Ford Edge Spare Key Cost $350 Dollars

Sanoa

When I purchased my 2013 Ford Edge Sport some time ago I did not know that the physical key is inside the key fob itself. 

When I got the key fob I noticed there was a portion that looked broken off but it was where the key was inserted. I didn't know it came with a physical key. The dealer told me that the car only needs a key fob to get in, start, open the trunk, etc. I noticed there was a keyhole in the driver door eventually and thought to myself that this is some retarded designing by whoever created this.

Sometime after owning the car I began having battery problems. I was at work one day, went on a 15-minute break, walked to the car and used the key fob to unlock it but nothing happened. I tried to start the car with the fob and none of the electronice on the car was working at all. I knew what the problem was right away.

The positive battery terminal was overheating for whatever reason and started to sink in the battery over time. I didn't think this would affect the electronics. I had the thought that what if the battery never works again then the keyfob would stop working as it did for that moment. I had this problem a handful of times later and realized that I need a physical key so I can get in my car. 

I called the dealer and asked how much is a physical key. The man told me that for my car it was $350 dollars. I was disgusted. Why would a key cost that much?

It's only a physical key.

And that, sir, is why everyone should spend as much time as necessary to read the owner's manuals (preferably while sitting in the car) cover to cover.  If the car is purchased used and there's no manual, no problem.  Ford offers manuals in .pdf form at no charge on their website. 

That said, you're certainly not alone.  There was an incident in my area earlier this summer involving a mom who locked her child in a car and the fob wouldn't unlock the door.  She dialed 911, cops arrived and broke out the side window to get inside.  You know where I'm going with this right?  She had the old school 'key' in her hand the whole time, it was in the fob and she could have simply unlocked the driver's door with it.  The child was fine btw.

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...