2015 AC compressor locked up

Curious if anyone has had this happen before and what you paid to fix it?

114k miles, 2.0T titanium, was working perfectly up until a couple days ago.  Remote started the car to cool it down and heard a click followed by relative quiet (from the fans coming off high) as we were loading in to leave.  Immediately after, zero AC.

Took it to a dealer, they say the compressor seized and sent trash through the system.  They say pretty much everything except the condenser was damaged.  Total is $2500 (roughly $1500 labor / $1000 parts) for replacing all the bad parts, flushing out the system, and refilling.

Thoughts?  This is the first compressor failure I've ever had and mileage seems pretty low for it to have happened.  Price is also more than I was expecting.

Honestly kinda weighing fixing it vs selling private party as is.  I know we'd probably take an equal beating selling it private party with the issue, but honestly I'm getting a bit tired of all the failures this car has had since new.  Its been by far the most problematic car we've had - this just happens to be the most expensive issue so far.

• 2 weeks later...

Thoughts. ...

You're going to take a $2500 hit if you fix it or sell it (by dropping the price 2.5k). 

If you still like the car, its cheaper than buying a new one.

(This is when those pesky extended warranties come in handy). ?

I had something simular on the Sable I owned (only the compressor didn't fail, something kicked it to shut it all down when the gas and oil leaked out).

Even though it was old. I just bit the bullet and fixed it. (Loved the Sable, most comfortable seats I've ever had in a car. Great car, body/frame rusted out from under it.)

I would seriously consider a second opinion.  I don't much if anything at all about the AC system in our edges.  But I had a compressor seize in a Acura legend and the mechanic replaced the compressor and flushed/ recharged the system........The repair lasted for the next three years until I sold her. 

If the automotive AC industry is anything like HVAC industry wait (if its possible) until the fall (think October were still scheduled for 90s where I'm located) and get it repaired. HVAC guys charge a premium for servicing units during the summer. 

Also look into a private mechanic. You might be able to get them to take a haircut and a shave on the parts and labor.