Ptu fluid - filled with 23 oz and manual calls for 11 oz ?

Toby Moore

Just changed the ptu fluid in my 2015 ford edge sport and after filling it with around 23 oz plus, I read in my manual it that it calls for around 11 oz.  My Ford dealer sent me the specs that says it takes 23 Oz. Anyone else have this experience with the same model edge!

10 hours ago, Toby Moore said:

Just changed the ptu fluid in my 2015 ford edge sport and after filling it with around 23 oz plus, I read in my manual it that it calls for around 11 oz.  My Ford dealer sent me the specs that says it takes 23 Oz. Anyone else have this experience with the same model edge!

everything i have read says to fill it until the fluid pours back out the fill hole.

should be about 700ml from what i remember reading. not sure how that translates to ozs

• Like 1

Thats close to what I put in because my dealer sent me a detailed description on how to change it and it said 23 ounces. Just weird that my owners manual says half that.  I guess if I added fluid until it started coming out of the fill hole that’s pretty much fool proof.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/2/2020 at 9:35 PM, Toby Moore said:

I have a 2017 Ford edge Titanium and when I change my PTU fluid i use front wheel ramps that are max 1 foot high, and the fluid should fill right up to the top fill hole on the PTU and actually slightly above the hole so it leaks out slowly. So half way in middle of the top hole and while it's leaking I hurry up to seal the hole. Now if u can have your SUV leveled on a lift or something, then it should be filled right up to the bottom of top hole. So fill til it leaks out, and just let it leak til its done and seal it up. That will be perfectly filled. The only reason i fill slightly more if on ramps is because the fluid moves back a bit and will cause it to slightly leak out when u remove top fill plug before removing bottom drain plug. It's best if u can do it with SUV leveled. This way u just fill til it bleeds and stops, then seal. 

Edited by ThugFordEdge3.5

• 1004ron changed the title to Ptu fluid - filled with 23 oz and manual calls for 11 oz ?