Loud clicking when turning right at slow speeds

fishx65

6 hours ago, fishx65 said:

My 2011 (100,000 miles) has a loud clicking noise when turning right at slow speeds.  I'm thinking strut bearing.  Is the sound coming from the spring rotating in it's seat or the bearing itself?  Any quick fixes with a can of lube or does it have to be replaced? 

Reading the thread title the first thing that comes to mind is CV joint, but just for clarity, does this only happen as the steering is rotating, or does it happen when pulling off with the steering at full lock?

• Like 1

On 11/29/2019 at 1:59 PM, 1004ron said:

Reading the thread title the first thing that comes to mind is CV joint, but just for clarity, does this only happen as the steering is rotating, or does it happen when pulling off with the steering at full lock?

I'm gonna test it out better the next couple days and then post some more info.  It's been a clickin for a long time.

11 hours ago, fishx65 said:

I'm gonna test it out better the next couple days and then post some more info.  It's been a clickin for a long time.

If you pull off with the steering full lock and it clicks, that's a sign the CV joint is gone - they should last well beyond 100K miles unless the rubber boots have been damaged.

Check the the drive shafts for signs of lubricant leakage from the boots.

Edited by 1004ron
  • Like 1

On 11/30/2019 at 9:09 PM, 1004ron said:

If you pull off with the steering full lock and it clicks, that's a sign the CV joint is gone - they should last well beyond 100K miles unless the rubber boots have been damaged.

Check the the drive shafts for signs of lubricant leakage from the boots.

Will do, Thanks!!!:)

There was also a halfshaft related recall on certain Gen 1.5 Edge/MKX vehicles - 14S10.  While your 2011 is not included, may have similar issues.  Otherwise, as above.

REASON FOR THIS SAFETY RECALL
In some of the affected vehicles, the circlip that retains the right-hand halfshaft to the intermediate
shaft may not have been fully seated during assembly. A halfshaft that is not fully seated may move
outward over time, which can result in NVH, damage to the shaft splines, and/or halfshaft
disengagement from the intermediate shaft. If the two shafts fully disengage, the halfshaft will no
longer transmit torque to the wheel, and the vehicle will experience loss of drive function.
Additionally, if the two shafts are disengaged, unexpected vehicle movement may occur if the
gearshift lever is placed in the “Park” position without the park brake being applied, increasing the risk
of a crash.

Safety Recall 14S10 Certain 2012 through 2014 Model Year Taurus, Police Interceptor Sedan, MKS, Flex, MKT, Edge and MKX Vehicles Right-Hand Front Halfshaft Retention Inspection-Repair.pdf

• 2 months later...

Haven't driven it much except a 500 mile run up north and back.  Thanks to you guys, I'm now convinced it's the passenger side CV Joint.  Is this something I need to have done immediately or am I cool for quite a while?  I'm a do-it-yourselfer and planning on attacking this issue sometime in the Michigan summer.