Alignment woes...

My 2016 Edge Sport was in for an alignment.  31,000 miles.  Dealer confirmed nothing was bent.  This was the “best they could do” with the alignment and told me they can’t adjust the camber and it’s off by nearly two degrees on the left front.  Something seems off to me.  Am I off base?

2A96C159-508F-406D-8998-E6F0AD1E7EB9.jpeg

Edited by shumax

Was the alignment for driving symptoms, or just a routine check?  Was it ever in an accident?

Does it drift/pull in any particular direction with the steering wheel pointed straight ahead? A gen 1.5 fix was to realign the subframe, if nothing else pans out, check that.  Def inspect the control arms closely, also tie rods.

Second opinion at the least.

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W

Never in an accident.  This vehicle had the engine replaced, under warranty, for the leaking valve seals.  So, I can see how the subframe alignment issue could come into play.  But!  It’s had two alignments at a Firestone - that has a state of the art alignment machine - and all has been well in the past.  Just minor adjustments.  So, I wonder if this dealers machine is “off?”   The vehicle does not pull and goes down the road straight.  That further supports my theory on this shops machine.  

I am friends with the folks at the Firestone and am going there next Sunday to dig into it more and see what’s up.  

Shumax

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure what to make of this other than to go with my gut.  When I got the alignment sheet from my dealer, something didn't seem right to me.  The car tracked down the road fine.  Even looking at the wheels, they did not look cambered in/out.  I appreciate that's a rough way to look at things, but I do have an eye for it.  I didn't notice anything appreciable.  Further, the machine at my dealership is likely as old as I am  The one at Firestone is just a handful of years old, is a recessed machine and cost nearly $100k, I was told.  It's state of the art, as best I can tell.

Given that, the readings at Firestone were fine for Camber.  The toe was out ever so slightly on that tie rod in the front the dealer said the jam nut was loose on.  Just a bit, though.  We adjusted that and everything else was perfect.  Steer ahead is now 0.00 in the front; thrust angle is -0.01 in the rear.  

I won't get down on my dealer, though.  Things happen and I give them a lot of credit for helping me easily get the engine replaced on the vehicle - had the smoking issue.  All has been fine with it since.  May just avoid them for future alignments... :)

On to replace the brakes next...
Shumax

• Like 2