Slow turns produce loud clicking sounds

rlassiter

I have an Edge LTD 20" Chrome Appearance wheels. After about 1000 miles I get a loud clicking sound from the front wheel area when I turn. If the wheels are straight I don't hear it. I hear it during all left and right turns regardless of speed. They can be slight turns or sharp turns for example, when turning a corning or pulling into the driveway. The clicking frequency increases as the wheel rotation increases. It is always present during turns. I can't see anything behind the wheels that is loose or dragging. I was going to wait until my 7500 m maintenance but now it is causing people to stare at my otherwise beautiful vehicle. Anyone out there have the same problem?

I have an Edge LTD 20" Chrome Appearance wheels. After about 1000 miles I get a loud clicking sound from the front wheel area when I turn. If the wheels are straight I don't hear it. I hear it during all left and right turns regardless of speed. They can be slight turns or sharp turns for example, when turning a corning or pulling into the driveway. The clicking frequency increases as the wheel rotation increases. It is always present during turns. I can't see anything behind the wheels that is loose or dragging. I was going to wait until my 7500 m maintenance but now it is causing people to stare at my otherwise beautiful vehicle. Anyone out there have the same problem?

The cover on the rim might be loose

thats where i would start.

I too have an 08 Edge LTD with the Premium 20" "hub caps". I have about 700 miles and also get the clicking sound from the front wheels. I also have a slight brass color on the rim towards the hub (driverside wheel). I called my dealer's service department - Monday they want to pull the wheel and have a look. I'll keep you posted.

My dealer found a TSB on this problem and Ford is replacing the front wheels. When I get it done I will ask to have all wheels done because when I rotate them later I will have the same problem with the current rear ones. I also have a 'pulls right' problem and they could not align the wheels. They had to rotate then align. They damaged the covers when attaching the alignment apparatus too. They said there was nothing to grab on to. Now that the wheels are being replaced it does not matter.

does anyone have the TSB reference number cause I am having the same thing happen and I would like to goto the dealer with as much info as possible

"On my service invoice it was TSB 08-7-2 Noise is coming from front 20" Chrome clad wheels" I have had the front 2 replaced. They cannot replace the other 2 until I have the problem (no preventative medicine) when I rotate them to the front.

I just had my front to rims replaced and I drove about a 1000km this past long weekend and by the time I got home they have started to creak again. I will give it a few days before I tell the service people about it and then see what happens. I can't wait to go through this again when I rotate the tires.

I just had my front to rims replaced and I drove about a 1000km this past long weekend and by the time I got home they have started to creak again. I will give it a few days before I tell the service people about it and then see what happens. I can't wait to go through this again when I rotate the tires.

They were going to only replace my front rims too... then I asked them about the "brass" color showing thru the chrome (towards the hub) on all four rims.. they called me back and said they will replace all four. The replacements are still on backorder.

They were going to only replace my front rims too... then I asked them about the "brass" color showing thru the chrome (towards the hub) on all four rims.. they called me back and said they will replace all four. The replacements are still on backorder.

Make sure they replace the entire WHEEL, not just the RIM.

• 1 month later...
There is a TSB for this problem. We had it a while back and the dealer fixed it. I think the TSB number is either 07-11-14 or 07-14-11.

So they replaced all four wheels yesterday... so far no clicking noise... I'll give it a few weeks - i bet it comes back. I do have to take it back - looks like they damaged one rim (maybe mounting it?) the clad part and the rim both have small dents (about the size of a flathead screwdriver). Plus this rim also has a crappy chrome job - you can see that brass color towards the hub.

Worst part about this entire deal is that I never really "loved" these rims.

Maybe it's time for some nice aftermarkets.

Edited by southjerseyedge

So they replaced all four wheels yesterday... so far no clicking noise... I'll give it a few weeks - i bet it comes back. I do have to take it back - looks like they damaged one rim (maybe mounting it?) the clad part and the rim both have small dents (about the size of a flathead screwdriver). Plus this rim also has a crappy chrome job - you can see that brass color towards the hub.

Worst part about this entire deal is that I ever really "loved" these rims.

Maybe it's time for some nice aftermarkets.

You missed my point. You keep calling them "rims". They're not "rims", they're wheels.

So one day after getting the wheels replaced.. they are clicking again.. this time not just turning but going straight too. I think these ones are worse than the first set! :banghead:

I stopped at the dealer on the way home from work - service manager said he would see if he could find out any more details and call me back. He said the only things that were reused were the center caps, lugs, and tires.

I asked him if Ford would be willing to downgrade (if you want to call it that) to a different wheel. I doubt that - but worth a try. Heck - I'd accept some of my $800 premium wheel upgrade back - then go out and buy aftermarkets. (that will never happen)

I'll see what the say next week... but for a 30k plus car this is not acceptable.

So far I love the rest of the car.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Sorry for the bad news guy, but dealers are being told to stay put for the time being while a new repair is being investigated. Keep in contact with your dealer, they should be able to get the latest from Technical Assistance or their engineer.

Is anyone aware of any update to this issue? My wife's Edge is making this noise with the chrome clad wheels, but I (she) can live with it until there is a permanent solution from Ford. Thanks!

Edited by brbheels