2011-2014 3.7 V6 Edges still have internal coolant pump?

y2ksilverbullit

Were the water pumps updated to an external style(in front of )timing cover, or were they kept internal(inside )timing cover so they could still fail internally as on previous models? 

I know the 2011+ 3.7s were updated in the F150 & Mustang to external, but wasn't sure if Edges and other FWD based Fords/Lincolns were updated also...??

Looking at possibly upgrading my 2008 to a 2011-14 3.7 Edge.?

• 1004ron changed the title to 2011-2014 3.7 V6 Edges still have internal coolant pump?

In 2011 the 'internal' water pump was upgraded with better gaskets, a double roller chain to drive the pump and, I believe, an extra weep hole that helps give fair warning in the event of gasket failure.  The water pump in all 3.5 and 3.7 Edges are internal through 2018.  The engine was discontinued in the Edge in 2019 in favor of the 2.0L and 2.7L Ecoboost engines.

Regular maintenance including coolant changes every 30k miles along with oil changes as required seem to have reduced the failure problem significantly.  In fact complaints have 'almost' disappeared for Gen2.  The big issue now is coolant intrusion into the block of the 2.0L engine. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 years later...

WHY would Ford put an internal water pump in the engine?  I’ve kept meticulous maintenance through a Ford Dealership on my 2011 Ford Edge Limited. I had the engine light come on at 134k miles, I immediately pulled off the road and turned it off. I had it towed to the same Ford dealership. They told me it would cost 15k for a motor. Was this a scam on Ford’s part to make money or what?

On 5/20/2020 at 8:51 AM, Gadgetjq said:

In 2011 the 'internal' water pump was upgraded with better gaskets, a double roller chain to drive the pump and, I believe, an extra weep hole that helps give fair warning in the event of gasket failure.  The water pump in all 3.5 and 3.7 Edges are internal through 2018.  The engine was discontinued in the Edge in 2019 in favor of the 2.0L and 2.7L Ecoboost engines.

Regular maintenance including coolant changes every 30k miles along with oil changes as required seem to have reduced the failure problem significantly.  In fact complaints have 'almost' disappeared for Gen2.  The big issue now is coolant intrusion into the block of the 2.0L engine. 

Edited by 1004ron