2016 Ford Edge SEL 3.5L

eXodusK3

Alright, so far I think I have 2 issues.

1 -  I think something with either battery or alternator is wrong.     I know it's not the best way to check but I have a police radar detector that shows the voltage the vehicle is running.    When we first bought the car in February 2019, voltage was around a little over 14.

For the past month now, every now and then, the voltage drops to 12.5 while it is running but often goes back up to 13.6-13.9 also while driving.   Some times it stays around 12.5 area but when I turn the car off for a while and restart it jumps back into the upper 13's.

I also, when getting up to 60MPH I hear a whining/humming sound, which also I believe to  be the alternator but am not sure.

2 - Every now and then, it doesn't happen often but when I first get into the Edge and SLIGHTLY turn the wheel, I will hear a clunk noise from the front left side.      Could this be a ball joint going?       It doesn't happen on every turn of the wheel, only periodically.

Some things I think I probably should take in to the dealer but going to ask here first.   I got the Mechanical Protection Plan Silver package when buying the vehicle so if something is wrong, hoping that would cover it.

I cannot answer for #2. But for the battery, new cars have smart charging systems where it would stop charging the battery if system detects battery is charged enough (or some other criteria, not exactly sure). So seeing voltage changes is not an indication of a bad alternator.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Save yourself the heart ache and frustration of going to the stealership first.  Check out advanced auto or pep boys they can test your battery/ alternator.

If a trip to the stealership is in order they will test your battery 8 ways to Sunday.  I've had two batteries replaced under warranty. The first dealer I chose it was a nightmare.   They held me hostage all day. Gave it a deep charge and sent me on my way.  I was back the very next day.  They kept the car over night and  said it would not start in the morning so they replaced the battery.

Second trip to a new stealership. They tested the battery and deemed it at fault and replaced it.   For this and other visits I have a new preferred stealership.

I hope your experience mirrors my second experience. 

9 hours ago, omar302 said:

I cannot answer for #2. But for the battery, new cars have smart charging systems where it would stop charging the battery if system detects battery is charged enough (or some other criteria, not exactly sure). So seeing voltage changes is not an indication of a bad alternator.

That thought of it being a smart charging system was also in my head but had no idea that was actually a thing now.         Before getting this Edge, I came  from a 1994 Toyota Corolla so everything for me is different with this.      But that would make sense since it drops and goes back up when it needs charged.          Because it never stalls and always starts instantly every time. 

Thank you!