2 hours ago, TXFRDOwner said:

Did you reach back out to the programmer to see if it can be fixed or if that's normal ?

Yes, I texted Dan the same day and he actually told me to look out for it before it even happened. So as far as I am concerned he is off the hook, I just haven't reached back out to him yet. For now it is more of an annoyance than anything. I just shut the car off, open the door and restart it and it pops back up every time so far.

2 hours ago, onyxbfly said:

That's odd. Reach out to Dan, he will sort you out. Try disconnecting the negative battery cable for 10-15 minutes. Usually that helps to reset/ sort out lil issues etc.

Is this the same thing as the "KAM" (Keep Alive Memory) reset you can do through the tuner? I'll do that to see if it helps.

4 minutes ago, dolsen said:

Yes, I texted Dan the same day and he actually told me to look out for it before it even happened. So as far as I am concerned he is off the hook, I just haven't reached back out to him yet. For now it is more of an annoyance than anything. I just shut the car off, open the door and restart it and it pops back up every time so far.

Is this the same thing as the "KAM" (Keep Alive Memory) reset you can do through the tuner? I'll do that to see if it helps.

To be honest with you, I'm not sure. I know that sometimes my mirrors will not dip down in reverse or my remote start will not work. I'll disconnect the negative terminal for ten min or so, and everything will be right as rain.

21 minutes ago, onyxbfly said:

To be honest with you, I'm not sure. I know that sometimes my mirrors will not dip down in reverse or my remote start will not work. I'll disconnect the negative terminal for ten min or so, and everything will be right as rain.

Wait... your mirrors actually change angle when reversing? Is this an update you made in FORScan? I didn't think the Edge did that

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/14/2020 at 11:21 AM, dolsen said:

I forgot to update. I got my cluster installed the same day I got it back. It is a nice upgrade and I like it, but can't say that I love it. I suppose I wouldn't "unspend" the money if it were possible, but I certainly could've held off longer. Either way I do not regret it. The only issue I am having is that when I remote start the vehicle, the left hand side info center (in the tachometer) does not work, but when I get it and start it with the push button start (no remote start) the info center works just fine. I think the entire install took me 20 minutes, it was super easy.

So after spending a little more time with the new cluster, I would consider it to be a major upgrade. Not because I learned anything new other than how to appreciate it more. About a month before I installed my new gauge cluster I got a 2020 Explorer ST which has an all LED cluster. It was an unfair comparison on my part to expect a 5 year old cluster to be on par with a brand new one, but at the time that was my thought process. I'm very happy I made the upgrade

• Like 2

8 hours ago, dolsen said:

It was an unfair comparison on my part to expect a 5 year old cluster to be on par with a brand new one, but at the time that was my thought process.

Congrats on the new cluster, the Edge's cluster has been in use since 2011! So it is actually older than that. Ford knew this and has offered the Edge in Europe with the MKX cluster in upper trims. What is even more surprising, that the supposedly new for 2019 Ford Ranger also has this same cluster in upper trims!

• Like 1

On 9/25/2020 at 2:48 AM, omar302 said:

Congrats on the new cluster, the Edge's cluster has been in use since 2011! So it is actually older than that. Ford knew this and has offered the Edge in Europe with the MKX cluster in upper trims. What is even more surprising, that the supposedly new for 2019 Ford Ranger also has this same cluster in upper trims!

The cluster  to which I was referring with the "5 years old" comment was the upgraded cluster from the MKX that I installed n my Edge. Is that also older than 5 years old? I don't actually know how old they are

1 hour ago, dolsen said:

The cluster  to which I was referring with the "5 years old" comment was the upgraded cluster from the MKX that I installed n my Edge. Is that also older than 5 years old? I don't actually know how old they are

Omar is referring to the cluster that was originally installed pre swap. That has been in use since 2011. The only thing that is different about the cluster for the ST is the addition of a boost gauge.  Imagine having multiple edges of various years etc and looking at the same cluster since 2011. To the best of my knowledge the MKX cluster that we are both using debuted in the 2015 MY with the refresh.

1 hour ago, onyxbfly said:

Omar is referring to the cluster that was originally installed pre swap. That has been in use since 2011. The only thing that is different about the cluster for the ST is the addition of a boost gauge.  Imagine having multiple edges of various years etc and looking at the same cluster since 2011. To the best of my knowledge the MKX cluster that we are both using debuted in the 2015 MY with the refresh.

I understand his reference. I was saying, in my post, that I was comparing the Lincoln MKX cluster I installed (which I assumed the design to be about 5 years old) to a brand new all LED cluster out of my Explorer ST. I don't know when Ford started using that style (Lincoln style) cluster, but I assumed it was 2015-ish.

My point was that I didn't appreciate the Lincoln style cluster as much as I should have after swapping it out with the old cluster (the 2011 variant) used in higher trim level edge's and Fusion's.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dolsen said:

I understand his reference. I was saying, in my post, that I was comparing the Lincoln MKX cluster I installed (which I assumed the design to be about 5 years old) to a brand new all LED cluster out of my Explorer ST. I don't know when Ford started using that style (Lincoln style) cluster, but I assumed it was 2015-ish.

My point was that I didn't appreciate the Lincoln style cluster as much as I should have after swapping it out with the old cluster (the 2011 variant) used in higher trim level edge's and Fusion's.

Apologies, I misunderstood you.

On 9/26/2020 at 6:11 PM, dolsen said:

I also misunderstood. By the way, the MKX Style cluster first appeared in the 2013 MKZ. The MKX got it in 2016. The 2019 Nautilus (renamed MKX) got the full LCD cluster in 2019. A member here tried installing one in his Edge, but it did not work fully (link to the post).

Edited by omar302
misspelling.
  • Like 1

On 9/26/2020 at 3:01 PM, onyxbfly said:

Apologies, I misunderstood you.

On 9/27/2020 at 12:37 AM, omar302 said:

I also misunderstood. By the way, the MKX Style cluster first appeared in the 2013 MKZ. The MKX got it in 2016. The 2019 Nautilus (renamed MKX) got the full LCD cluster in 2019. A member here tried installing one in his Edge, but it did not work fully (link to the post).

No worries, I suppose my post wasn't very clear.

Omar, thanks for the clarification on the age of the MKX cluster. I did see where the one member had gotten a hold of a 2019 Nautilus cluster. I really hope he can figure out how to make that work because I will absolutely upgrade to that one if possible.

• 2 months later...

This looks like a really cool swap but also a challenging one if your programming skills are limited (or non-existent) LOL

Along a similar train of thought, if you have one of the upper trims, could the base cluster with analog gauges and the center screen be installed?

I honestly like that one better. I'm on board with everyone thinking the cluster with twin screens and central speedo is both boring and outdated. (It was in my 2013 Taurus and it was boring then)

42 minutes ago, Roadhawk said:

This looks like a really cool swap but also a challenging one if your programming skills are limited (or non-existent) LOL

Along a similar train of thought, if you have one of the upper trims, could the base cluster with analog gauges and the center screen be installed?

I honestly like that one better. I'm on board with everyone thinking the cluster with twin screens and central speedo is both boring and outdated. (It was in my 2013 Taurus and it was boring then)

@Roadhawk , is that something you're considering ?  

7 hours ago, Roadhawk said:

Drop me a line when you get your ride and are considering doing the mod....Might be able to work something out....?

5 hours ago, omar302 said:

Since this thread has been revived, would like to ask a favor in case anyone can help finding a Km/h MKX cluster with 55K km or less. Would really appreciate it as I still haven't found one.

@omar302, it would also be pertinent to mention your budget ?

and btw MKZ clusters work just fine in the Edge .

Edited by TXFRDOwner

20 minutes ago, TXFRDOwner said:

@omar302, it would also be pertinent to mention your budget ?

and btw MKZ clusters work just fine in the Edge .

As I don't live in US/Canada, shipping to multiple parties is difficult and expensive. That's why I am trying to avoid having to ship it to get it programmed. Mileage can be increased using ForScan, but not decreased. As a mod, it is reasonable to pay for the cluster (used) & lens costs, plus shipping. Over that it becomes overpriced and I just can't justify it to myself. 

And, yes, I have also been looking for MKX clusters. Thanks for the tip.

49 minutes ago, Roadhawk said:

This is the cluster I was thinking about. Since its the base model the lens mask should already work, correct?

s-l640.jpg.ff35fdb1fb43b428fbd02c704d476056.jpg

I don't see why it wouldn't work. On the 2G Fusion forums several had upgraded from this one to the twin screen one. And as long as your getting the cluster from an Edge of similar model range, the lens that comes with it should also work. The only downside with this screen is the display's resolution will remind your that's it's the "lower level" cluster.

• Like 1

The base cluster was in the SEL I test drove along with the 4in Sync screen in the center stack. I suppose I should’ve took a few moments to see what the right side control pad on the steering wheel was linked to.

loss of the right side screen is all I see being lost and not that crucial IMO.

So would downgrading to the base screen require different firmware?