Edge Low Speed Surge/Buck - Transmission

Toby99

My 2019 Edge Titanium at 2,000 miles continues the low speed bucking problem especially when cold. I’ve also experienced some hard clunk shifts as it seems to hunt for correct gear. Several times when taking a very slow turn, engine bogs down because it’s in too high of gear. Also wanted to know how to determine which transmission this car has and the manufacture date. 

Usually on the Drivers side door jam

I just bought a 2019 edge sel ,only put 338 miles on it so far,have only noticed a little sluggish during first couple of miles.when cold here in Boston.after reading this post I won't be driving with the radio on for a while ,listening for these issues,no signs as of yet!

Thank you all for your input! Will update on any developments

Tom Burke

Kcbbriggs;   I was told that all 2019 Edge Titanium's have the same engine and transmission. The 8F35 is what is in mine and no doubt yours as well. I haven't noticed any clunking sounds or bogging down of mine but the rest you described is just like mine. There is supposed to be a field service rep come to the dealership where I bought it soon, maybe this Friday. As soon as he does I'll post on here to let everyone know what he has to say.

Well, yesterday I had a field rep ride in my car along with the service manager at the dealership. Wouldn't you know it, the car didn't do it as much as it usually does so the rep wasn't able to get the full effect of what is going on. Absolutely nothing new to report...they brought it back, plugged it in to check for codes, looked for any new updates, the same thing they did the first time I took it back. Of course, there were no codes or new TSB's out so I was again told this is just normal. I talked to the service manager a while after the rep left and he didn't make it sound too promising of them coming up with a fix. In his opinion, they would have to rewrite the whole program which would involve emissions and government red tape. 

He seems like a straight-up guy to me I don't think he was just trying to blow me off. He showed me where he contacted Ford and told them there was an issue and explained what is going on. In his words, Ford is aware but not enough people have complained about it yet require them to do anything. So I have pretty much run out of ideas as to what to do. I have written to the home office, opened cases on it, had a field rep come check it out, and had it back to the dealership three times now. If anyone else has any ideas I would love to hear from you.

Johnny,

What you wrote is almost exactly what has happened to me at three different dealerships.  It's the reason I mailed a letter directly to Ford executives.  Another one will be sent shortly.

Why are the service departments and field service reps saying it's the transmission programming code?  I asked that question but received no reply.  Has anyone considered it might be a power train component problem, the whole transmission, torque converter, maybe it's the engine.  One thought that leads me there is why the buck/surge appears go away when on cruise control. 

The other question is why others are not complaining?  If their vehicle does not have the problem then there's something wrong with ours.  Either way it's a defect and should be corrected.  If it's only a few vehicles, replace the engine or transmission in our vehicles and fix the problem.  I'm sure Ford can afford it.  So if our vehicle's headlight would not turn On but no one else had that problem, Ford would not be concerned about fixing ours?

Appears to me it's a design problem with the new eight speed transmission and Ford is hoping we will give up and live with the problem.

Has anyone called the 313-518-7309 phone number posted earlier?  I believe the poster said it was Ford engineering.

Edited by Toby99

Toby99...I too mailed letters directly to Ford executives, three of them to be exact. I would send one every day if I thought it would do any good.

In answer to your question of why others are not complaining is simply that they all don't do it. I know this for a fact having ridden in two I couldn't get it to do it and talking to two other owners that when asked about it didn't know what I was talking about. There must be tens of thousands of these things on the road. It's near impossible for me to believe that many people think like they say "that's just normal, that's how a car should run". Now the percentage of these cars that have this problem to the point of being as noticeable as ours is anybody's guess. I just happened upon this forum, I'm sure that there are many more out there that we don't know about.

My question is where do we go from here? It would seem as though you and I have pretty much run the gantlet of things to do. I was thinking the other day about constructing some kind of a post that could be shared by friends and followers of Facebook, Twitter and any other form of social media. If it got out to enough do you think it may put more pressure on Ford to do something about it?

I forgot to update here. I did the TSB at a dealer and my Edge doesn't buck or surge any more. However, it has a REALLY ANNOYING issue of upshifting too high at low speeds. I am bogging the engine at 15-20mph after making a turn at low speeds. Feels like a stick shift one gear too high, and I can replicate it almost perfectly each time.

It also feels like the performance dropped a bit since the TSB. It takes a lot longer to downshift when goosing it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I currently purchased a 19' Titanium with about 10,000 miles on it.  I'm in Canada.  Totally have this problem.  I read through this entire thread God bless a few of you who have been trying to fix this with Ford's suspect service departments.  I think the biggest issue is the average person either isn't going to notice this problem or they notice it but don't really care or think its just normal.  Mainly "non car" people is the nicest way to say it.  So its not getting reported enough for Ford to really care.

I've been waiting for this pandemic to be over so I can take it into the dealership for this now I wonder if its even worth it.  I guess I'll call Ford CS and put my complaint in.  Pathetic anyone has to deal with this especially with a $51K CDN vehicle.

On 1/22/2020 at 11:46 AM, IcyFridge said:

I forgot to update here. I did the TSB at a dealer and my Edge doesn't buck or surge any more. However, it has a REALLY ANNOYING issue of upshifting too high at low speeds. I am bogging the engine at 15-20mph after making a turn at low speeds. Feels like a stick shift one gear too high, and I can replicate it almost perfectly each time.

It also feels like the performance dropped a bit since the TSB. It takes a lot longer to downshift when goosing it.

I Have a 2019 Edge Titanium FWD and also experience the bogging down when taking corners. It feels like the car selected one gear too high. My bucking is minimal and seems more noticeable when cold. How are the results of your TSB now?

On ‎04‎/‎09‎/‎2020 at 3:44 PM, Drunklahey said:

I currently purchased a 19' Titanium with about 10,000 miles on it.  I'm in Canada.  Totally have this problem.  I read through this entire thread God bless a few of you who have been trying to fix this with Ford's suspect service departments.  I think the biggest issue is the average person either isn't going to notice this problem or they notice it but don't really care or think its just normal.  Mainly "non car" people is the nicest way to say it.  So its not getting reported enough for Ford to really care.

I've been waiting for this pandemic to be over so I can take it into the dealership for this now I wonder if its even worth it.  I guess I'll call Ford CS and put my complaint in.  Pathetic anyone has to deal with this especially with a $51K CDN vehicle.

Drunklahey, Sorry to read about your Edge.  I mailed another set of letters to Ford managers on 28 January.  Never received a reply   At this point I don't believe Ford will ever correct the issue. 

I concur with your idea to call Customer Service.  It probably won't help but will be an exercise in frustration.  From my experience Ford CS knows nothing about Ford vehicles.  Your assessment that most think it "normal operation" for this vehicle is correct.  I received that exact statement from all three dealer service departments that have looked at my Edge.

Please post an update if on your efforts. 

12 hours ago, Johnny B said:

Has anyone else noticed their vehicle getting worse? It seems as though in the morning when it's cold it has gotten worse to me.

Anyone hanging your hopes on that adaptive learning thing can forget about it.

Were just not driving enough right now so I can't say its getting better or worse.  I drove it briefly a couple days ago and nothing has changed.  I guess I can live with it if I know its not going to lead to any mechanical failures down the road.  We extended the warranty to 6yrs 120,000kms so I shouldn't worry too much.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/16/2020 at 9:30 AM, Johnny B said:

Has anyone else noticed their vehicle getting worse? It seems as though in the morning when it's cold it has gotten worse to me.

Every day, it's something different. This morning I pulled out of my driveway and it was like the transmission went into neutral for a second before shifting. CLUNK. Only happens once in a while. The only thing that really bothers me is how aggressive the transmission upshifts (WAYYYYY too early).

Also, when using the paddle shifters... I can see the RPMs changing as if a gear was changed, but the dashboard still shows the current gear. Annoying as hell. I miss my Focus ST already...

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/9/2020 at 4:44 PM, Drunklahey said:

Yep, there is probably a reason you found one on a lot with only 10,000 miles on it... someone unloaded it. 

What I find the most frustrating to me is the fact that they all don't do it. I have driven three others equipped exactly like mine and the harsh shifting is hardly noticable. I believe that's the main reason there are not more complaints than there are.

Mine, like so many others, is worse when it's cold. I have kicked myself a hundred times for not noticing it when I test drove it but after giving it some thought I realized that they already had it warmed up. It wasn't until the next morning that I got the full effect. 

I'm not in a position to trade it in and take a big hit now so I'll have to drive it for a couple years at least. I've been buying Ford's for a long time but this is my last. This has really soured me on them for not fixing an obvious problem.

On 5/28/2020 at 5:55 AM, Johnny B said:

Yep, there is probably a reason you found one on a lot with only 10,000 miles on it... someone unloaded it. 

What I find the most frustrating to me is the fact that they all don't do it. I have driven three others equipped exactly like mine and the harsh shifting is hardly noticable. I believe that's the main reason there are not more complaints than there are.

Mine, like so many others, is worse when it's cold. I have kicked myself a hundred times for not noticing it when I test drove it but after giving it some thought I realized that they already had it warmed up. It wasn't until the next morning that I got the full effect. 

I'm not in a position to trade it in and take a big hit now so I'll have to drive it for a couple years at least. I've been buying Ford's for a long time but this is my last. This has really soured me on them for not fixing an obvious problem.

Mine was a previous rental with about 9500 miles.  Yes definitely worse when engine is cold.  No way Ford's touching this.  First its not a safety concern and second all manufactures are suffering bigtime right now with this pandemic the last thing they care about is hard shifting on less than 1% of their fleet.  I also didn't notice this on my test drive however I only drove the car for 10mins and really your thinking of so many things when test driving a vehicle its easy to miss something.  Also the salesman had the car and engine warmed up for me before my test drive so it might not have been as noticeable then.

I'm more concerned about some of the paint defects on the platinum white.

• 1 month later...

No improvement on mine either.  Frustrating driving at a slow speed. 

I have called Ford Executive at  313-518-7309.   Spoke to a lady several times regarding this issue.  She did email Engineering and the reply stated they, Engineering, do not know of any fleet wide issues with Edge bucking/surging. 

I replied that it's difficult to believe with all the posts here and the many times all of us have had our vehicle to service for the issue.  Apparently in Ford's view we are a limited few.  All that was suggested was to schedule yet another visit to dealer service. 

Before I do, I plan to take the vehicle to a local transmission shop for their assessment. 

On 4/16/2020 at 8:30 AM, Johnny B said:

Yes i have 10,000 miles on my 19 edge and started toing the bucking about month ago and slow acceleration can hear turbo spinning but car wont move. Seems its worse first thing in morning but longer u drive it like on xpressway for me it gets better

On 11/13/2019 at 1:35 PM, ktp1598 said:

All I can say is my wife is finally satisfied with her ST. She hated it at first because of the transmission but now she's having the time of her life in it. To all those getting the TSB please give it a little time to ''settle in" as it resets the transmission learning tables. 

Whats tsb mine has the same problem

Im having same problem bought  19 edge with 10 miles on it drove great up until about 9500 miles or so have About 10,000 now and startin up car after sitting car wont accelerate i hear turbo spinning but car wont accelerate. But after putting it in sports mode for a few and switching back seems to have better response no more lag drove on xpressway no lag nothing seems gets better after u drive for a while. But when u first start it in morning is when it does the bucking and delayed acceleration. Ford told me it could be from goin from regular to premium back to regular could do that just said to stick to just premium or regular dont mix but after reading all these comments i know its not because of that. Cant trade it in owe to much on it so basically just wait till they find a fix i guess