Fast, Clean Oil Changes

handfiler

Anyone use an evacuator pump to do oil changes? My Malibu and Lincoln both have top placement oil filters so I decided pick up a Mityvac 7201 and give it a try.

I used it on the Malibu first and it pulled out 4.5 liters which is the oil capacity of the car. The nice thing about it is that it also functions as a pump and will empty the spent oil out right back into the jug making for a no fuss no mess proposition.

Bring the car up to temperature, shut it off and let it sit for about 10 minutes and then proceed. It took about 8 pumps to get the oil flowing and none after that to drain the entire contents.

Mercedes, BMW etc. have been doing it this way for years. I can see why now.

20191007_181243.jpg

20191007_182751.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 1004ron said:

I use an oil extractor similar to yours, but it doesn't work on the 2.7L ecoboost because the tube doesn't go to the bottom of the sump.

I thought about picking up something similar. But now that you mention the tube not going to the bottom of the sump, I'll have to explore other options. I was interested in a electric one to help with PTU and RDU fluid changes. 

• Like 1

It goes right to the bottom of the pan. You can hear it contact the plastic pan. I measured the inserted length and it extends 40mm beyond the dipstick length. It measured approximately 60mm of oil on the end of the tube.

The Mityvac 7201 comes with 2 different tubing diameters. The smaller diameter fits just fine if you apply a little twist as you insert it....ooh that sounds kind of obscene ?.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, handfiler said:

It goes right to the bottom of the pan. You can hear it contact the plastic pan. I measured the inserted length and it extends 40mm beyond the dipstick length. It measured approximately 60mm of oil on the end of the tube.

The Mityvac 7201 comes with 2 different tubing diameters. The smaller diameter fits just fine if you apply a little twist as you insert it....ooh that sounds kind of obscene ?.

Check this thread and the below image showing the dipstick, which  doesn't extend down to the bottom of the sump - not sure if yours is different, but let me know if it works for you.

Screenshot_2015-09-22-10-33-26.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1