3.5L V6 - Half Of Engine Has More Vibrations (Bank 2)

ThugFordEdge3.5

I have a 2017 Ford Edge Titanium AWD 3.5L V6. The other day I was looking over things under the hood, and when I placed my hand flat on top of the engine guard near the front end bank 1 while it was idling in park I felt hardly no vibration, just normal operation vibration. But when I slowly moved towards bank 2 with my hand constantly in contact with the top of engine with the engine guard in place i could start to feel more vibration going towards bank 2, and once i got there on top the bank 2 I can feel much more vibration then bank 1. It's not a fast vibration that has a tickle like to it, it's more of a slight shake that can't be seen with the eye, but felt only. I'd call it a shake that would be a vibration if lessened a bit. But either way it's noticeably shaking more then the front top of engine by bank 1. I also got under my vehicle while I was idling in park and I felt the bottom of Transmision where the flywheel black dust cover is, just beside it nearer to engine with my hand completely flat and I get almost the same vibration as bank 2 on top of engine. I then placed my hand under the oil pan and felt the same vibration there also. There doesn't seem to be any abnormal vibration like that anywhere else. Without having a second ford edge with the same motor with me, I can't really tell if this is normal or not, because if it wasnt for me actually feeling around I wouldn't of gotten any indication that something is off. Does anyone know about this or what it could be? If someone with a 3.5L V6 could feel the top of there engine next time there checking things out that would be greatly appreciated. 2 thoughts I'm having is a misfire, or worn out piston or pistons on that side of the engine that would be causing half the engine to have more vibration/shaking going on. I don't get any dash light warnings. Everything is running normal. If anyone has any advice or info on this I would greatly appreciate. Thank you. 

Edited by ThugFordEdge3.5

21 hours ago, handfiler said:

If the car runs well and your not hearing anything untoward and there are no codes coming up my best guess would be that you're spidy senses need recalibrating.

My only worry is if this half sided vibration would cause more wear on rear main seal and other infernal parts. Also camshaft synchronizer that just started making a chirping sound a day ago. I've already had my rear main seal replaced and I only have 37,000 km on my 2017 FORD EDGE so I'm wondering if it's all because of this slight off sided vibration. It may be a small vibration but it must be making thing wear out faster and on one side faster... making things even more unbalanced. It's a V6 so it should be perfectly balanced since each side is exact. I do all maintenance myself and I take good care of it so it just seems odd that I already had a rear seal leak and now this camshaft synchronizer chirping away. 

Edited by ThugFordEdge3.5

4 hours ago, ThugFordEdge3.5 said:

My only worry is if this half sided vibration would cause more wear on rear main seal and other infernal parts. Also camshaft synchronizer that just started making a chirping sound a day ago. I've already had my rear main seal replaced and I only have 37,000 km on my 2017 FORD EDGE so I'm wondering if it's all because of this slight off sided vibration. It may be a small vibration but it must be making thing wear out faster and on one side faster... making things even more unbalanced. It's a V6 so it should be perfectly balanced since each side is exact. I do all maintenance myself and I take good care of it so it just seems odd that I already had a rear seal leak and now this camshaft synchronizer chirping away. 

Isn't it still under warranty?

If so, best get it booked in and a job card opened clearly describing the symptoms and concerns, even if they claim nothing wrong, at least you'll have a record if something does go wrong some time later.

5 hours ago, 1004ron said:

Isn't it still under warranty?

If so, best get it booked in and a job card opened clearly describing the symptoms and concerns, even if they claim nothing wrong, at least you'll have a record if something does go wrong some time later.

It is still under warranty but the dealership in my city isn't all that great. I need to bring it out of town to a different dealership. It's a 3 hour drive to get there. So I was hoping to find out if this slight difference in vibration was normal. This way I could avoid the trouble. I  might just bring it to a local mechanic before going to ford dealership. 

4 hours ago, ThugFordEdge3.5 said:

It is still under warranty but the dealership in my city isn't all that great. I need to bring it out of town to a different dealership. It's a 3 hour drive to get there. So I was hoping to find out if this slight difference in vibration was normal. This way I could avoid the trouble. I  might just bring it to a local mechanic before going to ford dealership

Yes, taking it to a local mechanic for a diagnosis would be more practical than expecting someone on here could get a feel for what you're describing, and based on that you can decide on taking it to a dealership, but the local mechanics report wont help for warranty claims that could arise down the road.

3 hours ago, 1004ron said:

Yes, taking it to a local mechanic for a diagnosis would be more practical than expecting someone on here could get a feel for what you're describing, and based on that you can decide on taking it to a dealership, but the local mechanics report wont help for warranty claims that could arise down the road.

Very true. I'll need to bring the local mechanics report with me to the ford dealership once it's confirmed the vibration isn't regular. I got bumper to bumper til September 19th 2020 and engine/ transmission for another 2 years. I think I'll change the camshaft synchronizer myself. I looked at a few videos on how it's done and seem easy enough.