Looking for opinions on how well ECU tunes work

Jombi

I’ve never done an ecu tune on any car and I’m wondering, specifically for the 2019 Edge 2.7 EcoBoost, how much power is really “left on the table” and if those who have installed them have realized significant gains.

It’s my general understanding that Ford’s bean counters figured, for example, that the 2018 2.7 was rated at 315hp, and they figured if they tuned another 20 hp to get the current 335hp, they’d get a marketing boost to sell more cars, at the cost of “x” number of blown engines or turbos to repair under warranty. 

So how much is really left and at what risk?  From what I’ve read it looks like I might see ~40hp gain with some of the common tunes (Livernois, is what I was considering).  Those of you that have done this—can you feel that change without having to take it to the track and time it? I mean is it absolutely “wow, that’s a significant boost” or is it more in the 1/4 times that you see it in terms of few tenths?  I’d really like to take the plunge but I’m wondering if I’m hoping for an unrealistic gain.  I want to be thrilled—I want to know that if I come across that X5 that left me looking at its taillights comes around again, that I’m gonna at least be nose to nose.

Thanks!

11 hours ago, Jombi said:

It’s my general understanding that Ford’s bean counters figured, for example, that the 2018 2.7 was rated at 315hp, and they figured if they tuned another 20 hp to get the current 335hp, they’d get a marketing boost to sell more cars, at the cost of “x” number of blown engines or turbos to repair under warranty.

They're not going to risk blowing up the engine or tranny for a few extra hp from the factory.  It's a safe tune designed to last 150K minimum.

That said from what I've seen a 93 octane tune on ecoboost engines is quite noticeable even in everyday driving.  How noticeable it would be for you is a question I can't answer. 

I have used livernois for a 2015 & 2018 edge sport

the 93 tune is outstanding

i ran 100,000 miles on my 2015

with no issues at all & I have a heavy foot

the tune is like night & day

a pleasure to drive

i only went to the track once with my 15 pulled hi 12

obviously runs much better in cool weather as stock inner cooler

heat soaks quickly

best $ 500 you can spend for more go

14 hours ago, Jombi said:

I like the ST.  This post is not meant to be interpreted as condescending towards any ST owner.   Ford made a lot of advancements with the ST.  There is lots to love about the ST.

The engine not so much. There is absolutely nothing new about the engine. Its the same engine in that's in the 2015-2018 edge sport. The same engine in the MKX. The same engine that's Nautilus. The ST is the first time that Ford and Lincoln have matching HP. The ST is running a variation of the tune (might be the same damn tune who knows) that Ford put on the Lincolns MKX - Nautilus from 2015......

The reason why the bean counters opted to use the same tune etc is because its an ST.  You have to ask if the ST had the same ponies as the edge sport would people be compelled to buy one.....

15 hours ago, Jombi said:

So how much is really left and at what risk?  From what I’ve read it looks like I might see ~40hp gain with some of the common tunes (Livernois, is what I was considering).  Those of you that have done this—can you feel that change without having to take it to the track and time it? I mean is it absolutely “wow, that’s a significant boost” or is it more in the 1/4 times that you see it in terms of few tenths?  I’d really like to take the plunge but I’m wondering if I’m hoping for an unrealistic gain.  I want to be thrilled—I want to know that if I come across that X5 that left me looking at its taillights comes around again, that I’m gonna at least be nose to nose.

Thanks!

The 93 Octane tune is phenomenal! Once you drive on it and go back to stock it will be like going through withdrawal. It's a night and day difference! Its like watching UHD then going back to grandpa's tube TV.  In regards to the X5 it depends on the model & what engine is under the hood. Have to keep your expectations realistic and you won't be disappointed!

5 hours ago, Jombi said:

Thanks everyone, I'm going to go for it!  

--Jim

I would be remiss if, I did not suggest that you do your due diligence.  Take it as a voice of reason/ caution.  We don't know if you're leasing or financing.  If I was financing,  I would wait about a good year or so of ownership before tuning.  Any issues that may present itself will usually happen within the first year.  TSB updates/ anomalies etc

If I was leasing I really wouldn't care.  

Remember to flash her back to her stock calibration/ tune when you bring your edge in for service.

That being said enjoy your tune!

• Like 1