Radiator Fan Issue

I have read some of the posting having to do with the electric radiator fan issues on Ford Edge, but I have one that's a little weird.

If the vehicle has been parked for awhile (even on the hottest days) and the A/C controls were left on when the vehicle was shut down, the electric fan will not start running when the vehicle is turned on.  

After about 30 seconds, the fan will attempt to turn on and will get to full speed and then die, trying again in another 30 to 60 seconds.  If left to idle the fan will never come on and stay on.

I have replaced two radiator fan assemblies, with no joy... the work was performed by professional technicians but they're stumped.

From what I've read on here I suspect it isn't the fan at all but the part that activates the fan.  Can you identify that part for me so I can get this thing blowing cold at idle.

One more wrinkle, after I drive it a highway speeds, the fan works properly.

Thanks for the help.

Having the Tech who did the replacement get the information on what brand of fan and model number were installed.  He keeps insisting that the fan should not come on when first started, even if the A/C was left on (Auto Temp Control) until pressures build up in the A/C system.  On this point I really am convinced he's dead wrong because before the OEM fan system failed, you'd do a remote start and the radiator fans were going full blast... now, nothing.

I will have make and model Monday or Tuesday... evidently they don't keep a listing of parts installed on their customers vehicles which I find strange.

Regards,

Even though I sold Ford commercial trucks for 30 years, I never was mechanically inclined.  Ask me how something worked, or to do a power demand study, etc... hey, I was a whiz, but as one of the commercial truck engineers once said to me, "In your hands, a wrench becomes a weapon of mass destruction."  He was right.

2 hours ago, Bill In Sarasota said:

Even though I sold Ford commercial trucks for 30 years, I never was mechanically inclined.  Ask me how something worked, or to do a power demand study, etc... hey, I was a whiz, but as one of the commercial truck engineers once said to me, "In your hands, a wrench becomes a weapon of mass destruction."  He was right.

BD8B74B2-F0FB-40A6-8BE6-0A58155EE76F.png

The cooling fan assembly manufacturer is Pacific Best, and it has the tow package one it.  I found Pacific Best, the model number of the fan assembly is PF6217.  

Just to run over the situation once more:

1. First start in the AM... Auto Climate Control left in "on" position overnight... (and FL is a really warm climate even over night).  Vehicle starts, but fan does not.  After about a minute or so, the fan tries to cycle on, but as the fan gets to speed it dies and fan stops.  This pattern continues every 45 seconds, but the cooling fan never stays on.

2. First drive of morning, air passing over condenser causes A/C to blow cold.  After about a mile or so, the fan comes on and stays on through the completion of the trip.  Vehicle may be shut off and parked for a bit, and the fan comes right on and maintains speed when vehicle restarted remotely or with me sitting in the seat and pushing start button.

When I originally got the vehicle and until the fan unit failed, the cooling fans would always come on and cycle up to full speed and stay there, and that's the way I understand it should be.

Thanks for all your help.

4 hours ago, Bill In Sarasota said:

The cooling fan assembly manufacturer is Pacific Best, and it has the tow package one it.  I found Pacific Best, the model number of the fan assembly is PF6217. 

On 6/20/2020 at 11:11 AM, Bill In Sarasota said:

Didn't come up with anything except the Ford OEM is the best...  Knew that was probably the case, but the dealer wanted to charge me almost quadruple... I would have gone for double, and this particular dealer doesn't have the best repair reputation.

Looks like it's going to cost you the Motorcraft price and the Pacific Best.

Those previous threads on the same subject are most useful to avoid this scenario.

54 minutes ago, Bill In Sarasota said:

So, are you saying that only Motorcraft can successfully make parts for Ford vehicles?

Not at all.  We’re saying that we’ve seen very few if any aftermarket fan assemblies that actually work correctly.  Most don’t work at all.  Some work for awhile.  I’ve probably heard of half a dozen or more dormans that were bad out of the box.  But Ive never heard or seen an issue with Motorcraft.  Has nothing to do with other parts, just fans.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bill In Sarasota said:

So, are you saying that only Motorcraft can successfully make parts for Ford vehicles?

Most certainly, and you'd have read in the other same topic threads that third party replacements for these fans are particularly problematic. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorcraft

Ford launched this auto parts division in 1972 to provide replacement parts and original equipment parts. 

https://www.motorcraft.com/

https://parts.ford.com/en/us/resources/motorcraft

• 2 months later...

Before you begin, pull the codes. This isn't a normal situation and the car should be sitting codes.

Theres basically only two parts that could be the cause (inasmuch as you have replaced the fans, twice).

1. The fan control module. I assume your mechanic replaced the module along with the fan assemblies. If not I'd suspect the module.

2. PCM.  Try a reset. Disconnect the negative battery terminal and leave it disconnected for at least 20 minutes to allow the PCM to drain (internal capacitors). Once you restart, the PCM will relearn your car. 

• 1 year later...

What if you replace the radiator fan assembly and the fans are not working g, but my husband replaced to new module with the old module and the fans now come on but are not running fast at all. They only stay on till the compressor starts and then they kick off and the engine gets hot.

On 6/21/2022 at 11:30 AM, Kim_H said:

... but my husband replaced to new module with the old module and the fans now come on but are not running fast at all. They only stay on till the compressor starts and then they kick off and the engine gets hot.

If your husband replaced the fan assembly with an aftermarket unit, it's been found that they are often wired wrong. (Rewiring has been discussed in the forum in the past).

Edited by enigma-2

On 6/27/2022 at 1:59 AM, enigma-2 said:

If your husband replaced the fan assembly with an aftermarket unit, it's been found that they are often wired wrong. (Rewiring has been discussed in the forum in the past).

Hi, I am new here and having this issue with my radiator fan assembly. Replaced it with 3 brand new ones and none of them will turn on. What are my options? Since apparently aftermarket fans have been known not to work due to being wired wrong, I guess my question is which brand fan assembly *will* work for my 2013 Ford Edge limited? Engine size 3.5 V6. 

• Like 1

One other problem noted with aftermarket (especially Dorman) is the connector may need to be forced on, past the point where it seems seated. At least one person commented that his was loose and had to use a wire tie to secure the connector. Also aftermarket fan assemblies have been noted causing excessive vibration and/or noise. You can't go wrong with Motorcraft.