I do not "hate" the ST...

Nick Halstead

So, let me set the air straight on my ST criticism. I do not hate the ST. I don't think anyone who owns a Sport can. The ST is a mildly upgraded Sport, so as a Sport owner, you cannot dislike that. Some of you just don't want your STs compared to a Sport. I don't have a favorite manufacturer, I call it like I see it. I test drove a ST and even let the GM of the dealership push my Edge as hard as he wanted in return for doing so in the ST.  To me, it was like driving my Edge, without the Tune, I didn't say a stock Sport without a tune, I said mine. Give me the steering wheel and the black interior from belt line up and I'd be happy. GM of the dealership was totally shocked at the difference between a lowered and tuned sport over a stock ST. 2018 new Sports are still the better financial buy, extremely marked down if you haggle enough and then through the aftermarket parts at it with all the money you saved.

255mcxu.jpg

Edited by Nick Halstead
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, akirby said:

You’ve made it clear that you think anyone who buys a ST over a 2018 Sport is crazy.

If you prefer your tuned and lowered Sport to the ST that’s perfectly fine - more power to you.  

Can you please respect others who may prefer the ST for their own perfectly valid reasons?

yes they are, from a financial stand point as I stated in the convo that started all this

indeed

has never been an issue, if others can't handle blunt criticism during discussion/debate, they should add a "don't hurt my feelings" option to the login page so we know to agree with everything they post. 

• Like 1

Akirby, u noticed you seem to be very bothered by an opinion of one person, more so than other members. What if you leave em alone and see if complaints from other people crop up? 

Nick has fair points and is comparing hard things, he's not saying ST feels like sh1t, he's comparing real hard items that anyone can feel and touch and see. 

Between the 3 of us we manage very large groups of Edge owners, we should get along a little better. 

Let's stick to facts and not words like "hate". ST owners can perfectly well defend themselves if they want to, or choose to ignore Nick's experience completely. 

• Like 4

Fair enough, but there is a big difference between an opinion and stating your personal preference as a fact.

There are many reasons why one person might prefer a 2018 Sport over a 2019 ST or vice versa, many of which are completely subjective.

What I see are ST owners saying they think their vehicle is an improvement over their Sport and others telling them outright or at least strongly implying that they’re wrong and that’s the part I don’t like.

1 hour ago, 037 said:

Let's stick to facts and not words like "hate". ST owners can perfectly well defend themselves if they want to, or choose to ignore Nick's experience completely. 

Hate was an overreaction so I apologize for that but I don’t agree that we should allow members to attack each other and have to defend their purchases - that just causes arguments and unnecessary conflict.     

Just say “I prefer” or “I like” and don’t make judgements on other people’s purchases or opinions.  Just state the facts like the ST is no faster than the Sport and leave it at that.

I specifically remember someone saying that the ST had several upgrades over their previous Sport and someone else arguing with them saying it didn’t.   If someone has owned both and they feel the ST has better handling that’s just as valid.

2 hours ago, akirby said:

I specifically remember someone saying that the ST had several upgrades over their previous Sport and someone else arguing with them saying it didn’t.   If someone has owned both and they feel the ST has better handling that’s just as valid.

I don’t think I’ve ever had an arguement with anyone in the last 20 years besides when my uniform is on. Debating back and forth on a forum does not define itself as an arguement. Just like comparing a 2015 Edge Sport with 40,000 miles suspension to a 2019 ST with 100 miles is not a valid comparison, it is an opinion. People try and justify their purchases and that clouts their true results. I’m not saying that is the case here. We all know the ST has a better suspension, how much does that transfer over to actually notice, Id say not too much that the average person would ever notice if they drove them back to back brand new. I don’t have any allegience to Ford and don’t have a favorite car maker. 11 Fusion Hybrid, 13 Edge SE, 15 Edge Sport and I have watched Fords quality control with fitment degrade through the years. Looking back, I think the Edge Sport is about 20k too high on MSRP for what you get. Still love my Sport but its built like a $25k car not almost a $50k car. I call it like I see it, thats all I know man, some people cannot handle that and that does not mean i need to change my ways to assist their sensitivity levels. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, WWWPerfA_ZN0W said:

Hopefully they get the transmission issues worked out soon, and make this discussion null and void :)

I was just upset its not a performance orientated transmission. Edge is just bluntly fast. My Audi, slow as balls with maybe 200hp 240tq at wheels but is 1,000% more of a blast to drive due to the dual clutch.

I got the same 6 speed in my Continental that I have in the Edge (I think) and the Edge when tuned was a much more willing dancer. Comparing tuned to tuned by Livernois. Continental just feels lazy with the shifts even when the Mustang is not catching up. 

So yea... Could be worse. 

• Like 1

The Continental has proven difficult to tune 4 sure.  Has to be related to newer transmission shifting strategies used by Ford.  I think since the intro of the 2017 Fusion Sport, SOMEthing has changed significantly.

Have you worked with Brad/AJPTurbo ( bradleyfredrickfischer@yahoo.com ) or Matt/Gearhead ( https://www.ghtuning.com/ )?  Brad has tuned the Continental pretty well, I would get his input on what he can do for yours.  Matt has tunes with auto octane adjust as well.

20 hours ago, Nick Halstead said:

I call it like I see it, thats all I know man, some people cannot handle that and that does not mean i need to change my ways to assist their sensitivity levels. 

Nick - it’s not about assisting sensitivity levels.   It’s about maintaining a forum where everyone wants to participate without having to defend themselves.

You can easily state your opinions without being judgemental about others.