Super Grabby Brakes - 2016 - Build 31-May-2016

evh

We bought a used 2016 last summer that is still under warranty.  Ever since we got it, the brakes will send you through the windshield.  I have never ever been in a car where they are so grabby.  Every time.  I searched the forum and found the following info below.  Does anyone know if this has been extended past the 3/23/2016 build date?  As mine was built a few months after that.  Any other info you can share?  I want to be loaded with information before I hit the dealer up.

Thx.

Overly Sensitive Brake Application At Low Speed And/Or In Cold/Wet Conditions – 2015-2016 Ford Edge & 2016 Lincoln MKX
oemdtc June 2, 2016 Diagnostic Tips

2015-2016 Edge And 2016 Lincoln MKX – Overly Sensitive Brake Application At Low Speed And/Or In Cold/Wet Conditions – Built On Or Before 3/23/2016

Some 2015-2016 Edge and 2016 Lincoln MKX vehicles built on or before 3/23/2016 may exhibit overly sensitive brake applications. This will typically occur at low speed and/or in cold/wet conditions.

To correct the condition, install an updated brake booster with part number F2GZ-2005-F (only 2.0L GTDI with 17” rotors) or F2GZ-2005-E (all except 2.0L GTDI with 17” rotors).

PART NUMBER PART NAME
F2GZ-2005-F Brake Booster 2.0L GTDI with 17” Rotors
F2GZ-2005-E All Except 2.0L GTDI with 17” Rotors

Refer to Workshop Manual, Section 206-07.

4 hours ago, evh said:

We bought a used 2016 last summer that is still under warranty.  Ever since we got it, the brakes will send you through the windshield.  I have never ever been in a car where they are so grabby.  Every time.  I searched the forum and found the following info below.  Does anyone know if this has been extended past the 3/23/2016 build date?  As mine was built a few months after that.  Any other info you can share?  I want to be loaded with information before I hit the dealer up.

Thx.

Overly Sensitive Brake Application At Low Speed And/Or In Cold/Wet Conditions – 2015-2016 Ford Edge & 2016 Lincoln MKX
oemdtc June 2, 2016 Diagnostic Tips

2015-2016 Edge And 2016 Lincoln MKX – Overly Sensitive Brake Application At Low Speed And/Or In Cold/Wet Conditions – Built On Or Before 3/23/2016

Some 2015-2016 Edge and 2016 Lincoln MKX vehicles built on or before 3/23/2016 may exhibit overly sensitive brake applications. This will typically occur at low speed and/or in cold/wet conditions.

To correct the condition, install an updated brake booster with part number F2GZ-2005-F (only 2.0L GTDI with 17” rotors) or F2GZ-2005-E (all except 2.0L GTDI with 17” rotors).

PART NUMBER PART NAME
F2GZ-2005-F Brake Booster 2.0L GTDI with 17” Rotors
F2GZ-2005-E All Except 2.0L GTDI with 17” Rotors

Refer to Workshop Manual, Section 206-07.

replacing the booster (the "power" in power brakes) would make sense if the new booster is more progressive or requires more foot/pedal pressure. If you think about how brakes work (hydraulics), the booster would be the only culprit unless of course every caliper is "stuck" until x amount of pressure is applied and then they fully engage (what are the chances of that)

The other option is adapt to the nuance.

• 6 months later...

I have the same problem with my 2018 Edge Platinum with 13000 miles on it now and the brake grabbing problem has not improved.  Dealership is not willing to attempt any fix saying all Edges and smaller Ford cars and SUVs do it so it is not a problem.  Sounds like a very big problem to me.  One that Ford just wants to ignore and hope it will go away.  Don't get me wrong, I have been a Ford man all my life (63 years old).  Just do not like being ignored about a problem that is so obvious and apparently an issue in most small Ford cars.

I am considering the "Lemon Law" to fight this.  Perhaps get my money back and a different car.  If enough people do this maybe Ford will be forced to do something.  Anybody got any tips how to make the "Lemon Law" work for you?  Supposedly if you have taken it in four times without getting the problem fixed and the problem will affect the resale value of the car negatively the Lemon Law can be applied.  I am sure if I tried to sell the car and someone drove it first thing in the morning they would not want to pay a high price due to the grabbing brakes.  Not to mention the SAFETY issues for people inside the car or close behind the car when it immediately STOPS uncontrollably.  

Looking for input from anybody to help with the Lemon Law approach.

19 hours ago, larrysanford said:

Looking for input from anybody to help with the Lemon Law approach.

Lemon laws are different in every state.  An online search for "(your state) lemon law" will probably give you a step-by-step process.  You could also report the issue to the NTSB.  If they get enough complaints about the same issue Ford might be forced to issue a safety recall or at least issue a TSB as they did with the '15 and some early '16 Edge's with the grabby brake issue.  

• 1 month later...

I contacted Ford Service via Twitter about my 2018 Ford Edge with sensitive brakes at low speed.  At first they asked me about the issue.  As soon as I described the problem they began sending replies that were obviously "boiler plate" replies that did not relate to my issue.  They just wanted to get rid of me and hope I would go away.

It is obvious Ford does not want to deal with this sensitive brake issue in a 2018 model.  According to the dealership this is related to the new technology features like Adaptive Cruse Control, Collision Warning, Lane Departure.  My Edge Titanium has all three.  It appears that Ford is afraid to attempt a fix as it may have to fix all the high end models.

How do I get them back to the discussion? 

Hey Larry,

I realize you'd rather have Ford fix your issue but as you've suggested, the company doesn't want to start an avalanche of claims.  How about an alternative? 

Try changing your brake pads (at least the front) to a high quality ceramic.  It's not an expensive change and beats tilting at windmills trying to get Ford to do something. 

BTW my '16 Ti is the same with unpredictable braking, especially at parking lot speeds and I don't have adaptive cruise, lane departure or any of that.  I've just been waiting for summer to leave and the garage to cool off to do a pad swap (all four).

Cheers!

• 3 months later...