Updated My 2013 Edge Sync From 2.x to 3.1

19 hours ago, DaBoz said:

Followed the recommended Ford update procedures for Sync and I was able to obtain RDS on bluetooth and FM stations!

Looke here:

https://help.ford.com/update-sync/usb/

I went to the update site, followed the instructions but have had no luck.

1) Entered my VIN.

2) Downloaded the ZIP file.

3) Formatted two USB drives to ExFAT as directed by website.

4) Extracted the ZIP file to the USB drive (note that the extracted file layout (Mac) did not match the website - the tar files were in the root folder, not in a SyncMyRide folder.)

5) Fired up the 2019 Edge (which has SYNC Version 3.3 Build 18201_PRODUCT).

6) Inserted USB drive and the message "This USB device is not supported. Please remove".  Tried both USB drives on both USB ports.  Same error.

7) Formatted the USB drives as FAT32.  Tried 6) above - same result.

8) Formatted a USB drive back to ExFAT, created a SyncMyRide folder and placed tar files there to match the website screenshot layout.  Same error message.

9) Connected the car to WiFi and selected Auto Updates > Search for Updates (command may be different).  Searched for 3-4 minutes twice, each time no message displayed, good or bad.

End of sob story.  Both USB drives work fine on my Mac, regardless of format.  If anyone has some insight as to what I'm doing wrong or suggestions for an alternative approach, please respond.  Thanks.

Sync used to have the limitation of FAT-32 (only, and it was fussy about the format, had to be a clean format, not a quick wipe) and a 4 gig drive limitation. (But others have used 32 gig without problems).

BTW, some have reported problems with USB drives formatted with a MAC computer. If you used a MAC try formatting with a Windows computer.

Edited by enigma-2