2019 edge SEL

Nolan

2019 Ford Edge SEL FWD.  Have owned this car now a little over six months have a little over 6,200 miles.  Wife wanted a SUV to carry more stuff. We only have one car. Has worked out fine for over twenty years.  Owned a 2009 Toyota Matrix. Base model. Bought it new. Traded it for the Ford.  The Ford has a nice quiet smooth ride compared to the Toyota.  Stop/start feature. Easy enough to shut off.  Wife likes it, I don't.  Pleather seats. We don't like them, miss the cloth seats. Took over 4,000 miles for me to not have a backache after two hours of driving or being the passenger. Must take a while for the seats to break in.  All the storage areas in the middle between the driver and passenger. The storage area on the dash. Plenty of view on the back window through the mirror. Nice size side mirrors. Like the warning light in the mirrors when someone comes along side, but we are still old school of turn the head when getting into another lane. Same as backing up, have the camera still looking around for people and other vehicles. However do like the warning beep on a vehicle coming across behind the car. Have had two times where the other car driver in a parking lot was going very fast and might have been hit backing out without the warning.  The auto windshield wipers are interesting. Sometimes work great other times they run several times and it hasn't rained that much. Also the automatic high beam low beam is interesting, although I'd drop to low beams faster then what the car does.  The wife hates the dial shiftier. I'm okay with it, but would rather have the regular shiftier.  No way to downshift when going down long hills or mountain passes as we could with the Toyota. Have to use the brake more. Try to coast as much as possible and not use the brake pedal. Has plenty of power for passing slower vehicles on two lane roads. Corners well on curvy roads.  There isn't another driver out there who can go faster then us on curves.  Always getting stuck behind slow drivers.  

Have noticed we are getting exhaust smell in the vents of the car when following other vehicles up mountain type hills.  Noticed coolant / anti-freeze level is down from half way point of max and low. Is setting on low. Noticed this October 13th. No change to oil level except down a little. Have 43% oil life left.  No charge on gas mileage.  Haven't gone to the dealership about these yet. Will when it is oil/filter change time. Try out the Ford Pass thing too.

The computer says the car is averaging 29.9 mpg. Hope that gets better with time.

Overall getting to like the car more. Going to miss the satellite radio, but have plenty of radio stations to listen to or when we get into areas without anything worth listening to, like the last car just shut it off and do without.

Welcome to the forums. Nice review.

For hilly driving, did you try to put it in Sport? Press the S button in the shifter dial, it should hold gears more and even downshift as you brake.

For the exhaust smell, turn on the circulate button so it doesn't get outside smells in. Also the HVAC would operate more effectively.

1 hour ago, Nolan said:

2019 Ford Edge SEL FWD. Have noticed we are getting exhaust smell in the vents of the car when following other vehicles up mountain type hills.  Noticed coolant / anti-freeze level is down from half way point of max and low.

The computer says the car is averaging 29.9 mpg. Hope that gets better with time.

Going to miss the satellite radio

Hey Nolan,

It sounds like you're really enjoying your Edge.  Of course there's always going to be 'something' we'd change and the lack of ability to downshift with steering wheel mounted paddles or a lever is mentioned often as one thing owners would change.
About your issues:
1. When you're pulling in outside odors, switch to recirculate with the button on your dash or on your screen (climate).
2. You can either bring your own coolant up to the normal (Min when cold) level or roll by the dealership and let them do it.  They might not have checked it off the list during the prep.
3. I can't imagine you're ever going to get more than 29.9 mpg, in fact how you're doing that now is a mystery based on other numbers posted in assorted Edge groups/forums.  You 'should' give that turbo a workout once in awhile :)

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies.  I did try the sport button slowing down for a stop light and the car did downshift and slowed down more.  Will have to give it a try in the mountains next summer.  Will do the same with the circulate button.  Had the vent on at the time.  Nice and cool in the mountains.  

As for using the turbo.  My wife has the need for speed, she exercises the turbo every time she drives the car.   ?  

• Like 1