Why did my Battery go dead overnight?

2016 Edge Titanium with 32000 miles.  Ran it for 45 minutes at idle last night to update the Sync 3 with thumb drive.

Shut it off and went to bed.  This morning the battery was completely dead, no start, no lights, no dash, even the garage opener button didn't work.

What could possibly cause this.  Never any problems in the past.

G.

I had the same experience with mine and your battery was likely already on the way out.  When they start to go bad, they do not hold a charge very well.  Couple that with cold weather, and it sucks the charging power out of them quickly.  If your battery was the original, then you were due for a battery, regardless of the low miles.  Low mileage does nothing for battery life, as batteries are tied to physical time, usually lasting between 3-5 years.

Thanks B.

I will look into the battery problem.  I would hope that is not the problem and that the battery would last 5 years or so.

I kept the battery charger on it overnight and so it started right up yesterday and seemed to have everything in the settings saved as normal.

G.

1 hour ago, cleekoguy said:

Thanks B.

I will look into the battery problem.  I would hope that is not the problem and that the battery would last 5 years or so.

I kept the battery charger on it overnight and so it started right up yesterday and seemed to have everything in the settings saved as normal.

G.

That's what I thought.   The original battery on my 2015 SEL died a few weeks shy of 3 years.  Just under the wire to get it covered by the warranty.  

Okay, thanks everyone for the comments and suggestions.

Here is the conclusion to my problem Battery.  It was the original battery.

Today the Dealer load tested the battery and found that it was too low on power to pass.  Dealer installed and new battery for me.

Crossing my fingers that this one will last 4 or 5 years.

G.