Nav Map version in SYNC INFO not updated after map update

I have a 2019 Edge ST.  I recently attempted to update my Maps from NA 1-18 to NA 1-19.  I had no problem in preparing and  loading the USB stick to update my maps.  I followed the instructions that I downloaded with the update data files.  To my surprise  after turning  my car "off" and back "on" at the completion of the map update, the map version number in the SYNC INFO  section was still NA 1-18.  I contacted customer support and the person was clueless.  She told told me that for this  version ONLY of maps, i needed to purchase the $40 loaded USB memory stick.  I didn't believe her.  I tried reloading my USB stick but did not get the upgrade confirmation  text screens that appeared the first time.   it seemed like SYNC could not recognize the auto install file on USB stick.   I reformatted my USB stick and performed the USB stick preparation and load from scratch.  Again,  it appeared that SYNC could not recognise the auto install file since I did not get the update confirmation  text screens that appeared the first time.   If I attempted to update the maps to the version that was the same as the loaded version, would the attempt be ignored with the results I experienced?   I decided that it was time for a little research.

This did not answer the question  I asked in the previous paragraph but,  in another forum, several of the members mentioned that SYNC v3.3 had a bug that prevented the updated map version from being presented in the SYNC INFO section after a map update. Very possible explanation for what I have experienced.

Has anyone running SYNC V3.3 attempted to update their maps from version NA 1-18 to NA 1-19?  Is the correct  updated map version  displayed in the SYNC INFO section?

I just noticed that there is a new SYNC V3.4.43 available for my car.  Maybe it will correct the updated nav map ver. # problem

Edited by BillE
typo

In that case, SYNC 3.4.43 must erase any evidence that map ver. 1-19 was previously loaded by SYNC 3.3.  As I mentioned before  SYNC 3.3 will not even let me attempt an update with the same map version. The auto install file doesn't work. It is like it needs to identify an earlier version before it attempts an update.

Apparently the latest release of SYNC 3.4.43 is also buggy and has been retracted.  When I try to download it, I get an Oops statement.   If and when  Ford fixes SYNC v3.4.43 and I can download and install, I will answer the question about whether the displayed map version in the SYNC info section was corrected and if was not,  if I can reinstall NA 1-19. 

Apparently there is another way using the IVSU version screen in the diagnostics mode to determine the actual map version being used.  Can anyone explain how to do it?   I  can't be sure that  I successfully updated the maps from NA 1-18 to NA 1-19 using SYNC v3.3 with the map version bug.

I have successfully installed V3.4.43 on saturday (I downloaded it before it was retracted. No bugs so far) and have downloaded the NA 119 maps to install this weekend. Will let you know if the Maps version gets updated. Currently showing NA117 although I had installed NA118 when it was made available.

3 hours ago, BillE said:

Apparently the latest release of SYNC 3.4.43 is also buggy and has been retracted.  When I try to download it, I get an Oops statement.   If and when  Ford fixes SYNC v3.4.43 and I can download and install, I will answer the question about whether the displayed map version in the SYNC info section was corrected and if was not,  if I can reinstall NA 1-19. 

Apparently there is another way using the IVSU version screen in the diagnostics mode to determine the actual map version being used.  Can anyone explain how to do it?   I  can't be sure that  I successfully updated the maps from NA 1-18 to NA 1-19 using SYNC v3.3 with the map version bug.

If you have a 2019 model year the 3.4.43 is not buggy.  They had issues with some 2020 model year updates missing a file so they took the entire user update off line until they fix it.  If you downloaded it for a 2019 prior to it being taken down you are fine.

The new SYNC3 download became available again this afternoon.  I downloaded and installed what the instructions said was SYNC3 V3.4.43,  I disabled autostop, plugged in the usb stick, waited for the updating message to start and  then went in the house. I checked the status in 30 minutes and it still said updating.  I came back after  40 minutes and it still said updating.  I removed the USB stick and it still said updating.  Since it said updating no matter whether the USB stick was in or out, I figured it was complete.  I turned the car off, waited 20 seconds and turned the car back on.  SYNC came back on and appeared to be working.  I checked the SYNC INFO section and it said that the car was running SYNC3 V3.4 (not V3.4.43 as stated in the instructions that were provided??).  Is the SYNC3 V3.4 the latest version.

The map version was (incorrectly??) reported as NA 1-18 even though I loaded NA 1-19 with SYNC3 V3.3.  The map version was not updated from NA 1-18 to NA 1-19 by SYNC3 V3.3.  When I have an opportunity I will load NA 1-19.

The have an issue with the update re-running...apparently it is missing a command in the final line.

It should be:

Options = AutoInstall,Delay

It is missing the Delay command which I was told makes it run only once otherwise it keeps looping the install

7 hours ago, BillE said:

Are you implying that there might be a problem with my SYNC update?  I was able to notify Ford with the file written to the USB stick at the conclusion of the update. 

They left out the command "delay" as noted in my post.  What this means is that the install package will run until completed,  then the unit will say it is restarting and a brief message pops up saying the update is done and to remove the USB but then it will restart on its own and repeat the installation over and over doing the same thing.  Its an endless loop of installs.  This confuses people.

When the delay command is added it runs once and halts at the remove the usb message.

This is how to get into the IVSU menu using bezel diagnostics

Turn on the radio.

Press and hold seek forward on both the EFP and steering wheel for 10 seconds

end the speaker walk-around

select APIM

select IVSU Version

I was able to install Sync 3.4 and new 1.19 maps last night.  I am using an external SSD drive.  It took about 45 min to complete both installs.   I had done 1.19 map update first on Sync 3.3 before.  Sync 3.3 would not show the correct version but in the APIM menu it was the correct version.  I also had an issue where the voice nav was not working after the install.  The voice navigation was not working after the install last night.  The radio was rebooted a few time.  But this morning when I tired the voice navigation everything was working how it should. 

This is the Version in IVSU  (4U5T-14G422-CAF is for the Voice Navigation Commands)

20200805_174807.thumb.jpg.ee763792fdabe2ebdfd30fe9e2e20206.jpg

M-R-E-D-G-E,

Thank you for the update.  I will try the IVSU menu.  In the IVSU are versions for Sync 3  and NAV maps presented in readable text or must I know the corresponding  version numbers.

In the  SYNC INFO section of SYNC settings is your SYNC version  listed as SYNC V3.4.3 or SYNC V3.4.43  (as per the instructions.)  Mine says SYNC V3.4.3

Thank you.

On 8/3/2020 at 1:24 PM, jmr061 said:

Installing the latest release of 3.4 after the map update will not reflect the updated maps either.  You will have to re-run the map update after installing 3.4, at least that is what I have heard.

On 8/3/2020 at 7:14 PM, jmr061 said:

Let us know if it allows a reinstall of the maps.

What you heard is correct. Maps updated  on SYNC V3.3 will not indicate correct version in SYNC INFO. The map update can be repeated with SYNC V3.4 and  the correct map version will be indicated In SYNC INFO..

On 8/4/2020 at 10:48 AM, ONEDGE16 said:

I have successfully installed V3.4.43 on saturday (I downloaded it before it was retracted. No bugs so far) and have downloaded the NA 119 maps to install this weekend. Will let you know if the Maps version gets updated. Currently showing NA117 although I had installed NA118 when it was made available.

I installed the maps update yesterday and it is showing NA 119 version

20200809_120132.jpg

1 hour ago, ONEDGE16 said:

I installed the maps update yesterday and it is showing NA 119 version

20200809_120132.jpg

What version of SYNC is shown on that same screen that you show above?  Mine shows SYNC3, Software Version: 3.4 ( or V3.3.4).   I wonder what happen to the V3.4.43 that was mentioned in the instructions?