Ford Edge Forum
Dmtaurus

Adding Trailer Hitch and Wirng to 2015 Edge SEL

I bought a class 2, Curt brand hitch and Curt wiring package for my 2015 Edge SEL FWD.  The hitch appears to be relatively easy to put on but when reviewing Curt's wiring instructions online I did not see that a power cable has to be run directly to the battery.  So, where can I run the power wire through the firewall? is there a body plug around the driver footwell for the factory wiring?  It appears that the plastic trim panels have to be removed along the driver side door sill plate.  I looked over this site and didn't see any photos of where the factory wiring goes through the firewall.  And I sure won't run it under the body because that is too hostile an area to run an electrical  hot wire.  I am connecting two different, small trailers, where each has only brake/signal/running lights; neither has trailer brakes.

Hi Dmtaurus,

I think you'll find you're over thinking this a little.  If you scour the other posts in this section of the forum you'll find some great wiring tips ranging from what you're trying to do (if you look under the hood at the driver's side firewall you'll see a huge grommet with wiring running through.  That's where you can run a power wire if needed) to (this is the easy way) connecting to the existing wiring under the passenger rear tire.  It's hidden under a cover.  There's a space behind the cargo area right side cover where a trailer towing module goes.  You won't need the module but it's good to know where it is.   Now then, once you find the four pin connector behind the right rear tire check to see if one of the pins is hot when lights are on and another is hot when brakes are applied.  If yes then you're good to go, just connect your new harness to those wires.  If no then you have to look a little further north.  Under the carpet, about where a passengers right foot would go, there's a white connector.  That connector already has trailer power running to the engine side of the connector.   I don't remember the color codes but ou'll find all the above info in the other thread posts.  Bottom line, don't angst about running a heavy wire all the way to the battery.  One way or the other it's already in the cabin for you.

We'll want photos when you're finished with your project. ;)

Cheers!

If I am understanding you correctly, there are plugs already built in on the factory wire harness so that all I have to do is locate them per your instructions and tap into them.  Am I understanding you correctly?

Yes sir, that's correct. Slide under the rear passenger side and you'll see a plastic cover at the bottom of the wheel well.  Remove the bolts holding that cover then grab a flashlight. You'll locate the first piece of the puzzle, a four pin square plug, taped to the harness.  That's where you'll start testing with a multimeter or test light looking for power when lights are on and brakes are applied.  The next stop is under the right cover of the cargo area.  Look through the vent above the cargo light.  You 'might' be able to see some of the wiring and the area where a trailer module would be if you had the factory tow package.  And so it goes.  

As I mentioned previously, reading other posts in this thread will give you all the info you'll need.  Of course if you want, you can still connect that harness you purchased following their instructions.  I believe etrailer.com has a YouTube video posted showing how to connect that harness to the Edge tail lights and battery.

Thanks much for the information.  Soon I'll be starting this project and I will try to document the process. 

I did a preliminary investigation to look for the harness, and I took some photos.  Photo 1 shows the whole rear layout with the carpet removed.  Photo 2 shows the area where I think you were talking about a cover with bolts, yet I didn't see one.  Photo 3 shows what is behind the cargo panel on the passenger side.  Pulling that panel open is where I found a 2 plugs, one that is black and one that is brown.  Could the black plug be the connection plug for the wire harness? 

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg