should we replaced summer tires?

dajo2012

I would.  Though summer tires today are better than ever, and can handle rain pretty well, snow and ice are a bit beyond their capabilities.  While you could "manage", the last thing you want to do is not have solid road control in adverse conditions.  Honestly, if you can manage two sets of wheels/tires, get snow tires instead, such as the Nokian Hakkapeliittas.

• Like 2

I am going to relate a little bit of my experience with summer tires in winter. 

I had a 13 Taurus SHO that I bought new in January of 2013.  It had the performance package and came with summer tires with the same warning about temp.  It was my first experience with summer tires and I questioned the salesman about it.  I am in Wisconsin...snow cold etc in January.   The salesman said "oh they will be just fine, we have sold cars with summer tires and no one has ever complained about using them in winter."  I could tell from the ride the tires were "hard" in the cold weather, def less traction than I thought they would have.  I didn't find out just how unsafe they are in winter until a few days later when it snowed.  The SHO was AWD but making a turn in fresh snow was like driving on an ice skating rink.  ZERO traction....slip and slide all over.  Fortunately I was being careful since I didn't know exactly what to expect.  

Needless to say, I ordered a winter wheel package on line immediately and swapped the wheels over with a dedicated wheel winter set up.  Night and day difference.  That car was a beast in the snow then.

Of course where you live and your exact weather will dictate what you do but my recommendation is to have a second set of wheels for winter use if you have any chance of getting snow and driving in it.  Second to that would be getting the tires swapped out to all season.  

Don't risk your well being and others on the road by using summer rated tires in weather they are not designed for.

Edited by jmr061
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 1:22 PM, jmr061 said:

I am going to relate a little bit of my experience with summer tires in winter. 

I had a 13 Taurus SHO that I bought new in January of 2013.  It had the performance package and came with summer tires with the same warning about temp.  It was my first experience with summer tires and I questioned the salesman about it.  I am in Wisconsin...snow cold etc in January.   The salesman said "oh they will be just fine, we have sold cars with summer tires and no one has ever complained about using them in winter."  I could tell from the ride the tires were "hard" in the cold weather, def less traction than I thought they would have.  I didn't find out just how unsafe they are in winter until a few days later when it snowed.  The SHO was AWD but making a turn in fresh snow was like driving on an ice skating rink.  ZERO traction....slip and slide all over.  Fortunately I was being careful since I didn't know exactly what to expect.  

Needless to say, I ordered a winter wheel package on line immediately and swapped the wheels over with a dedicated wheel winter set up.  Night and day difference.  That car was a beast in the snow then.

Of course where you live and your exact weather will dictate what you do but my recommendation is to have a second set of wheels for winter use if you have any chance of getting snow and driving in it.  Second to that would be getting the tires swapped out to all season.  

Don't risk your well being and others on the road by using summer rated tires in weather they are not designed for.

Your first hint should have been "the salesman said"  They don't want to scare off a sale with unimportant info like it can kill you.

• Like 1