19 Titanium Heated Steering Wheel

The heated wheel in my 2018 Sport gets very warm/toasty to the point of almost being hot. The steering wheel in my 2019 barely gets warm no matter how long it is left on. The dealership claims that is normal and state that they compared it to another 2019 Edge which also barely got warm. I wonder if something was changed at Ford for the 19 model year or is the dealership feeding me a line. Temps are in the 20-30's here so that should not be a factor. How warm does your 19 Edge wheel get?

Your dealer just doesn't want to do the work or the service writer simply isn't aware of what can and can not be done.  The steering wheel temperature is easily controllable using FORScan (and whatever the dealer uses to adjust modules).

You'll find the codes under HSWM in FORScan:

image.thumb.png.b9d09f62f49dcf0562cb86d0109ef40a.png

Edited by Gadgetjq
  • Like 1

I asked if the temperature could be adjusted via software and mentioned Forscan. I was told they don't use Forscan, and that Forscan is something used by non dealer shops to alter OEM software. I told him I was not happy with the lukewarm temperature and requested a replacement wheel if it could not be adjusted to a more realistic temperature. .......The service writer said he will discuss it with their warranty person and get back to me.

35 minutes ago, basment said:

The service writer said he will discuss it with their warranty person and get back to me.

I recently had a Ford dealership service writer admit to me he doesn't really know anything about cars beyond how to put gas in and....maybe...change a tire.  At least it sounds like your guy is willing to take the next step and consult someone who actually does the job.   I guarantee you the dealership has the tools to do what I posted above.  If they tell you it isn't a warranty item because it isn't broken, head for another dealership. 

Or, just blow them off and do it yourself with FORScan which 'might' be used by independent shops but 'is' certainly used by members of Ford forums representing literally every model produced by Ford and Lincoln since 2010 or so.   One caution, once you start using FORScan it's a slippery slope.  You'll start by adjusting your steering wheel temperature then you'll decide your horn beeps too much and you'll turn that off.  Then you'll decide to fiddle with your lighting and maybe lock the shift lever when the fob isn't in the car.  There are, literally, hundreds of changes YOU can make without getting the dealer involved. 

Edited by Gadgetjq
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Gadgetjq said:

I guarantee you the dealership has the tools to do what I posted above.  

Sorry, but the dealer doesn't have tools to adjust the  HSW temperature.  His 18 Sport and 19 Titanium even have different HSW systems.  The 18 Sport doesn't have a heated steering wheel module.  Its all part of the adaptive steering wheel module.  Any dealer that uses unauthorized software  such as the one you mentioned puts themselves in the position of being in the dog house with Ford.  Dealers should only be using licensed Ford software known as IDS and FDRS.  The direct options available to be changed are limited and last I checked steering wheel temp is not an option.   Ford service centers are having to deal with people making changes they shouldn't be with unauthorized software and when something doesn't work right anymore, getting warranty work done that should have never been warranty work to begin with.  Ford even had to put out a special notice to dealers about SYNC3 issues being caused by unauthorized changes.  Ford is catching on.