Tuning Hardware differences?

blownZ71

I have a few questions as I amr eady to order a tune for my 15' Sport. While I have read most of the debate between tuners, I am still not clear on the differences between the hardware required. Are there any real differences or advantages to the LMS My Calibarator,  SCT,  HP Tuner MPVI2, & Ngauge?  To me it looks like the Ngauge would be the only one able to not only load the tune but also then have the benefit of a secondary gauge. Any thoughts or others experience with any of these?

I believe I will only need a single tune, as I always run 93 and want maximum performance. I am in Florida however which some have said the 93 tune struggles in the heat, how do I factor that into my decision? I also see many offering E85 tunes which is regularly available in my area but I did not believe the 15' Edge was Flex Fuel compatible from the factory?

Do all tuners include some sort of transmission tuning to match? 

I am assuming to at least go to the colder thermostat that they all recommend, but do all tuners also suggest a spark plug change? Just curious if any tuners are fine with the factory plugs as it looks like a PITA to get to the rear ones.

Any other mods that would be well paired to the tune, i.e. catch can, intake, filter, etc.?

Thanks for the input !!!

• 2 weeks later...

I had a lot of the same questions as you as far as which tuning solution I’m going to use. Coming from Ecuflash which is free and has a huge community support, looking at the tuning options for this car or even US cars in general is daunting. 

On the plugs, you would want to run a closer gap only if your getting high rpm misfires. Otherwise running a wider gap will make more power. Colder plug would help on pump/race gas if your making a lot more whp than stock. Stock/hotter plug usually works better for E85-100.

• Like 1

I'm not sure what software SCT uses although there are a lot of tuners that use them. 

Personally speaking I would go with Nguage or MPVI2. They both use HPTuners software.  Once you buy the credits you can go with any tuner that utilizes HPTuners software. BCB or Unleashed comes to mind.  All you would need to do is purchase the tune. IMO the provide the most flexibility. 

Mycalibrator touch is made by Livernois and can only be used with Livernois.

Keep in mind that with Livernois you are limited in what additional mods they will tune for.  For example they have tunes for most mods because they may have tuned an edge on site with those mods.  You never know until you ask them.  You go over the top and get new turbos and other goodies and Livernois will ask you to come in and pay for dyno time.

Most if not all tuners will tune the transmission shift points along with tuning the engine. 

Regardless of whichever tune you prefer to go with you should look into getting a 170 degree thermostat.  

The Afe filter is a drop in replacement that performs well tune or untuned. 

The catch can is used as an integral part of basic preventive maintenance. It has no bearing on whether or not your engine is tuned.

Snmjimm and SpecialK are developing an CAI that actually looks like it will be the only one available that truly seals the the intake from the hot air the engine makes. The rest on the market do not provide an adequate seal just utilizing the hood.  Most people get improved throttle response.  A tune will make the most of the CAI.

There are other mods you can make that will take your edge to the next level. Check out SpecialK mod subsection. You will find links to forum discussions and links to make purchases etc.

Enjoy your edge!

Edited by onyxbfly
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

39 minutes ago, boostededge said:

I had a lot of the same questions as you as far as which tuning solution I’m going to use. Coming from Ecuflash which is free and has a huge community support, looking at the tuning options for this car or even US cars in general is daunting. 

On the plugs, you would want to run a closer gap only if your getting high rpm misfires. Otherwise running a wider gap will make more power. Colder plug would help on pump/race gas if your making a lot more whp than stock. Stock/hotter plug usually works better for E85-100.

Most tuners prefer that you use stock plugs, and have them gapped at .026 The factory gap is set to 0.30 IIRC

• Thanks 1

• 10 months later...
On 7/26/2019 at 8:50 AM, onyxbfly said:

Most tuners prefer that you use stock plugs, and have them gapped at .026 The factory gap is set to 0.30 IIRC

I did .26 and sounds ok so far. I didn’t want to bend the plugs too much. Factory was insufficient when you modify anything (for me)