Faint whine when driving, varies with rpm but not when in P or N

14AWD3.5

Hi all,

So my extended warranty is up March 30 and I thought I’d get this checked but wanted to know what you all thought.  
My 62K 2014 awd has been fine (3 tpu changes, 1 coolant, 1 tranny, 1 rdu, and my own p steering and brake fluid reservoir drain and fill) however for the last 10k or so miles I have been hearing (only at low speed as tires mask it) an rpm dependent whine, fairly quiet.  I know it might be a pulley or bearing or trans but can’t tell.  It doesn’t seem to make the noise except when in D and moving.  When I rev it some in N or P I don’t hear it.

I know that all fluid levels are ok.

Any thoughts?

• 1 month later...

Hi again,

I’m thinking its the use of the wrong ps fluid. I had used O'Reilley's generic “Ford approved” fluid, 1 qt worth. That drained and refilled the reservoir 3-4 times.  Now 8K later I thought I’d see if using a motocraft Mercon LV ATF would improve anything.

I performed the same pump out and refill, turning wheels lock to lock about 5 times each drain and fill, for a total of 4X, which was just over 1 qt.  However, even reading the specifcations page in the manual theres no fluid capacity listed for the p steering.  
Kinda’ stumped.

So anyone know how many qts are needed to fully flush out the system?

Edited by 14AWD3.5
Typo

I ended up calling Ford parts and they said it is a 2.4 pint capacity, so just over 1 qt.  The parts guy said use Mercon 5 but LV would be ok, as it is a more recent fluid...

Since  I only flushed 1 qt, there will still be old fluid in the system, so I’d better flush another quart. Maybe then that will quiet it as its even noisier now (likely is air in the line).

Next on my list of maintenance items to try and screw up is the trans fluid getting siphoned out through the dipstick. I’ve got 8 qts of Mercon LV to use, will try and siphon out, refill, drive, siphon out, refill, drive... maybe 2.5 times of doing that. Won’t change it all but should get it roughly 50% renewed.  (10 qt capacity)

Edited by 14AWD3.5
Typo

• 2 months later...

Noise/whine came right back within a day even with Mercon LV.  Guess it still has air trapped in it. Tried lock-to-lock turns about 25 times to burp it out but still there.  Not too loud but can be heard. Oh well, at least the fluid is much cleaner.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hello!

I have and 07 MKX with 139,000 miles and notice similar symptons on the engine vine/hawling while acelerating and moving card along the freeway.

Also, I did a Power Steering Fluid replacement with new Mercon V after the old was was very dark/blackish.  However, the problem still there.

Since MKX share same engine as Edge I though I post this for any update on the issue.

My next step was to consider replacing the TSS sensors as explained in below video on Youtube.

sp9239

• 9 months later...

I changed PTU fluid (5th time in 105K) last week and the whine is gone. Could have been low from the previous Firestone change, don't know but the whine is gone. Nothing else was disturbed so I'm thinking that was it, a low amount of gear oil.

Strange since there was no evidence of a leak. Now I'm unsure if Firestone filled it. I drove on their service fill for 30K without incident so perhaps it was simply low?.

Edited by 14AWD3.5

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/29/2021 at 4:01 PM, 14AWD3.5 said:

Strange since there was no evidence of a leak. Now I'm unsure if Firestone filled it. I drove on their service fill for 30K without incident so perhaps it was simply low?.

Could be the fluid got hot and starting congelling, (not leaking).