Heated Cooled Seats

Hello everyone.  I'm a longtime Ford guy, always owned Explorers, Escapes, F150s and now my first Edge.  Actually a MKX, 2011.  I have a problem that I find very little info online about and it involves the heated/cooled seats.  The touch screen display show them working with the exception of only 2 of the 3 lights illuminate.  So it appears they only go to medium heat or cool.  Neither heat or cool work at all anymore.  They worked this past weekend and then on Monday, they don't.  Research has led me to check fuses under hood which checked OK.  I also hooked up to Forscan in search of error codes.  Nothing.  Online it appears some Ford owners have had problems with the Dual Climate Control Seat Module (DCSM) which controls the function of the seat ( heat or cool ) and checks if the temp is too high ( to turn off ) or if a person is in the seat.  Not sure under which seat this is located or how to check?  I did check all the connection I could see under both seats.  I've also read about the thermo-electric device (TED) located under and on the back of each seat.  Doubt it could be those since both driver and passenger stopped working at the same time.  I'm stumped on this one.  Anyone have similar experience or ideas?

Thanks

Dan

I read something where another felliw had a simular problem with two lights, lightingThink it was in the explorer forum (dont hold me to that). 

The suggestion was to reset the DCSM module. The "dual control seat module" is under the drivers seat. It has 3 connectors going to it. One has 11 wires, one has 8 and one with 16 (or thereabouts). Anyway disconnect all three connectors and wait 15 minutes. Then plug back in.

I dont think it worked for him, shop found melted wires as the cause. Dont remember if he stated where.

Edited by enigma-2
  • Like 1

I spent some time today working on this issue.  I removed the driver seat and the seat memory control is under that one.  Passenger has the DCSM box.  Later this weekend I'll hook up to Forscan and try reading codes again.  Really at a loss on this one.  I did find $.80 in change under the plastic covers that go over the seat bolts though, so feeling kind of lucky.

Fixed!  Here's how.  When I looked over the wiring on the DCSM box originally, I removed the 2 small connectors but couldn't get the big one out.  I didn't see anything obvious and I tugged a bit on all the wires on the big connector to see if any were loose.  Looked fine to me but I kept thinking about why I couldn't get that big 12 wire connector out.  Originally I just thought it's at a bad angle and I must not be depressing the clip correctly.  Anyways went back out and tried it again.  I had a hell of a time getting it out.  I was to the point I was using a pliers and afraid I was going to destroy the connector or worse yet the DCSM box.  However the seats don't work so what do I have to lose?  Here is what I found when I finally got the connector out.  Pin was so burned it melted plastic so that is why it was stuck.  I ended up opening up the DCSM box to get full access to the pin that was all charred and had plastic chunks on it and polished it up with the wire wheel on my dremel.  Then I found the replacement plug on Rockauto, it was under $40 with shipping and the 5% off coupon.  Just finished installing it tonight and it works!!  I was really hoping the burned pin didn't progressively damage the box and it didn't.  Attached is the part number as well.  

burned.jpg

replacement.jpg

• Like 4

I should also add that I think the reason when using Forscan I didn't see the DCSM is probably because it didn't know it existed with the melted ground wire.  I've yet to hook it back up to Forscan to try to see if it's there but may end up doing that this weekend just because I'm curious.

• 1 year later...

Hey Derding, I got the same 2011 mkx that got the same symptoms.  About 3-4 years ago I left the windows open during a rain storm and ever since the heat and the cooling in the seats wouldn't work.  I would press the touch screen for heat or cooling and only 2 bars of the 3 would light up.  I got the forscan up on it and I didn't see the dcsm module on it.  ran thru all the other tests and they seemed to pass, except for a mirror issue on the driver seat module, the mirror seemed to work from what I could tell, and I don't think that has anything to do with the dcsm module.  I came across your post and I know it's been a year since you posted but hopefully you are still around to answer the question of if the dcsm module ever showed up after your fix.

I tried removing the connector to the dcsm and I don't know how that connector tab is supposed to go to release it, or if mine got melted to where it is hard to remove.  but i did notice that after fiddling around trying to get it off, I eventually got the touch screen to show 3 lights on both heat and cool of both seats although it doesn't seem to be actually turning on the heat or cooling on either.  I reconnected the forscan and still didn't see the dcsm listed under modules.

Busted the release tab off in trying to get the connector off, but after getting the connector off finally the pin was burnt out like yours.  I reseated it a bunch of times and finally the seats started working.  The DCSM showed up in forscan and tested fine.  I did order the bare connector from mouser and a bunch of pins before actually getting it working, so I'll have plenty of options.  I'm thinking of tapping off the ground wire and just adding a secondary ground on the vacant pin besides burnt pin.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi ? thanks for the info so far, mine has similar issue however passenger was working loudly at first and I have all 3 lights but no heat or air..... I'm gonna go check for this first off..... I'll be back to update as for my findings and hopefully am able to solve this issue as well as the AC not blowing cool air however has pressure in lines and fans r working as well as heat ...... It's summer and I only got 460 cooling over here (4 windows 60mph) and I'm dying ? lol..... ? Help!!!! Thanks for this info so I have. A baseline of where to start ...

• 1 month later...

I can’t find anything on this… but my rear heated seats won’t work. I press the buttons and no light. Pulled the back seat up to look for a loose wire and didn’t find anything. Check the fuse that I think is for the heated seats and it is fine. Which I assumed it would since the front heated seats work. 

I’m kinda lost and not sure what to look for. I have a warranty on it but it’s a pain to take it in and drop it for days. Just want the seats to work for the kids since cold weather is coming quickly.