Ford changing coolant types

erikrichard

So someone please correct me if I don't have this right - Ford used the orange coolant until 2009, then changed it to the specialty green in 2010, then back to orange again in 2012 - why? I wonder if the coolant type had an impact on the numbers of failed water pumps for the different model years or if it's totally irrelevant which one you use. Anyone have an opinion? 

Timeline is skewed :)  Gold --> Specialty Green --> Orange

For your 2010, Specialty Green is appropriate.  Or something like Peak or Zerex or Prestone Universal Extended Life, if flushing out the old.

No idea if one OEM product is better than the other, or one can replace the other in your application.  Definitely do not go backwards in the timeline.  Frequency of coolant changes is likely more important anyway.

8 hours ago, WWWPerfA_ZN0W said:

Timeline is skewed :)  Gold --> Specialty Green --> Orange

For your 2010, Specialty Green is appropriate.  Or something like Peak or Zerex or Prestone Universal Extended Life, if flushing out the old.

No idea if one OEM product is better than the other, or one can replace the other in your application.  Definitely do not go backwards in the timeline.  Frequency of coolant changes is likely more important anyway.

Thanks for clearing that up, I didn't realize the coolant after the green was different than the one before it. I'd like to see water pump failure rates among the different coolants used to see if they correlate but I know that's impossible.