Car overheating

Woody

2010 Edge SEL. Yesterday evening while drving in local traffic, temp gauge went to full "H". Pulled over, popped hood and saw some steam in the general area of the Resevoir. Let cool down, added some water and proceeded home. Happened twice more during that 10 mile drive. This morning started troubleshooting. could not find any leaks or cracks, everything was dry. Thought possibly the cap was failing and venting at less than the 16 PSI. Replaced with a new one I had in stock. Idled for 15 minutes, getting it up to temp (right in the middle). Both radiator hose were warm/hot so the T-stat appears to be working. During the idling neither electric fan came on. Went for a 5 mile drive (35-55 MPH) and returned home. Temp stayed in the middle. Let idle for an additional 20 minutes at home and at the end the temp had gond full "H" again!. Once again the fans never engaged. Am I looking at a failed fan controller??? If so, appears to be as cheap/ cheaper to replace the complete assembly.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Woody

woodruffcrandall@gmail.com

Thanks for the response. I had already viewed the thread and found the DIY. I was more specifically asking if my description of the issue led more to a controller failure vs the other possible issues (CHT, T-Stat, etc)

Thanks,

Woody

Thanks for the response. I had already viewed the thread and found the DIY. I was more specifically asking if my description of the issue led more to a controller failure vs the other possible issues (CHT, T-Stat, etc)

Thanks,

Woody

Since the Fans are not working at all, I suggest you also check the cooling fan fuse/Relay in the Engine compartment fuse box.

Hard to diagnose controller failure without "faking" the input to the controller. There is only the CHT sensor. There are no thermostats in the classical sense though I suppose you could rig in a thermostat to control the fans. Both the fans on my old assembly were able to spin with power supplied to their leads. The fan module was toast. As mentioned earlier in this post, it's less expensive to replace the whole assembly than to replace just the module.

I'm sure it's just a cheesy transistor that's failed in the module. I haven't had a chance to tear it down and look at it, but it seems like a great business for a kid with soldering skills that needs a part time job if that's what it is.

Here is an excerpt from the shop manual showing the wiring. An output from the controller goes to the fan control module and the fan controller spools up the fans. The tow package fan module is a two channel version of the non-tow package, but the two cannot be used interchangeably.

Good Luck.

Ford Edge Cooling Fan Wiring.pdf

Replaced the Fan Assembly (w/controller) and that solved the problem. Immediately on start and A/C turned on both fans started on low. Idled for 20 minutes, drove for 30, idled again for 20. Temp stayed just shy of top dead center. Obviously the controller failed. All is well.

Thanks to all for insight and recommendations.

Woody

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...