What coolant - Gold or Green

Hi, 

New owner of 2009 Limited (got it 3 weeks back). In the Welcome forum, some of the senior members greeted me - really happy.  Mine is FWD and built before 01/16/2009. While buying, I noticed that the coolant was very dirty. So, after buying, took the vehicle to FORD dealer and did the Coolant Flush. After driving home, I noticed that the dealer has put the Gold Coolant. I went back and checked with dealer about the Green Specialty coolant. Dealer says that they have NOT seen the green coolant in the last 20 years - it is either Gold or Orange. 

I asked about whether the gold will create any problem with heater core, etc.... (because that is why Ford changed to Green, right).   Dealer is ready to put Green Coolant, but I have to decide and tell them. Dealer says that 09 built before 01/16/2009 came with Gold, so they put Gold. What do you all suggest - if Gold is problematic, then I will go with Dark Green specialty. Over the years, if Ford fixed the Gold coolant (not to create any corrosion issues), then I will leave the coolant as it is. If Gold is problematic, then I will go for the Dark Green Coolant. Please suggest and let me know which one to go with. 

[ I already changed Transmission fluid with Valvoline Maxlife ATF and changing the Steering fluid this weekend with the same Valvoline Maxlife ATF. Brake fluid looks very clear, so later ]. 

Sorry if this is a wrong place to put this topic and Thanks in advance for any input/suggestions. 

Regards. 

9 hours ago, chotabeam said:

Hi, 

New owner of 2009 Limited (got it 3 weeks back). In the Welcome forum, some of the senior members greeted me - really happy.  Mine is FWD and built before 01/16/2009. While buying, I noticed that the coolant was very dirty. So, after buying, took the vehicle to FORD dealer and did the Coolant Flush. After driving home, I noticed that the dealer has put the Gold Coolant. I went back and checked with dealer about the Green Specialty coolant. Dealer says that they have NOT seen the green coolant in the last 20 years - it is either Gold or Orange. 

I asked about whether the gold will create any problem with heater core, etc.... (because that is why Ford changed to Green, right).   Dealer is ready to put Green Coolant, but I have to decide and tell them. Dealer says that 09 built before 01/16/2009 came with Gold, so they put Gold. What do you all suggest - if Gold is problematic, then I will go with Dark Green specialty. Over the years, if Ford fixed the Gold coolant (not to create any corrosion issues), then I will leave the coolant as it is. If Gold is problematic, then I will go for the Dark Green Coolant. Please suggest and let me know which one to go with. 

[ I already changed Transmission fluid with Valvoline Maxlife ATF and changing the Steering fluid this weekend with the same Valvoline Maxlife ATF. Brake fluid looks very clear, so later ]. 

Sorry if this is a wrong place to put this topic and Thanks in advance for any input/suggestions. 

Regards. 

You should use the search function on here and read a bunch. The coolant topic has been discussed a tremendous amount already. Cheers!

Yours is showing the Gold is required.    

I know you can still get it from Ford, because I still use it in a 2004 Crown Vic.

I would assume that you could switch to another flavor, as long as it is flushed well and make sure you continue to use the same type.

Ironically I bought extra of the Motorcraft Orange Coolant for my 2015 and now my new 2019 ST was filled with the Yellow and there was an addition to the owners manual noting the change.

Quick video on the different colors:

Edited by JoeVic
  • Like 1

Thanks everyone for their input. 

I spent some time in this forum as Non-member before buying the Edge. I have the Coolant chart as pdf in my computer. When I did search "Coolant" in this forum, the results  came to 43 pages. I went through first 15 pages and still was not clear whether whoever had Gold coolant (from 07 to 09 MY) changed to Green. So, I posted the question. 

Now WWWPerfA_ZN0W cleared that doubt and Thank you sir.  So, I will ask the dealer to change the coolant to Dark Green. 

I watched a lot of MacTFordEdge videos in the last 3 weeks and changed my steering fluid yesterday like he did. Thanks to him and all senior members here. 

Regards, 

Chotabeam 

• Like 1