No compartment slot for charging cable

JCrew7384

Wondering if this is an oversight or just poor design. In the front compartment with the wireless charging, I have my charging cable (also for Carplay). But most of the time, I want the phone out of that compartment and waant to be able to close the door because the light at night in it is very bright. However, the door does not close with the charging cable sticking out. In my old Explorer, the front compartment had a little slot that when closed, the cable would still slide freely.

Am I missing something?

57 minutes ago, JCrew7384 said:

Wondering if this is an oversight or just poor design. In the front compartment with the wireless charging, I have my charging cable (also for Carplay). But most of the time, I want the phone out of that compartment and waant to be able to close the door because the light at night in it is very bright. However, the door does not close with the charging cable sticking out. In my old Explorer, the front compartment had a little slot that when closed, the cable would still slide freely.

Am I missing something?

I noticed the same thing. I end up stuffing it all in the compartment and closing the door. The problem then becomes the wireless charging pad. It picks up the phone and starts charging it and apple carplay disables. 

I'm thinking of cutting a little slot in the side so I can run the cable (it's a lease, will just deal with the consequences). Also the charging pad is in a terrible spot. Like that's a perfect compartment for napkins and other things, but now I can't fill it up if I want to use the wireless charging.

I get that the intent is to hide the phone to prevent useage while driving.

6 minutes ago, JCrew7384 said:

I'm thinking of cutting a little slot in the side so I can run the cable (it's a lease, will just deal with the consequences). Also the charging pad is in a terrible spot. Like that's a perfect compartment for napkins and other things, but now I can't fill it up if I want to use the wireless charging.

I get that the intent is to hide the phone to prevent useage while driving.

I just flip the phone upside down and leave it in the phone slot when connected to apple car play. I stuff an extra coil of cable in with it to keep it from slapping back and forth as I drive.  My napkin space is in the glove box or the center dash compartment at the top. as my co-pilot is responsible for any mess cleanup on trips. My 2011 didn't have either space so both are a luxury for me. If I do any mods it would be to add a fixed dock into the bottom of the phone slot so I dont need the cable. 

Edited by Fingernip

Just now, Fingernip said:

I just flip the phone upside down and leave it in the phone slot when connected to apple car play. I stuff an extra coil of cable in with it to keep it from slapping back and forth as I drive.  My napkin space is in the glove box or the center dash compartment at the top. as my co-pilot is responsible for any mess cleanup on trips. My 2011 didn't have either space so both are a luxury for me. 

That's what I've been doing but while driving at night, with that compartment open, the light is very bright and the only way to turn it off is shut the door, which I can't do with the wire stinking out.

I had some napkins up in that top compartment above the screen. Noticed that it got very hot in there. Not sure if its residual from the heating system since its been on, or heat from the screen. Either way, also bad industrial design. Wonder how hot it would get up there in the summer.

An option would be to cover the USB lights with thin strips of black electrical tape, or  black vinyl wrapping; both can be removed upon returning the lease and should reduce the light at night.

Agree overall it's a design flow. Should be able to connect apple car play or android auto via bluetooth or NFC; also should be able to turn charging pad on/off via a menu option.

20 minutes ago, ONEDGE16 said:

An option would be to cover the USB lights with thin strips of black electrical tape, or  black vinyl wrapping; both can be removed upon returning the lease and should reduce the light at night.

Agree overall it's a design flow. Should be able to connect apple car play or android auto via bluetooth or NFC; also should be able to turn charging pad on/off via a menu option.

https://www.carplaylife.com/feature/how-to-make-apple-carplay-wireless/

I thought this was interesting. Hopefully we will see an update to sync that will enable it. 

• 7 months later...