Transmission sliding through 3rd on low throttle

Cerberus

So i bought a 2016 Edge Sport AWD in Sept 19. Fun ride for sure, but i noticed when it shifts to 3rd the RPMs don't drop fully when it goes to 3rd if i'm @~ 25% throttle. 

Engine sound corresponds with tach indication so its not just a sensing or indication problem.

The RPMs drop a lot less when going to 3rd than when going to first & second (or 4th for that matter), and  after it goes to 3rd, it holds that rpm point as road speed increases which tells me it slipping.

Just before it reaches the point where it should shift to 4th, it finally catches 3rd fully (revs drops slightly),  then revs slightly higher with the continued increase of road speed, then drops fully to 4th.

I dropped it to a dealer who said they could not replicate it. I showed up and took the tech for a drive, fully describing the problem and what he would see before launch.

Then i replicated the problem.

The tech conceded that he saw what i saw but said its normal. (I'm a mechanic, don't jerk me around asshole)

I told him, no, it is not normal. I understand it is not slipping enough to throw a code, but that code parameter can be written out of a flash update.. 

i want it documented that you witnessed the problem and agree that it will likely cause a failure.

He agreed to my face but amended the write up to say that he witnessed a problem but finished with 'no problem found at this time'...

So anyway,  Just wondering if anyone else has had issues with these transmissions blowing up? Pretty sure its a 6F55 iirc, and the fluid is not good looking so i'm planning a dump & fill series in the next week or two along with a PTU drain & fill.

BTW i tried a vacuum drain tube through the dipstick hole and was only able to get about a quart out so thats a waste of time.. for future reference

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, akirby said:

Sounds like the torque converter.

ok.. i have to ask.. why?

are you saying 3rd uses a locked torque converter? or a switched state stator?

If it was doing this in every gear, in a normal trans, i'd agree

fwiw, it is under warranty (CPO + add-on from dealer) but i don't want it to fail on a road trip or something so i pay close attention to my machines

1 hour ago, Cerberus said:

ok.. i have to ask.. why?

are you saying 3rd uses a locked torque converter? or a switched state stator?

If it was doing this in every gear, in a normal trans, i'd agree

fwiw, it is under warranty (CPO + add-on from dealer) but i don't want it to fail on a road trip or something so i pay close attention to my machines

I believe the torque converter lockup starts in 3rd gear.  Just a guess though.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

I wanted to jump on and bump this rather than creating a new thread. I am experiencing this same issue with my 2016 Sport. 41k Miles, still under warranty. For me it does happen at lower throttle, but it is most noticeable at full or near full throttle. The car will shift, RPMS will drop with the shift but very sluggish acceleration, then the RPMS will drop further (approximately 3-500 RPM), sit there for a moment, and then finally it feels like it catches and the car accelerates through third with the power you'd expect in other gears. It also does this in 4th, but obviously that doesn't happen as much because you'd have to be going quite fast. It also happens on downshifts as well.

I took it in to the dealer and they said they could not replicate the problem. I'm not sure they really understood what was going on, and unfortunately given everything that is going on, we can't do a ride-along so I can demonstrate. I have an appointment with a different dealer next week, and I'm going to try to convince them to look more closely at it.

I consider this a big problem because it really hamstrings the acceleration on this car. Adding in 1-2 seconds of nothingness with the shift can really leave you stuck in a hole or in a bad spot if you needed to shoot a gap etc. and the power just suddenly isn't there. I came from an S4, and I bought this car because the acceleration felt excellent when I test drove it (1st and second mostly) but last night I couldn't get by a guy in a Subaru Crosstrek in time for a merge because my car was too busy daydreaming to downshift. Worth noting this happens in both Drive and Sport modes.

@Cerberus Did you ever get a resolution for this with the dealer? Did it ever get any worse? Anyone else had this problem? There doesn't seem to be much chatter about it online.

• 5 weeks later...

Well I just wanted to update this. I took it to a second dealer who spent 45 minutes driving it around. He said that he could definitely observe the symptom I was describing and that it didn't seem quite right, but that when he scanned the transmission everything was within spec for the shifts. He thinks it was just a delay in the torque converter lockup. A delay that on my most recent observation took at least 1.5 seconds of very little acceleration before actually grabbing.

On that same day while pulling into the dealership the car threw an adaptive steering fault code. There is a TSB out there for it and the resolution is replacing the steering wheel for $1,500. Ford would not help as the car was out of Bumper to Bumper warranty (4 yrs old 41k, still within powertrain but out of b2b).

Long story short I traded the Edge away this week. No point in having a twin turbo monster motor if you can't put the power to the wheels because the transmission doesn't feel like shifting. Wish I had a resolution or better story for you guys!

• 7 months later...
On 7/21/2020 at 12:17 PM, gyrocks said:

@Cerberus Did you ever get a resolution for this with the dealer? Did it ever get any worse? Anyone else had this problem? There doesn't seem to be much chatter about it online.

Sorry, i never saw this prior to now.. my notification emails don't work correctly on this site for some reason.

Perhaps i've been placed in the miserable user category.. wouldn't be the first time

Aaanyway, no, i never got anything even vaguely resembling any satisfaction on this problem, but, it never got worse either.

I have changed the trans fluid (seeing as how its so easy with the drain plug and all) but that did not seem like it changed anything in performance or functionality.

I plan on changing the trans fluid at every other oil change as long as I have the vehicle as a preventive measure.

and since you traded your vehicle in you may never read this, but i don't like leaving communications unanswered

Check for DTC if you have not already, sometimes you can have DTC without the check engine or service light on. I just took a trip over the Easter weekend and the car was not shifting correctly , I found a vacuum hose leak that was causing the problem. A hose was not snapped back on properly after the valve cover gasket swap. Don't know if a loose connector or vacuum leak is your problem, but it is a easy enough thing to check for. Or perhaps the previous owner did not do regular service on the vehicle. If the trans fluid is bad then I wold look into refreshing all the fluids in the car so you will have a base line for future service. I hope it is nothing too serious. Good luck

Edited by Xtra