Can't get the spark plug coil connector seated back in??

robrivers

This is driving me crazy, 2 of the 6 coil connectors just won't clip all the way on to the plug coils and I can't figure out any reason why. I did finally get one of the two on after fighting with it on and off for days but I don't know how! 

I even removed the red lock tab entirely thinking maybe I mangled it when popping them off but that's not the issue. The remaining plastic clip that locks onto the little nub presses freely until I try to connect it to the coil then it gets pretty tight. But I'm like 1/8" or so from the connector fully seating and locking onto the tab.

I Still can't get the last one in place the pins and receptacles on each side look fine, the only thing I can think of is there is an orange rubber kind of membrane at the end of the connector inside the black housing that maybe due to the heat outside the parts have expanded and preventing it from pushing in? Assuming that part is for waterproofing, I tried poking it a bit and reconnecting but that did a whole lot of nothing.

I'm out of ideas, luckily this is not my daily driver.

3 hours ago, handfiler said:

Never had an issue when doing plugs on my Mustang. You didn't mention what year and model which is a useful starting point but here's a link for replacement connectors that fit most Fords from 2011 and up: Coil Connector

Shoot it's a 2009 Ford Edge. I have some dialectic, worth a shot. The engines pretty much a goner anyway so I guess this doesn't matter much. Water pump blew and dumped a good amount of coolant into the oil pan, while simultaneously blowing something up under the radiator because coolant flowed like a river out of the front side of the car. When I drained the oil coolant came out first then a muddy mess followed. 180k on it, we have 2 other cars so may just get rid of it after I poke around a bit.