Adaptive Cruise Control Does not Disengage on Accel

Mikey

I'm baffled why Ford decided to allow adaptive cruise control (not sure if this is true in non-adaptive mode?) to remain engaged when I step on the accelerator pedal?  Stepping on either pedal should disengage CC and instantly assert my authority over the machine.    E.G. if I'm following another vehicle at a "4 bar" setting and need to speed up slightly in order to change lanes it won't let me unless I reduce the bars or manually disengage via button or touching the brake.  

I would surmise that this defect is correctable in software.  How can I change it?

13 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I'm baffled why Ford decided to allow adaptive cruise control (not sure if this is true in non-adaptive mode?) to remain engaged when I step on the accelerator pedal?  Stepping on either pedal should disengage CC and instantly assert my authority over the machine.    E.G. if I'm following another vehicle at a "4 bar" setting and need to speed up slightly in order to change lanes it won't let me unless I reduce the bars or manually disengage via button or touching the brake.  

I would surmise that this defect is correctable in software.  How can I change it?

What M/Y? - consider putting that in your profile signature line and save being asked again.

My 2017 Sport does not behave like that.

I always have the follow distance set at 1 bar, and when I put my foot on the gas the distance control deactivates, release the gas and the speed and adaptive/distance control go back to normal.

Edited by 1004ron

3 minutes ago, 1004ron said:

I always have the follow distance set at 1 bar, and when I put my foot on the gas the distance control deactivates, release the gas and the speed and adaptive/distance control go back to normal.

I get some acceleration but then I feel the brake coming on so it's definitely "fighting" me.

3 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I get some acceleration but then I feel the brake coming on so it's definitely "fighting" me.

What M/Y? - consider putting that in your profile signature line and save being asked again.

Could it be that you're getting too close or approaching too rapidly and the anti-collision is cutting in, but if that's not it, yours is defective.

What's your M/Y owners manual say?

Edited by 1004ron

14 minutes ago, 1004ron said:

Could it be that you're getting too close or approaching too rapidly and the anti-collision is cutting in, but if that's not it, yours is defective.

What's your M/Y owners manual say?

Definitely not anti-collision (but that's another gripe I have for exiting traffic in front of me!)

Yes, with no car in front of me I can accel to faster then let off accel pedal and it goes back to the set-point speed.   I don't think that it good or necessary either so I consider it a defective idea by Ford.  Simple rules work best = "driver always has ultimate authority".

I should not have stated that it's "putting on the brake" - likely it's overriding the accelerator command from the pedal so it is just not allowing me to get any closer than the 4 bar setting.  (I use that mainly at night in sparse traffic on long trips so the situation is rare.  Like you I'm usually at 1 bar so there's not enough room for such a situation to occur anyway. )

Good idea - I'll pose the "gripe" in my signature line.

1 hour ago, 1004ron said:

My 2017 Sport does not behave like that.

My 2019 ST behaves like yours.  Accelerate disables the cruise, lane mind, and adaptive, until I let off the gas and it resumes to the set speed and other settings.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mikey said:

Yes, with no car in front of me I can accel to faster then let off accel pedal and it goes back to the set-point speed.   I don't think that it good or necessary either so I consider it a defective idea by Ford

Every cruise control I’ve ever had allows you to accelerate without cancelling cruise.  I think it’s a good feature.  No reason to disengage it if you’re trying to go faster.

• Like 3