FM stock radio - Bad static

I searched for any similar issues, but only found topics from aftermarket installs, not my situation...

My wife complained about her favorite FM radio stations coming in very static. I just listened to it and it is pretty bad. I did a FM Search/Scan for the stations, and it only locked onto two stations in a larger metro size city (OKC). I drove to different areas to see if it was just my area (not usual) I just bought the car, but it is a stock Ford head unit (not modded) so I am very confused why a stock system would not come in loud and clear? Any ideas to get started? Thanks in advance!

Is this a pre-owned or new Edge that you "just bought"?  If new or still under warranty then, obviously, let your dealership figure it out.   If it's pre-owned is there any evidence the head unit has been out of the dash for any reason?  I'm just wondering whether the antenna wasn't completely plugged in or the cable has broken.  Is the outside antenna the original and is it properly installed?  Is there something else in the vehicle operating on an FM frequency?  Are 'all' FM signals affected or only digital (HD) signals.  The more you can narrow the issue down the more likely it'll be that you find your answer.

• 3 weeks later...

If you already haven't found the problem, 

Does the AM band also contain static? If so it would most likely be the AM/FM antenna or mount. Remove the antenna by unscrewing it and check for corrosion in the connector. (The AM/FM antenna is the one at the front, top just in back of the windshield.)

I would also pull down the overhead consul and look for any corrosion from a leak. 

• 5 months later...

Dutchman... did you ever get your radio fixed?

I have a similar problem with my 2014 Edge Limited Sony radio w/ Nav.

Sometimes I can only get a couple nearby stations.  Sometimes I get no sound at all.

It's not the antenna, because it will "play" my USB songs... The song details change every few minutes... but no sound from the USB either.

The touch screen works fine.

Yesterday, I drove it for an hour and a half - no sound.  Shut it off to get gas.  Restarted, and it worked fine.

It almost has to be the radio or an amplifier.

Out-of-warranty.

I hate to take it to the dealer... I really hate the dealers.

I'd love to have a clue as to what it might be, before going down that rabbit hole.

• 9 months later...

I replaced the battery.  Problem solved.

Apparently, the battery was weakening but would still start the car.

But the low voltage affects the radio.

If you drive it for a while to "top-off" the battery, a restart temporarily fixes it.

With Covid, the battery wasn't holding a charge if the car sat for a couple weeks.

It's been 6 months with a new battery. no issues.