Air Conditioner Weak?

kaufman

I have been researching the edge and finally went to test drive when I was ready to buy...got in the car on a sunny day (Blazing Copper Limited) and was extremely disappointed about the following:

1) Air conditioner on driver's side was weaker than passenger. Felt like there was blockage in the middle of the vent on the right of the driver.

2) Impossible to aim the air vents at my face...they blow to the side of me. I thought maybe it was because I was short (5'3") so I made the sales guy and one other guy try...and none of them could feel the air without leaning hard to the right or left. They also felt the difference in air flow. Design was about a half inch off on either side of the driver...the vents should have been a bit wider.

Has anyone else had this problem or is it just this particular vehicle?

And please don't tell me that you don't like air blowing on your face...I live in Houston and it was 101 with humidity in the high 90's. :shades:

I still want one...but I don't want to die of a heat stroke.

I still want one...but I don't want to die of a heat stroke.

Ya know, I noticed this on my Edge also, but being in the Midwest, it's only a problem on the hot humid days-

WHICH ARE HERE!

So, I notice that the AC doesn't bring down the temp and the blower isn't as powerful as my other rides (the AC in my 71 Riviera will ice the chrome vents, but that's maybe the freon!).

I find that if the outside temp is above the 80s and the sun is hot, the AC in the Edge is to be found wanting.

However, I have rented a new Taurus Fusion, and a MKZ and have not had this problem (even in TX). I don;t have another Edge owner to compare to, except this forum.

Anyone else???

• 2 weeks later...

All of the above mentioned issues are present in my 08 Edge. That being said, the best thing I can manage to do is crank the AC as soon as I get in ...and either open the BAMR or at least hit the vent button for a few minutes. For some reason hitting the recirculate seems to help too. If nothing else the fan speed increases ( seemingly). Guess you are reusing the cooler inside air , instead of bringing in hotter outside fresh air. Overall, yes it is disappointing , but tolerable...

All of the above mentioned issues are present in my 08 Edge. That being said, the best thing I can manage to do is crank the AC as soon as I get in ...and either open the BAMR or at least hit the vent button for a few minutes. For some reason hitting the recirculate seems to help too. If nothing else the fan speed increases ( seemingly). Guess you are reusing the cooler inside air , instead of bringing in hotter outside fresh air. Overall, yes it is disappointing , but tolerable...

Hi all. :D All of the things that phoneguy states in the above quote help explain why we all should read our Owners Manuals. The reason I say that is because all of the things he says are specifically addressed in the Manual, but many of us do not know or do them.

Our Owners Manuals (on page 29 in my MKZ Manual, yours may vary) specifically recommend the following for maximum quick cooling: For Max AC - In order to achieve maximum cooling performance, press the pictogram which selects the dash vents, press the AC button, press the recirculate button, set the temperature to 60° F (16° C) and the choose the highest blower setting.

Regarding the "Recirculate" button, the Manual states: Recirculation control: Press to engage/disengage. Used to

manually enable or disable recirculated air operation. When activated, recirculates air in the cabin thereby reducing the amount of time to cool down the interior of the vehicle.

Also, the Owners Manual always recommends that you start your car, start your AC system, then open your windows and sunroof (if you have one) for a minute or two to let the hot air out, thus making it easier for your AC system to start initial cooling of your car.

Of course, I realize that some of us may have AC units that need servicing. I just have a feeling that a few of us do not really know how to properly set the Automatic Temperature Controls, and a quick read of the Manual may help.

If the above tips do not help, best bet is to bring it in for service.

I follow the directions in the Owners manual and my AC works great and cools the car down to a frosty temperature (knock on wood).

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

Our Edge doesn't have the BAMR, nor the electronic controls for the A/C. However, we do set it to Max A/C which directs the cold air to the vents. However, I do notice that when the glove compartment is opened, the A/C seems to blow better. I am taking mine in to check that out.

Where do you all live, Death Valley? I just got back from a 10 day trip in mine and when I crank it up and put it on MAX it nearly freezes me out.

Spent most of the time with the temp setting in about the middle of the blue zone.

Pretty close; Arizona. At highway speeds, there is plenty of cooling even at 100 plus degrees. Its around town that more capacity would be better.

Edited by MKX2007

I don't think some of you quite understand the complaint. Have you ever owned an import? If you've ever been in a late model Toyota, Acura, Honda, etc... no matter how many vents were in the car, you could crank it to max whenever you got into it (on a hot day) and instantly feel a blast of air in your face should you happen to have the vents pointing at you. Of course it may have taken a few seconds for that air to turn cold just like any car on a hot day, but nonetheless their fans could push enough air rapidly enough for you to feel a decent blast.

Many owners here, including myself who live in hot states can barely feel the air even when set to high with recycle turned on. Sure enough, the car will cool just fine after a minute or two and yes once the car is cooled, it can maintain the temperature fine at low/medium to medium settings. The basis of the complaint is that (1) Ford made an AC barely adequate for the car for the number (and sizes) of the vents it installed. (2) The design of the vents means it's nearly impossible to aim the driver-side vents directly at the driver's face. I've heard this complaint in other posts and in different forums. You basically have to shift your head over 1/2 a foot to the right in order to feel the air.

I got in a friend's FJ Cruiser today during lunch and was completely disheartened when he switched the Fan to Medium/High and I felt the blast from his vents. Yes I know an FJ Cruiser does not have rear vents, so this is not a great analogy. However, I've been in a friend's Acura MDX as well as a Toyota Highlander to know this argument doesn't hold water.

Like I said, the Edge's AC will cool the car and maintain the temperature just fine, but it still shows that Ford has some work to do in polishing this gem. I think the consensus on this forum is that the majority of us love our Edge's. What we have here is constructive criticism that Ford needs to hear.

• Like 1

I don't think some of you quite understand the complaint. Have you ever owned an import? If you've ever been in a late model Toyota, Acura, Honda, etc... no matter how many vents were in the car, you could crank it to max whenever you got into it (on a hot day) and instantly feel a blast of air in your face should you happen to have the vents pointing at you. Of course it may have taken a few seconds for that air to turn cold just like any car on a hot day, but nonetheless their fans could push enough air rapidly enough for you to feel a decent blast.

Many owners here, including myself who live in hot states can barely feel the air even when set to high with recycle turned on. Sure enough, the car will cool just fine after a minute or two and yes once the car is cooled, it can maintain the temperature fine at low/medium to medium settings. The basis of the complaint is that (1) Ford made an AC barely adequate for the car for the number (and sizes) of the vents it installed. (2) The design of the vents means it's nearly impossible to aim the driver-side vents directly at the driver's face. I've heard this complaint in other posts and in different forums. You basically have to shift your head over 1/2 a foot to the right in order to feel the air.

I got in a friend's FJ Cruiser today during lunch and was completely disheartened when he switched the Fan to Medium/High and I felt the blast from his vents. Yes I know an FJ Cruiser does not have rear vents, so this is not a great analogy. However, I've been in a friend's Acura MDX as well as a Toyota Highlander to know this argument doesn't hold water.

Like I said, the Edge's AC will cool the car and maintain the temperature just fine, but it still shows that Ford has some work to do in polishing this gem. I think the consensus on this forum is that the majority of us love our Edge's. What we have here is constructive criticism that Ford needs to hear.

I understand the issue just fine. Having owned a 2002 Maxima, also with manual A/C controls, I can attest to that. But that car, even on a 100+ degree day and having a sunroof, cooled off rapidly. Without stating the obvious about vehicle size, there is a legitimate issue where the A/C is not blowing strong enough.

I'd like to see who's got the issue where opening the glove compartment seems to cause the A/C to work better. With that in mind, I am wondering how the A/C is "plumbed" where the glove compartment seems to restrict airflow. Guaranteed, I am not the only one.

Prinz,

My comments were obviously directed at the one telling us all to "RTFM - Read the @#$%ing Manual", and not you or anyone else who were agreeing with the questionable power of the AC fan.

Hi cbEdge. :D Unfortunately, you misunderstood both the meaning and the intent of my reply. Nobody in this thread, including me (since obviously I am "the one"), stated to ""RTFM - Read the @#$%ing Manual" (your words).

I took the time to copy and paste information from the Owners Manual (not "RTFM") meant to help other members try and obtain maximum AC efficiency. This information was meant for those who may not have been aware of it.

Whenever I quote something from the Owners Manual, I always state that the information is copied and pasted from there, so that anyone who wishes can verify that what I have told them is true. Certainly there is nothing wrong wrong with that, correct? Let''s face it, there are people on the Internet (and even a few on this Forum) who dispense incorrect information, usually accidentally but incorrect nonetheless.

If you were aware of the information I posted, that is good. But perhaps others did not know this information.

In fact, it was obvious that some were not aware of this information. That is why most of us are here; To help each other by exchanging information.

In addition, I also added this specific statement (and this is an exact quote from my post), "If the above tips do not help, best bet is to bring it in for service". So I acknowledged the fact that our fellow members complaints are valid ones, and if the Owners Manual information does not help they should bring their vehicle to the Dealer. Not sure how you can equate any of that to being a rude statement like "RTFM". That is something I have never said to anyone, in any forum.

Nowhere do I or anyone else in this thread state that we doubt some Edge owners may have AC systems that are not running as well as they should. Again, simply mentioned tips that are in the Owners Manual, then recommended that we all should look at our Owners Manuals (common sense that I will tell to everyone), then recommended seeing the Dealer for service if there is still a problem. Makes complete sense if read properly.

Much different advice than "RTFM".

Hopefully you now understand that my intent was not to be rude at all. I was just trying to help those who asked for help.

Edited by bbf2530

Hi cbEdge. :D Unfortunately, you misunderstood both the meaning and the intent of my reply. Nobody in this thread, including me (since obviously I am "the one"), stated to ""RTFM - Read the @#$%ing Manual" (your words).

I took the time to copy and paste information from the Owners Manual (not "RTFM") meant to help other members try and obtain maximum AC efficiency. This information was meant for those who may not have been aware of it.

Certainly there is nothing wrong wrong with that, correct? If you were aware of the information I posted, that is good. But perhaps others did not know this information.

In fact, it was obvious that some were not aware of this information. That is why most of us are here; To help each other by exchanging information.

In addition, I also added this specific statement (and this is an exact quote from my post), "If the above tips do not help, best bet is to bring it in for service". So I acknowledged the fact that our fellow members complaints are valid ones, and if the Owners Manual information does not help they should bring their vehicle to the Dealer. Not sure how you can equate any of that to being a rude statement like "RTFM". That is something I have never said to anyone, in any forum.

Nowhere do I or anyone else in this thread state that we doubt some Edge owners may have AC systems that are not running as well as they should. Again, simply mentioned tips that are in the Owners Manual, then recommended seeing the Dealer for service if there is still a problem. Makes complete sense if read properly.

Much different advice than "RTFM".

Hopefully you now understand that my intent was not to be rude at all. I was just trying to help those who asked for help.

GEEEZZ first it's weak breaks. Now it's weak A/C

Staff. Are you reading these posts???????????????

Prinz,

My comments were obviously directed at the one telling us all to "RTFM - Read the @#$%ing Manual", and not you or anyone else who were agreeing with the questionable power of the AC fan.

cb: I wasn't posting to be confrontational or disagreeable as I am in the same boat as those who have the issue.

However, I find it VERY wierd that whenever the wife or I open the glove compartment, the air conditioning seems to blow better. It is as if the glove compartment is acting like an intake which allows more air to get pulled in. None of the other cars I have owned in the past have done this. I have brought it to the dealer's attention and they are perplexed as well. I am bringing it in this Saturday to have this and a few other things looked at.

Have you had a chance to test the glove box theory yet?

bbf: I have read the manual from cover to cover. However, what's interesting about this is that everyone who is reporting this has a common thread of how hot it is. For instance, our Edge has seen temps around 120 degrees and it does take a very long time to cool down. I have driven an E350 van which is significantly bigger and it didn't even take as long as the Edge to cool down, even with 15 people in it.

Edited by PrinzII

bbf: I have read the manual from cover to cover. However, what's interesting about this is that everyone who is reporting this has a common thread of how hot it is. For instance, our Edge has seen temps around 120 degrees and it does take a very long time to cool down. I have driven an E350 van which is significantly bigger and it didn't even take as long as the Edge to cool down, even with 15 people in it.

Hi PrinzII. :D I completely understand your concerns and think that a trip to the Dealer is probably the best course of action for everyone who is having this problem. When I copy and paste information from the Owners Manual and recommend that we all take a look at it, that advice is obviously aimed at those who do not read the Owners Manual, not those like you who do read it. You would be surprised how many people never even crack it open. My advice is not meant in a mean way, and there is nothing personal meant towards anyone. It is just general advice for those who have not read the Manual..

Concerning the A/C flow problem: I see you have already been to the Dealer and they are perplexed as well. I wonder if perhaps there is a disconnected duct that is causing the problem? It could explain the "open glove compartment/better air flow" mystery.

Just a wild guess and probably not the cause, but figured I would throw it out there.

Edited by bbf2530

Hi PrinzII. :D I completely understand your concerns and think that a trip to the Dealer is probably the best course of action for everyone who is having this problem. When I copy and paste information from the Owners Manual and recommend that we all take a look at it, that advice is obviously aimed at those who do not read the Owners Manual, not those like you who do read it. You would be surprised how many people never even crack it open. My advice is not meant in a mean way, and there is nothing personal meant towards anyone. It is just general advice for those who have not read the Manual..

Concerning the A/C flow problem: I see you have already been to the Dealer and they are perplexed as well. I wonder if perhaps there is a disconnected duct that is causing the problem? It could explain the "open glove compartment/better air flow" mystery.

Just a wild guess and probably not the cause, but figured I would throw it out there.

Even though it's a wild guess, it sounds plausible. Another angle is that something inherent in the design is restricting the intake.

I have an 08 MKX and after reading this thread I tried my A/C with the glove compartment opened and closed. I cannot detect a difference in air flow but there is a noticeable difference in the sound from the blower. It looks like the cabin air filter is located directly behind the glove compartment which could contribute to the change in sound when opened. I am in southern Ontario and temp is in the low 80's here with moderate humidity. No problem with cooling. I was in Phoenix a few years back and I can see why you definitely need a strong A/C when the temps are in the 100's - ouch!

MKX, you and my wife discovered this on our respective vehicles. Thank you for confirming that it's not just me.

I discovered this by accident one day when I opened the glovebpx while the engine was running. The fan seemed to immediatly speed up, so I closed the glovebox & opened it again & sure enough, there is a higher volume of air coming through the vents.

I discovered this by accident one day when I opened the glovebpx while the engine was running. The fan seemed to immediatly speed up, so I closed the glovebox & opened it again & sure enough, there is a higher volume of air coming through the vents.

The theory regarding the in-cabin air filter seems quite plausible and I will examine that when I take it in Saturday.

Edited by PrinzII