Cylinder #2 misfire

Chad-T

I would swap the coil with #5 and see if the misfire moves.  Even if it does not, at least a suspect coil is now easily accessible.

Have you checked codes stored in the PCM?  misfires can be due to plugs, coils, pcm or fuel injectors (usually). 

To replace any of the injectors, the intake has to come off to get to the fuel rail.

• Like 1

It seems that it's always the plugs/coils in the back.  I just did my #2 coil pack and replaced all the plugs and coil boots.  The coils in the back run hotter than the 3 in the front because the intake manifold is over them and heat is an electronics killer.  At 150,000 miles I think it will be the last time they will need changing.  ?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 8/22/2020 at 8:42 PM, WWWPerfA_ZN0W said:

if your Edge is a 2007-2008, i would plan on doing the rest soon.  there is a known issue with worn plugs causing the coils to fry in turn frying the coil drivers in the pcm.  it becomes a vicious cycle if you do not address all the components at the same time.

Is this an issue on 2010 edges??? I do not have a misfire code...but do have a slight hesitation. I have a wrench light and just did the TSS and OSS, Still have a light so Im doing the plugs and maybe coils but motorcraft coils are so expensive. 

2 hours ago, pulverizer said:

Is this an issue on 2010 edges??? I do not have a misfire code...but do have a slight hesitation. I have a wrench light and just did the TSS and OSS, Still have a light so Im doing the plugs and maybe coils but motorcraft coils are so expensive. 

Why are you swapping parts without reading the codes first?  Could be the throttle body.

On 10/8/2020 at 7:37 PM, akirby said:

Why are you swapping parts without reading the codes first?  Could be the throttle body.

There are no codes to read. I just changed out the throttle position sensor that controls the throttle body today....still have a wrench light. Clearing the ecm.....see if that helps but I feel it is a bad plug or coil. Would be nice to see a code.

On 10/15/2020 at 11:26 PM, WWWPerfA_ZN0W said:

if you think it is a misfire, you should read mode 6 data in obd software like Forscan Lite.  that will show you misfire counts.  i hope it is not a coolant leak!

I will see f I can get that done. I really dont know if its a "misfire" issue...have never heard one. I also cant really say it is hesitating noticeably . It feels  more like heavy pulling or just not as much get up and go. Never died running or hard starts. Just has the wrench light......and now wrench light comes on every time I drive it. It generally  has to move though to get the light on. I really dont know what in the world it can be.........coolant leak? It was slightly low in the reserve once. I did disconnect the coolant line when doing the TSS/OSS so I will watch it...though I really have not drove it as I didnt want to mess up the ECM if it was a coil issue......stresses me out. 

Edited by pulverizer