Canadian buying from US

TyVan

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all. :D I am certainly no expert on Canadian/U.S. tax and importation laws, so this is a question for anyone who truly knows the answer (not guesses or speculation): If a Canadian resident was to purchase a vehicle in the U.S., don't they have to pay import duties and taxes (i.e. VAT) when they register it in Canada that would eat up any savings they may have realized from a U.S purchase? Unless a Canadian citizen also has a legal U.S. address, the vehicle would still need to be Canadian registered?

I would think that it would not be that easy to "beat the system".

Again, I am not an expert in this field, so am just wondering.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

Hi all. :D I am certainly no expert on Canadian/U.S. tax and importation laws, so this is a question for anyone who truly knows the answer (not guesses or speculation): If a Canadian resident was to purchase a vehicle in the U.S., don't they have to pay import duties and taxes (i.e. VAT) when they register it in Canada that would eat up any savings they may have realized from a U.S purchase? Unless a Canadian citizen also has a legal U.S. address, the vehicle would still need to be Canadian registered?

I would think that it would not be that easy to "beat the system".

Again, I am not an expert in this field, so am just wondering.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Here are a few links to answer your questions, but pay very close attention to the fact that you may not have warranty in Canada.

http://www.westherr.com/How_to_Import_Or_E...da_From_USA.cfm

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/bu...188&k=88155

http://www.tc.gc.ca/mediaroom/releases/nat/2007/07-h245e.htm

Ford warranty is for North America so it is covered in Canada.

You pay PST & GST plus about $200 to import/register in Canada. No duty since it is made in Canada.

I've found at least a $6500 difference between the best negotiated deal which equals $7345 when you take into account the tax savings.

Lot's of information around the web on this.

Very common topic on the Ody forum I belong to. Numerous people have bought Hondas in the USA and brought them back. No duties just taxes and you have to make sure its on the list of cars you can import. (www.odyclub.com). There is a fee to register the car in Canada but believe it is not very much.

The only sure difference is Honda Canada WILL NOT honour any warranty claim for a car purchased by a Canadian and brought back to Canada. I believe this only applys to new cars, not used. Most people that have done it said it was very easy and the money they saved will more than compensate them if they have to pay out of pocket for a major item (Transmissions are the big ticket hit). For a fully loaded ODY the spread was something like 10,000.00 cdn in the driveway for the exact same van. A tranny will go for 3-4000. You can also buy a third party CANADIAN warranty from various companies in place of a Honda warranty. This could be a problem as some of the firms have bad reputations in that business.

• 2 years later...

...The only sure difference is Honda Canada WILL NOT honour any warranty claim for a car purchased by a Canadian and brought back to Canada.

The FORD warranty is good USA and/or Canada..I got it straight from FORD.

We are buying a 2011 in the USA and bringing it up to Canada. The "taxes" paid are the same whether bought in US or Canada.

A

• 2 weeks later...