2007 ford edge clunk problem (read)

jonolach

Hey yall 

Got my 2007 edge sel plus over a month ago 

Just had the passenger side bearing done and the 2 front lower control arms.  

Everything seemed to be going good and then a few days after I can hear a clunking noise when turning at slower speeds . Left and right . I feel its unsafe but I know the mechanic said everything was good to go. 

Any idea what this could be 

I just spend 350 to get this replaced and fixed. 

I hate the clunking noise it bugs me cause I know its probally something bad 

He did mention to get an alignment after but said no rush as I was gonna swap tires in a few weeks. 

Any helps is good 

Thanks 

7 minutes ago, jonolach said:

I can hear a clunking noise when turning at slower speeds

That sounds like the Constant Velocity joints are bad, and they're not too pricey to get them replaced at a drive-shaft shop.

Look under the car at the drive-shafts and see if any of the rubber boots on the drive joints are leaking lubricant - these joints usually last long if the rubber boots stay in tact.

47 minutes ago, 1004ron said:

That sounds like the Constant Velocity joints are bad, and they're not too pricey to get them replaced at a drive-shaft shop.

Look under the car at the drive-shafts and see if any of the rubber boots on the drive joints are leaking lubricant - these joints usually last long if the rubber boots stay in tact.

Thanks for the quick reply

I'll have a look in the morning 

Safe to drive still or should i use my 2nd vehicle?

Had a look and cv joints look to be fine 

I'm leaning more over to a upper strut mount ... when driving slowly and turning wheel back and forth to the right then left I hear a twangy noise. Like a springy noise 

I'll get it diagnosed and see :( starting to hate this vehicle 

Good likelihood of the strut mounts being bad.  Depending on mileage, you may want to replace struts AND strut mounts, and in pairs.  Maybe even the springs.  You can get assemblies from Summit Racing or put together your own from Rock Auto.  Motorcraft mounts and springs, Motorcraft or KYB struts.  Top choices.  KYB rides firmer than stock, and is a perfect goto for those with the Plus, Limited, or Sport.

• 2 months later...

Please reply if you find the issue.  My 2007 has had the mystery clunk for several years.  I've replaced the struts and mounts, the sway bar bushings and end links.  I've had two different mechanics look at it and they can't see anything that might be causing the issue.  The ball joints seem tight as do the tie rods.  I've been replacing parts as I get the funds to do it.  It's the wife's vehicle so it doesn't get driven much and isn't a priority, but the clunk is still annoying.