Failing Backup Camera in '16 Ti

It's not uncommon to see threads about failing backup cameras in the Gen 1 Edge but pretty rare to see one in a Gen 2. 
The camera in my '16 Ti is slowly dying.  Sometimes it displays a perfect image but others it's very dark (but rightside up).  If I stay in reverse for long with that dark display I get a popup message saying "Camera not available."  
So, a question.  Is replacement inevitable or has someone discovered a cure for this (so far) intermittent problem?

Thanks!

Probably have to get a new camera. My 2011 Mustang has a brightness and contras as separate adjustments. It is like a high definition camera. Our 2014 Edge Limited doesn't have any adjustments. It only has a brightness adjustment which at the same time controls the brightness of the dash display for all the gauge cluster. The reverse camera looks like crap on the Edge, so I feel like I'll have to buy a new camera in the near future. Good luck on your problem and keep us posted on the final outcome :)

6 hours ago, Gadgetjq said:

Hi David,

I'll be visiting a local 'pick-a-part' or two in the coming week.  Hopefully I can salvage a camera from a wrecked Edge or other Ford (just guessing they use pretty much the same camera at least across SUV lines).  Stay tuned! ?

As per the parts description here, this camera is only for 2015-2018 Edges! So you will be limited in your search. I think the problem is from the camera being powered on all the time as long as the ignition is on, not only when the camera image is displayed. During hot days (4-5 months of the year here!) the camera image becomes grainy after a long drive (my interpretation: hot camera), turn off the Edge for ~10 minutes and the camera image becomes clear. I had also faced the same issue in my previous 2011 MKX. Having the camera powered on all the time will definitely reduce its life span.

Edit: By the way, if you are up to part scavenging, maybe also try to retrofit a rear Camera washer ? and post a guide on your website. 

Edited by omar302