Sign in to follow this  
14AWD3.5

Faint whine when driving, varies with rpm but not when in P or N

Hi all,

So my extended warranty is up March 30 and I thought I’d get this checked but wanted to know what you all thought.  
My 62K 2014 awd has been fine (3 tpu changes, 1 coolant, 1 tranny, 1 rdu, and my own p steering and brake fluid reservoir drain and fill) however for the last 10k or so miles I have been hearing (only at low speed as tires mask it) an rpm dependent whine, fairly quiet.  I know it might be a pulley or bearing or trans but can’t tell.  It doesn’t seem to make the noise except when in D and moving.  When I rev it some in N or P I don’t hear it.

I know that all fluid levels are ok.

Any thoughts?

Hi again,

I’m thinking its the use of the wrong ps fluid. I had used O'Reilley's generic “Ford approved” fluid, 1 qt worth. That drained and refilled the reservoir 3-4 times.  Now 8K later I thought I’d see if using a motocraft Mercon LV ATF would improve anything.

I performed the same pump out and refill, turning wheels lock to lock about 5 times each drain and fill, for a total of 4X, which was just over 1 qt.  However, even reading the specifcations page in the manual theres no fluid capacity listed for the p steering.  
Kinda’ stumped.

So anyone know how many qts are needed to fully flush out the system?

Edited by 14AWD3.5
Typo

I ended up calling Ford parts and they said it is a 2.4 pint capacity, so just over 1 qt.  The parts guy said use Mercon 5 but LV would be ok, as it is a more recent fluid...

Since  I only flushed 1 qt, there will still be old fluid in the system, so I’d better flush another quart. Maybe then that will quiet it as its even noisier now (likely is air in the line).

Next on my list of maintenance items to try and screw up is the trans fluid getting siphoned out through the dipstick. I’ve got 8 qts of Mercon LV to use, will try and siphon out, refill, drive, siphon out, refill, drive... maybe 2.5 times of doing that. Won’t change it all but should get it roughly 50% renewed.  (10 qt capacity)

Edited by 14AWD3.5
Typo

Ok for the one person who’s reading this, the second full flush with another qt of Mercon LV has quieted the pump.  Guess it didn't like the generic OReilleys ps fluid.

• Like 3

Noise/whine came right back within a day even with Mercon LV.  Guess it still has air trapped in it. Tried lock-to-lock turns about 25 times to burp it out but still there.  Not too loud but can be heard. Oh well, at least the fluid is much cleaner.

My 2013 has always has a slight PS pump wine. The dealer has told me that is is normal. 

Did a fluid change and it didn't change anything.

Lately, I have been noticing a new wine along with PS. I believe it is transmission related. 

Time will tell.