2016 Ford Edge engine swap 2.0 to 1.6

There is a trade off.. its still a big vehicle with a good amount of drag. Going down in available torque might negatively impact economy depending on driving conditions. The time spent accelerating up to speed and the amount of driving at high speed will impact your fuel economy greatly. These engines meet their best economy at specific RPM with no boost and minimal engine load. Going too small will increase load and in turn increase required RPM to maintain speed. If you are stopping and going a lot you will need a new final ratio to benefit from the smaller engine. 

2 minutes ago, Fingernip said:

There is a trade off.. its still a big vehicle with a good amount of drag. Going down in available torque might negatively impact economy depending on driving conditions. The time spent accelerating up to speed and the amount of driving at high speed will impact your fuel economy greatly. These engines meet their best economy at specific RPM with no boost and minimal engine load. Going too small will increase load and in turn increase required RPM to maintain speed. If you are stopping and going a lot you will need a new final ratio to benefit from the smaller engine. 

hello 

yes but so you think that engine 2.7 is more eco than 2.0 ?

25 minutes ago, Apigo200x said:

hello 

Again, there is a middle ground. The 2.0 with the right tune and gear ratios will be more economical than a 2.7 properly tuned for the same vehicle. A 2.0 tuned for a small car slapped in a large SUV might actually net lower fuel economy than the 2.7L properly tuned though. 

33 minutes ago, Apigo200x said:

hello 

Is there something mechanically wrong with the current engine thus requiring a swap? If no, then let's consider you get a 5mpg increase in mileage (doubtful but I'll play along)

Let's then consider that you drive 15k miles per year.

25 mpg (my average) is 600 gallons @ $2.50 per gallon = $1,500 per year

30mpg (doubtful but we'll play) is 500 gallons @ $2.50 per gallon = $1,250 per year or a savings of $250 per year

Now, if you aren't going to do the swap yourself, and need to source it, and want a good engine, and need the computer mods, you're probably looking at around $5,000 give or take. Your RoI (return on investment) of $5,000 cost divided by $250 annual savings would occur in 20 years.

Now let reality really hit, in order to get a 2-ton vehicle rolling (torque is needeed) you will have to hit boost sooner with smaller engines, so a custom tune would be needed, and you would have to move that 1.6 engine into premium gas so any mpg gains would be lost by having to get good gas. You could ill afford to have the timing retarded. In fact, premium where I live is about 40 cents or more per gallon vs the crap gas, (87 octane) so in the example above, the 500 gallons would cost $1,450 per year for a savings of $50 per year thus moving the ROI to 100 years.

If your engine is OK, and you are looking for huge mpg gains, then you bought the wrong vehicle. If 1 or 2 mpg gain is enough then

A: change your driving style

B: choose low resistance tires (cost more) and overinflate from factory spec

C- replace air filter with a K+N

D- heat is the enemy of engines. free up your intake/exhaust flow, get a custom tune on the computer tuned for 91 octane or higher so timing doesn't retard which causes an engine to run hotter. When i put custom tunes into my vehicles, free up the air flow (intake and exhaust) I not only get more power, but better mpg. But, the trade-off in using better fuel (this is going to cause the 87 octane folks to crap on me) ends up costing more out of pocket, but you don't look to save $$ when performance is the goal.

Edited by billfl
  • Like 1

There is a reason the 2.0LEB is the smallest engine offered.   1.6L would have to work a lot harder and probably not yield any significant mpg improvement - might even be worse.   

You would also have something never offered from the factory so there is no exact match PCM version.

2 hours ago, Apigo200x said:

thx for your advice

but what is the best choose for me between engine 2.7 and 3.5 ?

I must address the 800-pound gorilla in the room. Are you playing us?

A question was posed; is there something mechanically wrong with the current engine?

You've provided hardly any details. Real details would be: Hi, I currently get around 25mpg in mixed driving in my 2xxx Edge with the 2.0 ecoboost. I would like to achieve 35mpg, how do I do that?

We of course would then suggest to you to buy a hybrid, or only drive downhill.

Some of us here have a lot of experience modifying and working on various types of vehicles. Most of us here enjoy helping each other. Direct questions have been asked of you including working out an RoI, yet your replies ignore that. If you are sincere and seek help/opinions, then please re-read through every post and reply to the questions which have been posed

cheers