Wheel Lugs?

edsasdelli

Anybody else hate these cheap ass wheel lugs.  I like my 21" wheels but these lugs get all mis-shaped when you take them on an off.  I used an impact gun to remove them (maybe I shouldn't have).  They are not ruined but they are bloated, rippled and misshaped now.  I ordered Gorilla black lug nuts #61148bcx.   It doesn't specifically say Ford Edge but the measurements are the same M14-1.5" cone, 60 degree edge, etc.    Also, my manual says torque to 162 ft/lbs.....wow.  I was surprised they require that much torque. 

https://www.cjponyparts.com/gorilla-lug-nut-kit-factory-style-bulge-black-chrome-2015-2019/p/WHLLN20/

If you plan on using an impact wrench then  yes, you'll need to get better lug nuts and those you're looking at are good and correct.

Remember, your emergency wrench in the trunk won't work when the lug nuts are deformed.

Ford using an impact wrench not only damaged the lug nuts, but also chipped the coating on my wheels.

I don't use a torque wrench , and agree 162 seems high.

5 minutes ago, edsasdelli said:

thanks 1004ron.   Do you happen to know if the OEM lug wrench fits the Gorilla replacements?  

No, I can't answer that one - I can check my wife's 2015 Mustang original lug nuts when I get home, or you can contact that supplier.

The original Edge lug nuts are 21mm

If you plan on using an impact wrench, consider getting one of these sockets.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008XMDSJC/?coliid=I1ZARASLP4FJ20&colid=7FQZRUTL8DOG&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Now's a great time to swap the lugs out before they get worse. My '17 Fusion Sport's lugs were swollen (all except 3) a few months ago and I've only got 20k miles on the car, so just a couple tire rotations (by me, with just a breaker bar & torque wrench at 150 ft-lbs).

When you install the Gorilla's, just check them after installing and driving for a bit - I've seen 2 members on 2GFusions where they used Gorilla lugs and the seat wasn't angled exactly right so it ate up all of the wheels on those 2 guys' cars (was several years ago now, but still - apparently they denied the issue on both cases).  Personally, I use McGard lugs and love them - worth the money.

Edited by DaMiFo
  • Like 1

I wanted to update on my experience with these aftermarket lugs.  I tried both the McGards and the Gorilla lug nuts.  They are both thinner than the factory lugs which leads to the real problem.  The factory lugs also have a large flare at the bottom that mates to the wheel.  The part of the wheel that meets the base of the lug nut is unpainted.  So when you install the black lug nuts, they expose the silver unpainted portion of the wheel.  Ugh....

• 2 months later...

I have a 16 MKX and my lugs were trash.  I caught a flat while parked at work and tried to replace using the spare.  Only issue, the factory lug wrench would not fit the factory lugs on the vehicle.  I had to wait for someone with a four way lug wrench to show up which ended up stripping my lugs.  I was so frustrated that I just replaced all the lugs on the whole vehicle and kept the wrench since it works with the jack...