Air Conditioner Weak?

kaufman

I have noticed the weak AC for sure here in Savannah. We have VERY high humidity and you need all the AC you can get.

Ā 

Glove box theory. As others have stated, opening the glove box does increase teh sound, but it changes absolutely nothing regarding air flow.

Ā 

Vents. Not very strong air flow because the openings are oversized. They really should have also designed the vents so you could actually shut off them selectively. My wife hates the fact that she cannot turn hers off. It would also be great to be able to shut off the rear vents. This would allow more airflow on the driver or front passenger.

Ā 

With all that said. My air still cools off the car adequately. Around town driving does take a little while but it gets there.

• 3 weeks later...
I'd like to see who's got the issue where opening the glove compartment seems to cause the A/C to work better.

Ā 

okay.. I do not use the AC much here in SoCal where I live. But I did today AND I happened to have to reach in the glove box for something and the moment I opened it it was like holy :censored:

Ā 

I had not really followed this thread and never read about this glove box issue. but I can tell you, as soon as I got home I searched here and sure enough, others notice it.

Ā 

I am virtually positive that it is not just the 'sound' that increases. that would imply the glove box door is acting as a sound insulator to a degree.. in my case, you can notice air flow change. sound for sure, but air flow is noticeable. I was very surprised no doubt. hand in front of vent and glove box door closed and then open door and sure enough, a bit more air. yes on sound, but air also.

Ā 

I have not looked into this deeper to see why.. but it kind of implies to me not a loose or disconnected duct, but a duct that has cut outs in it to allow the door to close in the available space and when the door opens, those cut outs are free to let air flow past as the portion of the box has moved out of the way. very interesting and no doubt there.

Now, you have me thinking about testing some stuff in the glove compartment to see if it gets cool.

Ā 

Ā 

The cooled glovebox is my assumption (yes, we all know what that can do) because I stuck my hand in the glovebox and held it as far closed as I could and felt airflow. Albeit, it wasn't extreme, but there was air moving in there.

Edited by DJ Nap

The cooled glovebox is my assumption (yes, we all know what that can do) because I stuck my hand in the glovebox and held it as far closed as I could and felt airflow. Albeit, it wasn't extreme, but there was air moving in there.

Ā 

You're correct. The plastic of the glove compartment was cool to the touch.

I did three things that helped the airflow/cooling issue.

Ā 

1. I used black duct tape to completely seal off the rear air vents. Is it ugly?Probaly, but since I live alone and noone is hardly ever in the backseat, no problem.

Ā 

2. I tinted the driver and passenger doors which helps keep out some of the heat.

Ā 

3. I put a tint strip across the top of the windshield(i think its called an "eyebrow"). That contributed to keeping the hot Dallas sun from heating up the interior a bit.

Ā 

Alltogether these three things seemed to help quite a bit. I think Ford dropped the ball as far as the actual airflow coming out of the vents and the fact that there are only four vents. I have never had a problem with cooling down, but it really could have been designed better.Jen :burnout:

• 9 months later...
Hi PrinzII. :D I completely understand your concerns and think that a trip to the Dealer is probably the best course of action for everyone who is having this problem. When I copy and paste information from the Owners Manual and recommend that we all take a look at it, that advice is obviously aimed at those who do not read the Owners Manual, not those like you who do read it. You would be surprised how many people never even crack it open. My advice is not meant in a mean way, and there is nothing personal meant towards anyone. It is just general advice for those who have not read the Manual..

Ā 

Concerning the A/C flow problem: I see you have already been to the Dealer and they are perplexed as well. I wonder if perhaps there is a disconnected duct that is causing the problem? It could explain the "open glove compartment/better air flow" mystery.

Ā 

Just a wild guess and probably not the cause, but figured I would throw it out there.

Ā 

Good luck. :beerchug:

Ā 

My mechanic suggested this...there is a cabin air filter located behind the glove box. This is why opening the glovebox increases the air flow. That fiter was DISGUSTING when I bought my 07 Edge. Airflow improved 100% after that. I can't explain it on new vehicles, but this may be something to look at for used.

I've got 4500 miles on mine purchased in March and the A/C is not very good. Can't believe my cabin air filter needs replaced. Love my Edge, but the A/C doesn't work very well. I keep the sunshade on the BAMR closed in the heat, turn the fan all the way up and set it on Reycle. Still it isn't very good. Oh Well nothings perfect, but the A/C worked good on all my other Fords. Go Figure--ce

• 1 year later...

Hello, My wife and I bought our 2008 edge during the winter and didn't know the suprise we were going to get this summer. The air conditioner was terrible barely blew out at all.

Ā 

The dealership said "oh suuuure we'll check it out for you but if theres nothing wrong we'll charge you $95, that didnt sit well being I have a warranty. Doesn't matter they are legal conartists.

Ā 

I just got back from the Ford dealership after being ripped off $95 service fee to tell me/change my AIR CONDITIONER FILTER. I am so pist I could spit kick stomp cuss etc.

Ā 

I can only pray that someone comes along and sees this before getting ripped by the dealership.

Ā 

How to change this filter I am yet to discover, however I am sure I will find out because I refuse to go back to the dealership.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, My wife and I bought our 2008 edge during the winter and didn't know the suprise we were going to get this summer. The air conditioner was terrible barely blew out at all.

Ā 

The dealership said "oh suuuure we'll check it out for you but if theres nothing wrong we'll charge you $95, that didnt sit well being I have a warranty. Doesn't matter they are legal conartists.

Ā 

I just got back from the Ford dealership after being ripped off $95 service fee to tell me/change my AIR CONDITIONER FILTER. I am so pist I could spit kick stomp cuss etc.

Ā 

I can only pray that someone comes along and sees this before getting ripped by the dealership.

Ā 

How to change this filter I am yet to discover, however I am sure I will find out because I refuse to go back to the dealership.

Just back track through this thread and you can find detailed instructions. It is behind the glove box. There is an easy way to remove the entire glove box without tools. Once you've done this you will see a small retrangular door. Open it and the filter is behind it. If you think you're pissed now wait until you see how much the dealer wants for the replacement. :censored: None of the usual auto parts stores carry the filter or at least they didn't when I changed mine in May. You can find them on the internet cheap. I was able to buy 2 and including the shipping it was still cheaper than buying fromt the dealer.

Ā 

Good Luck

• 4 months later...

I have a 2008 Ford Edge and I live in Miami so a proper working ac is essential. When I first got the car it worked fine but the air flow became worse and worse as time went on. I did some research on the internet and I have fixed the problem and the air flow has returned and it is pumping out very cold air and full air.

Ā 

The problem is with the ac cabin filter. This filter lays behind the glove box and in most models is a screen that can be cleaned and reinsterted or if it has a filter you can buy them at a local auto parts (motorcraft part that cost me $20.00).

Ā 

Once I took off the glove box and opened up the filter the air instantly returned very strong. I had a screen and not a filter (returned the filter so I would recommend you do not buy a filter until you determine you have either a filter or screen).

Ā 

Here are the steps to fix this and it takes about 10 minutes from start to finish...

Ā 

1. Open the passengers side door, then open the glove compartment.

Ā 

2. Remove the contents from the glove compartment.

Ā 

3. Disconnect the string-hold from the right side of the glove compartment by unhooking the loop on the end of it from the plastic tab on the glove compartment.

Ā 

4. Reach up to the top rear sides of the glove compartment and gently push in on its side to release the upper rear stops from their rails.

Ā 

5. Allow the glove compartment to slowly pivot down towards the floorboard. This will reveal the cabin air filter access door behind the glove compartment.

Ā 

6. Press in on the lock of the release tab for the cabin air filter access door on the left side and pull open the access door.

Ā 

7. Slide the cabin air filter out of its compartment and if it is a screen clean it thoroughly and reinsert, if it is a filter either clean the filter or replace and reinsert.

Ā 

8. Install the replacement cabin air filter and reverse the above steps to complete the task.

Ā 

Turn on your ac and enjoy! This is a simple process that I plan on doing each time I change my oil.

Ā 

If this helps let me know at jhorn7570@yahoo.com. Enjoy your Ford Edge!

• 4 months later...

I was so disgusted by the weak air flow that I was about to trade the car in. But then I was told about the in cabin air filter that is located behind the glovebox. I took the glove box out and pulled the filter out and it was completely caked up. I used an air compressor, and even that took some effort, but once it was cleaned out, it was like magic! The air flow quadrupled, and it didn't cost me a cent. Definitely worth a check! I have never had to change or clean one of these in any vehicle before, so it was a surprise. That's another reason the glove box door seems to make a difference because the blower is behind it.

• Like 1

***THIS WORKED**** Thanks a million! Please give jhorn7570@yahoo.com a HUGE KUDOS***Way to go!

Ā 

I was ready to trade it in. I took my car to two different dealerships, the first one stated "That's just how it is!" Great answer huh? The second dealership at least filled up the freon and replaced some o-rings. The air is cold and plenty forceful. *** I have just over 100K miles

Ā 

*****************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

THE FIX - read on

The problem is with the ac cabin filter. This filter lays behind the glove box and in most models is a screen that can be cleaned and reinsterted or if it has a filter you can buy them at a local auto parts (motorcraft part that cost me $20.00).

Ā 

Once I took off the glove box and opened up the filter the air instantly returned very strong. I had a screen and not a filter (returned the filter so I would recommend you do not buy a filter until you determine you have either a filter or screen).

Ā 

Here are the steps to fix this and it takes about 10 minutes from start to finish...

Ā 

1. Open the passengers side door, then open the glove compartment.

Ā 

2. Remove the contents from the glove compartment.

Ā 

3. Disconnect the string-hold from the right side of the glove compartment by unhooking the loop on the end of it from the plastic tab on the glove compartment.

Ā 

4. Reach up to the top rear sides of the glove compartment and gently push in on its side to release the upper rear stops from their rails.

Ā 

5. Allow the glove compartment to slowly pivot down towards the floorboard. This will reveal the cabin air filter access door behind the glove compartment.

Ā 

6. Press in on the lock of the release tab for the cabin air filter access door on the left side and pull open the access door.

Ā 

7. Slide the cabin air filter out of its compartment and if it is a screen clean it thoroughly and reinsert, if it is a filter either clean the filter or replace and reinsert.

Ā 

8. Install the replacement cabin air filter and reverse the above steps to complete the task.

Ā 

Turn on your ac and enjoy! This is a simple process that I plan on doing each time I change my oil.

Ā 

If this helps let me know at jhorn7570@yahoo.com. Enjoy your Ford Edge!

• 3 weeks later...

Ok you guys may have made my day I am going to try cleaning the air filter this weekend. I have never even heard of an AC filter in a car I guess you learn something everyday, I love everything about my Edge EXCEPT the AC. I live in Texas and a good AC is a MUST! I was seriously thinking about just selling it after I took it to the dealership last summer and they told me "Thats the way it is". I dealt with it last year but this year I was DONE with the AC. It makes sense it is a filter because I have had the Edge for three years and I did not notice any issues the first year.

Ā 

Hopefully that will fix it and thanks to those that posted about it!

Ā 

Ā 

Edit to post above:

I successfully cleaned my AC Cabin screen filter this weekend and the AC works GREAT now. The difference is truly amazing. Hind sight it makes sense this was the issue since the AC was not an issue when I first bought my Edge. I canā€™t believe it was just this stupid clogged screen that was causing the issue. I'm even more surprised the dealership I took it to did not suggest this. Oh well works now and the fix took 10 minutes and cost 0 $ so I am happy and cool now. I'll just remember to clean it before every summer along with waxing and a coolant flush. It's hot here in Texas! Big thanks again to those that posted a solution to the problem!

Edited by BigTex

• 2 weeks later...

I have an 08 edge SEL, no climate control. I have always been disappointed with the a/c because the driver side vents hardly blow, I figured it was just poor placement of the vents in relation to the steering wheel, etc. I live in New Orleans, so I expect it to be hot, but my 1996 Camry had a better a/c than this car.

A few days ago I started hearing a screeching noise coming from the air vents when I turn or break. Particularly turning left. Then I realize that there is water coming out of the sides of the center dash all over the carpet on both the driver side and passenger side. This had to happen over the 4th of July holiday, so of course no where was open. I am bringing it in today... but I am assuming it is the evaporator core.

Ā 

Do yall know of anything else it could be? And any ideas on how much this one is going to cost to fix?

Ā 

Ā 

This sucks, and I am sweating like a pig on the way to work.

I have an 08 edge SEL, no climate control. I have always been disappointed with the a/c because the driver side vents hardly blow, I figured it was just poor placement of the vents in relation to the steering wheel, etc. I live in New Orleans, so I expect it to be hot, but my 1996 Camry had a better a/c than this car.

A few days ago I started hearing a screeching noise coming from the air vents when I turn or break. Particularly turning left. Then I realize that there is water coming out of the sides of the center dash all over the carpet on both the driver side and passenger side. This had to happen over the 4th of July holiday, so of course no where was open. I am bringing it in today... but I am assuming it is the evaporator core.

Ā 

Do yall know of anything else it could be? And any ideas on how much this one is going to cost to fix?

Ā 

Ā 

This sucks, and I am sweating like a pig on the way to work.

Ā 

Hopefully it's just a clogged drain hose.

I was having the same issue with the air not blowing very hard. I cleaned the cabin air filter and now it's blowing great. The filter is located behind the glove box. I had to remove the glove box to get to it, but its very easy to do. Next, remove the cover to the filter. There is a tab on the left that you have to push in. Next pull out the filter and clean it. I just used my fingers to wipe it off. It's sort of like removing the lint from the lint trap on a dryer. Replace everything and your air should blow a lot harder.

• 1 month later...

Hi all. :D All of the things that phoneguy states in the above quote help explain why we all should read our Owners Manuals. The reason I say that is because all of the things he says are specifically addressed in the Manual, but many of us do not know or do them.

Ā 

Our Owners Manuals (on page 29 in my MKZ Manual, yours may vary) specifically recommend the following for maximum quick cooling: For Max AC - In order to achieve maximum cooling performance, press the pictogram which selects the dash vents, press the AC button, press the recirculate button, set the temperature to 60Ā° F (16Ā° C) and the choose the highest blower setting.

Ā 

Regarding the "Recirculate" button, the Manual states: Recirculation control: Press to engage/disengage. Used to

manually enable or disable recirculated air operation. When activated, recirculates air in the cabin thereby reducing the amount of time to cool down the interior of the vehicle.

Ā 

Also, the Owners Manual always recommends that you start your car, start your AC system, then open your windows and sunroof (if you have one) for a minute or two to let the hot air out, thus making it easier for your AC system to start initial cooling of your car.

Ā 

Of course, I realize that some of us may have AC units that need servicing. I just have a feeling that a few of us do not really know how to properly set the Automatic Temperature Controls, and a quick read of the Manual may help.

Ā 

If the above tips do not help, best bet is to bring it in for service.

Ā 

I follow the directions in the Owners manual and my AC works great and cools the car down to a frosty temperature (knock on wood).

Ā 

Edited by Kingster2424

Ok all of what you have said is good to read if you are 16. I have an 08 Limited and I am very dissapointed at the A/C in this car. It blows out like my second setting in my Expedition when it's on recirculation and full blast in the Edge. Horrible design flaw as well as with the dash glare from my car. Don't get me wrong I love my car but 2 very dissapointing flaws that shouldn't be on a 35K car! "Just sayin"...... Oh and yes I have replaced my cabin air filter!

• 6 months later...

Hi PrinzII. :D I completely understand your concerns and think that a trip to the Dealer is probably the best course of action for everyone who is having this problem. When I copy and paste information from the Owners Manual and recommend that we all take a look at it, that advice is obviously aimed at those who do not read the Owners Manual, not those like you who do read it. You would be surprised how many people never even crack it open. My advice is not meant in a mean way, and there is nothing personal meant towards anyone. It is just general advice for those who have not read the Manual..

Ā 

Concerning the A/C flow problem: I see you have already been to the Dealer and they are perplexed as well. I wonder if perhaps there is a disconnected duct that is causing the problem? It could explain the "open glove compartment/better air flow" mystery.

Ā 

Just a wild guess and probably not the cause, but figured I would throw it out there.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

I own a 2007 Ford Edge SEL and have had the same exact problems.. My EDGE A/C blows cold as hell but it takes a while. What I have noticed is that the Driver and Passenger only have 4 vents total... The Passenger vents always blow harder and more efficiently than my driver vents.. I have cleaned the filter numerous times and that is always FORDS explanation.. A piece of paper was blocking the vent.. They have actually told me that 3 times.. Well guess what, there is nothing in my glove compartment... LOL!! I also see that the rear passengers only have those two small vents right behind the center console.. In my honest opinion I feel that the vehicle doesn't have enough vents to cool the entire vehicle off fast enough and that's why its taking time, coupled with not enough pressure. The vehicle is cold as hell once it cools down but it just takes FOREVER.. I live in Orlando Florida and on a HOT day, I can let the windows down and turn the A/C to full blast and recirc and it truly takes about 15 minutes to cool the entire vehicle down to were I am cumfy.. Now I am 6'0 260lbs and very athletic and can say that I love my house on about 70 degrees year round.. i truly love cold air so maybe its just me, but other Edge owners I have spoken too locally state that they wished there AC just had more pressure and hit them in the face.