Evaporator case? Really? I doubt it

Ekim

Sad situation here.   I just paid for a 2007 Ford Edge with 70,000 miles.  We drove it for a total of 3 hours in 2 days and the heat on the driver side never warmed up. Since it was the weekend we brought it in on Monday, today the 13 of Jan, and heard back that it was a 1700 fix that they would graciously take 15% off since we only had it for 2 days.  They say it is the Evaporator case that needs replacing.   In all the forums I have looked at and read and researched where the heat  on the drivers side failed did ANYONE mention the Evaporator case.     Can someone please clarify this for me. Why would one side be good temps and the other not?     This Edge has the dual temp controls.       I would greatly appreciate any insight to this mess before I deal with the dealership.   Thank you.

On 1/14/2020 at 5:33 PM, akirby said:

If it’s only on one side it’s either the  blend door actuator or the controller.  I would not let them touch it if they said it was the evaporator.

Thank you for the response.  That is what I was thinking as well so I called the service manager and asked him to explain and what he was saying is the Plenum is messed up and they had to take out the full dashboard to get at it to fix it.  Each side has its own set of motors and actuators and apparently the driver side has failed.   I am confused and I am researching

On 1/14/2020 at 5:33 PM, akirby said:

If it’s only on one side it’s either the  blend door actuator or the controller.  I would not let them touch it if they said it was the evaporator.

The flaps move and can be moved and the motor is running.  They don't know for sure until they take the dash apart.  I am hoping for a wire, mouse nest, or rock that is causing the flap to not open or shut out the outside air. 

That was one of the first things I did because that actually worked on my 2004 Silverado unfortunately it did not for the Edge.    It is in the shop right now and I am hoping they find a rock or some such thing that is clogging it up.   I didn't think of the Colant level and assumed it would have been checked out when the ford dealership did their check over.  I am requesting to see the actual part they pull out so I can learn and pass on that information here.   Plastic is not and should not be an option for moving parts.