MKX Blown Engine

SandyDee28

My 2011 Lincoln MKX 3.7L AWD had a warning: Engine Coolant Over Temperature. I was on the highway and pulled off once it was safe to do so. My car was making weird noises and i was hoping just to make it to a parking area. It seems my engine coolant was empty. i bought 2 jugs and poured it in, nothing leaking out. i drove around the parking lot a couple times and it seemed to be ok. i headed back out to the highway and 15mins later, same thing, but this time i died and would not start back up. My coolant was empty again! Seems the coolant was going right into the engine. (chocolate milky colour) I had it towed to a shop and im told i need a new engine!! HELP Anyone else have this problem? ive heard theres a lawsuit somewhere because there is no warning for this issue. Ive chosen to get a another engine put in for $4000!! I have 200,000kms on my engine and the one he is putting in is 130,000. Would my tranny be affected as well?

39 minutes ago, SandyDee28 said:

My 2011 Lincoln MKX 3.7L AWD had a warning: Engine Coolant Over Temperature. I was on the highway and pulled off once it was safe to do so. My car was making weird noises and i was hoping just to make it to a parking area. It seems my engine coolant was empty. i bought 2 jugs and poured it in, nothing leaking out. i drove around the parking lot a couple times and it seemed to be ok. i headed back out to the highway and 15mins later, same thing, but this time i died and would not start back up. My coolant was empty again! Seems the coolant was going right into the engine. (chocolate milky colour) I had it towed to a shop and im told i need a new engine!! HELP Anyone else have this problem? ive heard theres a lawsuit somewhere because there is no warning for this issue. Ive chosen to get a another engine put in for $4000!! I have 200,000kms on my engine and the one he is putting in is 130,000. Would my tranny be affected as well?

First and foremost, sorry this happened to you bud.  Next, it sounds like a head gasket failure, there would be no CEL for this due to it being something that would be hard to sense with the installed factory sensors.  I would be a little weary of putting in such a high mileage motor for the that price.  Your transmission is fine as it is a sealed off unit and a completely separate system,  

Timing system parts + water pump should be replaced on the "new" engine.  Chains, tensioners, and solenoids.

No, it will not affect the transmission.  But it is a good time to do a fluid exchange on the transmission as well.  I would also recommend changing out the TSS/OSS sensors and putting in a new solenoid body filter, since access is super easy with the transmission out of the engine bay, but you can do that as/when needed.

The internal water pump is a rather well known issue on the 3.5/3.7 series engines, unfortunately.  Keep the coolant changed, and use high quality engine oil (any full synthetic you see on Walmart shelves) regularly to keep the "new" engine running for a long time.

3 hours ago, Special_K said:

First and foremost, sorry this happened to you bud.  Next, it sounds like a head gasket failure, there would be no CEL for this due to it being something that would be hard to sense with the installed factory sensors.  I would be a little weary of putting in such a high mileage motor for the that price.  Your transmission is fine as it is a sealed off unit and a completely separate system,  

Thanks for the response I appreciate it.