Sync

I don't know...but I wonder if it is something to wait for. I mean, I have not bought my edge yet, and I wonder if this is something that I should wait for?

I really don't know that I "Need" that much technology. I really do want the Navigation System, because I am terrible with directions. That, I will get a lot of use out of. But, I dont know that I need something to send messages for me, and all that. However, it sounds really nice and luxurious.

• 1 month later...
Hello... does anyone know if the Ford/Microsoft Sync that will be in the 08 Edge will be something we can backfit into the 07?

Thanks.

Paul

That is my question as well. I asked at the dealership, no one knows. I researched on line and could only get the usual videos demonstrating sync.

I am supposed to order my edge today, and don't know if I should wait until fall for the 2008 models, add mobile ease now, or wait and see if I can retro fit the 2007!

I don't really want to wait for my Edge!

• 2 months later...
Hello... does anyone know if the Ford/Microsoft Sync that will be in the 08 Edge will be something we can backfit into the 07?

Thanks.

Paul

I spoke to a friend who works at a dealership in Richmond, VA and he said that he wasn't certain if it would be possible to add Sync to an 07, but he does THINK that it would be possible. As far as cost he said that there is no way to ballpark it since they have not actually seen a vehicle outfitted with the system. He said that it could end up being a comparable cost to adding it on to an 08 or it might be very very expensive.

Also, he told me that once the 08 Taurus is released (the first of the Sync models to be released) the dealerships should be able to give an estimate as to how much it would cost to retro-fit the system to an 07 model, because they will have access to the system and will know how much work will be required.

I am in the market for an Edge right now and really want Sync, but I also don't want to wait until Fall to get one.

Decisions decisions.

• 2 weeks later...

I was at my local Ford dealer today driving a couple of 07 Edges and I asked the business manager for the dealership, about whether the Sync system could be retrofit into an 07. He said he wasn't positive, but thinks that Sync will be dealer installed not factory, in which case it will probably be possible to put it in an 07. However, he said he will try to find out for sure for me.

I know, someone will say that he just wants to sell the 07s, but I had already decided to buy an 07 and so he had no incentive to lie. In fact we were in the process of searching for an 07 Black SEL+ w/nav, bamr and 18" painted wheels (I hate chrome wheels!) when I asked the question. Also, he's a personal friend.

He's the first to admit he may be wrong, but he will get the answer for us if Ford is making the info available dealers yet. :yup:

I was at my local Ford dealer today driving a couple of 07 Edges and I asked the business manager for the dealership, about whether the Sync system could be retrofit into an 07. He said he wasn't positive, but thinks that Sync will be dealer installed not factory, in which case it will probably be possible to put it in an 07. However, he said he will try to find out for sure for me.

I know, someone will say that he just wants to sell the 07s, but I had already decided to buy an 07 and so he had no incentive to lie. In fact we were in the process of searching for an 07 Black SEL+ w/nav, bamr and 18" painted wheels (I hate chrome wheels!) when I asked the question. Also, he's a personal friend.

He's the first to admit he may be wrong, but he will get the answer for us if Ford is making the info available dealers yet. :yup:

Please keep us posted on what you're able to find out from the business manager, as I'm sure there are quite a few of us interested in this system.

Please keep us posted on what you're able to find out from the business manager, as I'm sure there are quite a few of us interested in this system.

Will do. He's supposed to call me tomorrow to tell me whether he was able to get the Edge we found in our search. Hopefully, he'll have some info on the Sync question for all of us as well.

Will do. He's supposed to call me tomorrow to tell me whether he was able to get the Edge we found in our search. Hopefully, he'll have some info on the Sync question for all of us as well.

I am as well interested in the Sync.

Does anyone know if the handfree option needs to be added in order for Sync to work?

I am trying to figure out if I should bother adding the handfree option or just wait to see if I can upgrade to Sync.

Any word on whether the Sync system will be availalbe as a retrofit for the 2007 Edge/MKX?

A video of the Sync system is available on Utube - very impressive!

BUT, the steering wheel controls, in the video, reflected a PHONE button on the right side of the steering wheel, which is NOT found on my MKX.

This in itself bodes poorly for a retrofit.

Any word on whether the Sync system will be availalbe as a retrofit for the 2007 Edge/MKX?

A video of the Sync system is available on Utube - very impressive!

BUT, the steering wheel controls, in the video, reflected a PHONE button on the right side of the steering wheel, which is NOT found on my MKX.

This in itself bodes poorly for a retrofit.

I saw that too, and thought the same thing.

• 2 weeks later...

I was kinda waiting for Sync, but was willing to go wihtout it. Then I saw 08 brings dark blue as an exterior option, so I am defintly waiting.

I will be getting sync as well. Probably. Newer PIoneer aftermarket navis look nice. Does anyone know if sync will stream video?

Does anyone know what the audio output of the headunits (particularly the navi) is like? is it line level and friendly to aftermarket amps and speakers? IE: is it reasonably flat response-wise or is it burdened with some lame EQ curve to compensate for lame speakers?

No video for Sync - yet. But the Sync software is easily upgraded via a USB memory stick downloaded on your computer so I think video and a software based Navigation program are probably likely future upgrades.

I don't think you'd have any problems with aftermarket amps. Crutchfield would be a good resource to check what's required.

I don't know...but I wonder if it is something to wait for. I mean, I have not bought my edge yet, and I wonder if this is something that I should wait for?

I really don't know that I "Need" that much technology. I really do want the Navigation System, because I am terrible with directions. That, I will get a lot of use out of. But, I dont know that I need something to send messages for me, and all that. However, it sounds really nice and luxurious.

I passed on the Nav in my Edge.

I use Mapquest, Googlemaps, etc.

Much less expensive.

Unless you need to find a destination or an alternate route after you're on the road. That's where the Nav has the biggest advantage.

Guess I've been lucky. Between MQ (etc), calling the destination and asking how to get there, or following everyone else on their way to the alternate route, I haven't missed having a Nav.

I drove an Edge with Nav for one day waiting for my Edge to arrive from another dealer. My main complaint was that the fingerprints on the screen were really obvious.

I'm not knocking the Nav - I would get one in a second if it was combined with OnStar (or a similar system).

Guess I've been lucky. Between MQ (etc), calling the destination and asking how to get there, or following everyone else on their way to the alternate route, I haven't missed having a Nav.

I drove an Edge with Nav for one day waiting for my Edge to arrive from another dealer. My main complaint was that the fingerprints on the screen were really obvious.

I'm not knocking the Nav - I would get one in a second if it was combined with OnStar (or a similar system).

It's one of those things that if you've never had it you don't realize the benefits but once you use it a couple of times in those situations it's hard to do without it.

As for OnStar - why would you want that?

It's one of those things that if you've never had it you don't realize the benefits but once you use it a couple of times in those situations it's hard to do without it.

As for OnStar - why would you want that?

You are probably right - I'm sure after I became use to it I would never want to do without.

OnStar - emergencies and the "fun-toy" factor. I think it would be pretty cool when traveling to punch a button and have them download directions to a new restaurant, etc. I know I could enter the address of the same restaurant and have it displayed on the Nav but....

I wouldn't have to Nav it or call and ask directions.

You are probably right - I'm sure after I became use to it I would never want to do without.

OnStar - emergencies and the "fun-toy" factor. I think it would be pretty cool when traveling to punch a button and have them download directions to a new restaurant, etc. I know I could enter the address of the same restaurant and have it displayed on the Nav but....

I wouldn't have to Nav it or call and ask directions.

I've got the nav and I have to say that even if you never use it for directions or a route its really valuable as a map. It's already helped me find my way after the person I was following lost me at a light in a location I was unfamiliar with.

• 5 weeks later...

The Edge. Lincoln MKX and the Ford Focus will be the first vehicles to get the new SYNC option. It will be standard on selected vehicles and a $395 option on lower series vehicles. Hopefully we will get to see new Edge order guides soon.

Here is what they say for the new Focus:

SYNC™ is a fully integrated, in car voice activated communications and entertainment system for customers to use their Bluetooth cell phone and digital media players

• SYNC™ provides the customer with a command and control interface for the vehicle infotainment system, Bluetooth enabled phones, and portable media devices through USB, analog input or Bluetooth

• Provides connections for a wide range of devices including MP3 players, memory sticks, IPODS, PDA and others.

• Command and control of devices through radio and steering wheel controls

• Voice controls for enhanced phone and music device control

• Includes electrochromic mirror, redundant audio controls and leather wrapped steering wheel

• Standard on the SES series, optional on SE

Thanks.

Paul

As I have said on a seperate thread, this is technically possible. However, the amount of effort to make this work will be significant, not to mention that there are software and hardware updates to the headunits that you may or may not be able to obtain, making the operation of the device unreliable and unsupported by dealer/manufacturer.

Mark

SYNC Software Engineer

Microsoft