Anyone have 2008 Vapor Silver w/ 18" Premium painted rims???

chadgt

I have been thinking about buying a 2008 SEL for my wife's car, and we have decided on Vapor Silver. However it appears that every dealer around Reading, PA (and perhaps everywhere) almost always orders all of their Edges with mostly the 18" chrome clad rims or just the standard 17" rims. We don't like the 17" rims and while the 18" are nice, after reading about all of the issues on here with these rims and the corrosion around the lip (which I even verified exists on a salesman's 2007 SEL at work) as well as possible chrome corrosion on top of that, I am more interested in the 18" premium painted rims. A dealer near work actually has a 2008 with these rims, however it is the copper color. I really liked these rims in person and feel they would look nicer and keep in good condition much longer than the clad rims. I would be very interested in anyone who has a 2008 vapor silver with 18" painted rims to see some pics of what that looks like together. (I did check through all of the gallery area and didn't see any). Please let me know if you have this color/wheel combo and/or know of any pics anywhere, as there are none on the ford site either (even when you do a build, you would think they'd show a pic of exactly what you're building...)

Thanks,

Chad

'96 Mustang GT

'97 Ranger XLT 4x4

Edited by chadgt

I have been thinking about buying a 2008 SEL for my wife's car, and we have decided on Vapor Silver. However it appears that every dealer around Reading, PA (and perhaps everywhere) almost always orders all of their Edges with mostly the 18" chrome clad rims or just the standard 17" rims. We don't like the 17" rims and while the 18" are nice, after reading about all of the issues on here with these rims and the corrosion around the lip (which I even verified exists on a salesman's 2007 SEL at work) as well as possible chrome corrosion on top of that, I am more interested in the 18" premium painted rims. A dealer near work actually has a 2008 with these rims, however it is the copper color. I really liked these rims in person and feel they would look nicer and keep in good condition much longer than the clad rims. I would be very interested in anyone who has a 2008 vapor silver with 18" painted rims to see some pics of what that looks like together. (I did check through all of the gallery area and didn't see any). Please let me know if you have this color/wheel combo and/or know of any pics anywhere, as there are none on the ford site either (even when you do a build, you would think they'd show a pic of exactly what you're building...)

Thanks,

Chad

'96 Mustang GT

'97 Ranger XLT 4x4

Chad,

I manage Springfield Ford in Delco PA and have an SEL in Vapor with the wheels in stock right now. You can come see it. I'm off of exit 3 of the blue route. Let me know if you want to see it....

Steve

• 3 months later...

Thanks,

Chad

'96 Mustang GT

'97 Ranger XLT 4x4

I ran into this exact same problem last week. The dealer couldn't find one for me in Dearborn, MI. Well not one with vista, sync, sirrius, and had to be SEL, couldn't be limited (car is for the wife so no leather seats allowed! she's a vegetarian. No i didn't tell her about the steering wheel, shhh!) Came close to one in Chicago, but was missing either sync or sirrius. My dealer didn't have any 18" PP rims, nor did the dealer they ended up trading to get the car. The only thing they would offer me is an even trade for 17" rims, which wasn't going to happen. So I ended up saying screw it and getting the Clad rims. They're pretty horrible looking, but we're dealing with it. Can't be to picky when you're buying a closeout.

Here's what I got

2008 SEL Vapor

18" chrome clad rims

vista roof

sirrius

sync

rear sensor

remote car starter

cargo mgmt

airbag/tire locks

5yr 75k bumber to bumper warranty

list price $32,445 (estimate because I don't have the paperwork in front of me)

A-plan

-5000 in rebates (8% financing)

total paid= 27,450 including tax, title, warranty, etc

-refinancing as soon as I get the title.

**so far she loves it, I'm already thinking about ebaying for the nav system, because the radio kind of sucks. No way I was paying $2k for it but I will shell out $500 and maybe $1-200 for install.

Good Luck!

Edited by fotd

I ran into this exact same problem last week. The dealer couldn't find one for me in Dearborn, MI. Well not one with vista, sync, sirrius, and had to be SEL, couldn't be limited (car is for the wife so no leather seats allowed! she's a vegetarian. No i didn't tell her about the steering wheel, shhh!)

Tell your wife not to eat the steering wheel and seats and you'll be fine :hysterical:

• 1 month later...
I ran into this exact same problem last week. The dealer couldn't find one for me in Dearborn, MI. Well not one with vista, sync, sirrius, and had to be SEL, couldn't be limited (car is for the wife so no leather seats allowed! she's a vegetarian. No i didn't tell her about the steering wheel, shhh!) Came close to one in Chicago, but was missing either sync or sirrius. My dealer didn't have any 18" PP rims, nor did the dealer they ended up trading to get the car. The only thing they would offer me is an even trade for 17" rims, which wasn't going to happen. So I ended up saying screw it and getting the Clad rims. They're pretty horrible looking, but we're dealing with it. Can't be to picky when you're buying a closeout.

Here's what I got

2008 SEL Vapor

18" chrome clad rims

vista roof

sirrius

sync

rear sensor

remote car starter

cargo mgmt

airbag/tire locks

5yr 75k bumber to bumper warranty

list price $32,445 (estimate because I don't have the paperwork in front of me)

A-plan

-5000 in rebates (8% financing)

total paid= 27,450 including tax, title, warranty, etc

-refinancing as soon as I get the title.

**so far she loves it, I'm already thinking about ebaying for the nav system, because the radio kind of sucks. No way I was paying $2k for it but I will shell out $500 and maybe $1-200 for install.

Good Luck!

You will not get the title till you pay it in full, the bank holds the title, I think that you can refinance it though, even without it...

Just got my Vapour silver with painted wheels in late August.

Dealer had to order it from the factory as we were not able to locate one in the entire province of Ontario with the options I was looking for.

I have had many positive compliments so far. Most peoples first comment is on how the really like the rims.

post-4051-1225429305_thumb.jpg

I think you should opt for an '09 with the "Brilliant Silver" paint. Wish it had been an option in '08. As for wheels I think anything besides the "chrome-clad" would be good. I saw a Lincoln MKS on the showroom floor with some really nice 20" polished cast aluminum wheels. The window sticker said $685 for the option. I wonder if I can get the dealer to swap???

Just got my Vapour silver with painted wheels in late August.

Dealer had to order it from the factory as we were not able to locate one in the entire province of Ontario with the options I was looking for.

I have had many positive compliments so far. Most peoples first comment is on how the really like the rims.

Damn ... when I got my Creme Brulle AWD LTD it came with chrome rims. I wanted painted rims ... so the Manager looked on the lot and saw one on another Edge. He swaped them out for me ... NO CHARGE!!! This was in March when sales were good. Today they should bend over backwards to get what you want. Sales numbers are down ... figure they would do what they can to make a sale .... :finger::finger::finger::finger::finger::finger::finger:

BTW ... I got mine at WhiteOaks on Mavis Dr. in Mississauga, ON. Been to many other dealers and this one has treated me the best.

BTW ... I got mine at WhiteOaks on Mavis Dr. in Mississauga, ON. Been to many other dealers and this one has treated me the best.

Well it was ordered because I wanted the LTD AWD vapour silver, painted wheels. tow package,/no BAMR/no Nav and roof rails.

Ended up tacking on remote start from the factory as well.

The dealer had a couple of units already on order and build dates already slotted in, and they had a window of opportunity to change the options to whatever I wanted.

Received the vehicle within 3 weeks of me telling them exactly what I wanted.

I didn't even give them any type of a deposit. Mohawk Ford on Upper James in Hamilton :hyper:

I have looked at other dealers mostly to check out their stock but when it comes time to actually buy I always go back there, even if I have to get them to swap cars with another dealer.

Edited by 08LTDEDGE

• 1 month later...