2017 ford edge block heater

ThugFordEdge3.5

Does a 2017 FORD EDGE TITANIUM 3.5L V6 come with a block heater installed? I have that hole on the front bumper that has a flip lid and it does have a 3 prong plug in showing.  I been plugging into that, but I'm not completely sure if it's connected to a actual block heater. Vehicle was bought new in Canada north of Ontario and it does get cold here. So I'm just wondering if that 3 prong plug on the front bumper means I have a block heater. I tried looking for where it would be in the engine but can't locate. Neither can I find a diagram anywhere online. Any information would be appreciated. Thank you.  

7 hours ago, Gadgetjq said:

The plug is a pretty certain indicator you have a block heater.  It should be easy to tell if it's working.  When you fire up the engine in the morning is the coolant already warmed up?  If yes, you have a functioning block heater. 

Actually I haven't checked the coolant.  Would simply dipping my finger in coolant reservoir do? I'm assuming the heat would make its way to the reservoir right? I will check it next time I go out either way. I wasn't gonna use a block heater because it's starts fine, but the other day I remotely started the 2017 edge and was running 7 minutes when I got in and started driving, and I could hear a slight growl from the engine when I accelerate and press gas pedal.  I stuck it in park and gave it some gas to see if it would still do that slight growl sound, and it doesn't do it in park for some odd reason. But after about 10 to 15 minutes of driving it disappeared. Maybe it's the transmission oil? Would be something that only operates in drive or reverse. Anyway that's when I thought it would be a good ideal to use a block heater lol. I was looking into those heater pads for oil pan and transmission but heard some stories of it getting wet and starting fires.. I may just buy a oil pan plug type heater that goes into the plug for oil pan and into the oil. It looks to be the most direct efficient way to get the oil warm. 

Edited by ThugFordEdge3.5

16 minutes ago, ThugFordEdge3.5 said:

Would simply dipping my finger in coolant reservoir do?

That would work but it'd be a lot easier just to look at your temp gauge. 

The problem with block heaters is they're easy to forget about.  When I lived in Colorado I had to put a 'remove before flight' ribbon on my steering wheel when I plugged in the heater to remind me...unplug before backing out of the garage.  ;)

Personally, I don't think having a block heater is a bad thing… but it's just that with "modern" computer-controlled and fuel injected vehicles they're not really needed anymore. I live in Canada and we have some pretty cold weather and most of us don't plug our cars anymore… and in the morning, they fire up instantly. Block heaters are ok but not an absolute "must" anymore.

Claude.

Edited by 2FAST4U