2018 Edge - Misfire when cold, no CEL

timfountain

Lots of threads on misfires but nothing particularly relevant to my situation. Car is a 2.0 Ecoboost SEL AWD 5,400 miles. When cold and just setting off from my house, going up a steep hill, I get a random hesitation and misfire at partial throttle for the first 1/2 mile or so. It is also getting worse over the last few months.  As soon as the engine temp gauge starts to move off the cold mark, the misfire goes away. I've used a good quality code reader and nothing is logged, but it is for sure there, just not enough to trigger the CEL. Any ideas what the problem could be? I am still in warranty but without a hard indication of a fault I suspect I will be told there is nothing for the dealer to attempt to diagnose.

Thank in adanvce.

Depends on a couple of things. Are you sure it's a engine miss or the trans shifting? I know our 2016 2.0 EB when cold shifts funny till it's warm.

What kind of fuel are you using. Top Tier is the way to go with EB engines (toptiergas.com). Maybe the lesser quality fuel isn't burning well when the engine is cold but does when the engine is at operating temp? I run Chevron Techron Complete Fuel Cleaner every few months to make sure things are as clean as possible. It also could be a winter fuel mix thing. I know that in Ohio, they don't start putting summer gas in till June. 

Edited by lildisco
  • Like 1

Has an oil change been done already?  Any signs of PTU fluid leaks?

Hopefully it is not bad enough to require a compression test!  But if you drive short distances, there could well be carbon buildup on the back of the intake valves causing issues.  More commonly, I would look to a spark plug or fuel injector issue if there IS an issue with them.  Simplest way to begin the diagnosis is to pull the plugs and inspect them for normal telltale signs that there is too much or too little fuel, oil ingestion, etc.  See if there is one cylinder that "stands out". 

7 hours ago, timfountain said:

I think it is the engine, but not 100%. I always use super. I guess it could be the seasonal mix. I'll keep an eye on it...

Super doesn't mean Top Tier gas. What brand of fuel are you using? Only certain brands are rated Top Tier. 

Edited by lildisco
  • Like 1

Various gas stations 91 RON. I haven't seen that much dependability on brand in my other cars and the problem manifests across multiple different gas stations. Car has not yet had an oil change, but it is coming up on a year old so will have one soon. I don't see the PTU leaking (as in no fluid under the car in the garage), but after 5k miles I would be very disappointed if it was leaking or had carbon buildup.

Newer cars, especially turbo'd vehicles, are very particular on the quality of the fuel they use. I have noticed a 5mpg decrease using lesser quality fuel in my 2.3L CX7 which is turbo'd, on Speedway gas. My 2.0 Edge gets better mileage with Exxon gas, than any other station around me. So yes, there is a difference in fuel standards across gas stations.

You could try disconnecting the battery for 5 minutes & then drive it for a few days & see if it makes a difference. 

You can also bring it up to your dealer & see if there's an TSB or update to the shifting tables. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
15 hours ago, Ntmiprb said:

I have a Ford Edge SEL 2017 2.0 Ecoboost and I was having the same issue. Then I found this guys video and it all makes sense... Good luck. ? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0irwbwpuEbQ

yup, install a catch can ASAP & while you have the intake manifold off, i'd preform a valve cleaning service.  I notice my can catches very little during the summer months, but during the winter months (below 40 degrees & a few weeks below 0), it catches A LOT over a few thousand miles.  I've had mine installed around 12,000 miles & currently below 36,000.  I've also installed a tune around 32,000 & have noticed no difference in what's been caught compared to when new.  I have NOT disconnected the intake manifold to see what has been caught on the back of the valves in over a year & a 1/2, but I'd imagine that's in considerably less than an edge 2.0 without a catch can. 

Here's my catch can install post if your interested:

& this one if you're also interested: