2019 Edge Engine Oil amount/capacity

2019WhiteEdge

2 hours ago, 2019WhiteEdge said:

Hello all,

Took the Escape 2.0L in for an oil change at the dealership. Was told that they put 6 quarts in while the manual says that it takes 5.5 quarts. Is the extra half quart going to cause any problems?

Manual says 5.7 quarts.  Dealer rounds up to the nearest quart on invoice.  Did you bother checking to see if it is overfilled on the dipstick?  If overfilled by 0.3 quart, not likely to cause an issue, but dealer ought to be notified if that is the case, because it would be sloppy workmanship.

1 hour ago, dolsen said:

Certainly it isn't designed for that much oil, but I'm sure there is some room for additional oil without greatly spiking the oil pressure and blowing the motor. I would imagine that an extra .5 quarts won't hurt it unless you love to red line the engine often

There isn't 'room' for additional oil, hence there is a max and a min level on the dipstick.  Overfilled oil does not spike oil pressure.  If overfilled enough the crankshaft splashes in it, causing frothing of the oil.  Frothing causes problems whether or not the engine is revved higher.

18 minutes ago, todd92 said:

There isn't 'room' for additional oil, hence there is a max and a min level on the dipstick.  Overfilled oil does not spike oil pressure.  If overfilled enough the crankshaft splashes in it, causing frothing of the oil.  Frothing causes problems whether or not the engine is revved higher.

Ok... I didn't mean literal room. OBVIOUSLY you aren't filling the engine cavity full of oil to the very top. However having too much oil absolutely can cause high oil pressure and cause issues with blowing seals and cause issues with blow-by. It will obviously leak at the weakest seal in the engine, whichever seal that may be. My point is that I'm sure there is more than enough space to be able to adequately allow the oil to flow to other parts of the engine and be used without frothing issues (which can lead to oil starvation) because the oil doesn't simply sit in the pain waiting to touch the crankshaft lobes or connecting rods. Truthfully I do not know what the high limit is, but it is certainly more than a half quart (or in this case .3 quarts).

• 1004ron changed the title to 2019 Edge Engine Oil amount/capacity
20 hours ago, 2019WhiteEdge said:

Hello all,

Took the Escape 2.0L in for an oil change at the dealership. Was told that they put 6 quarts in while the manual says that it takes 5.5 quarts. Is the extra half quart going to cause any problems?

The service shop just round off for the billing - the dipstick is what you need to be concerned with.

Slightly above normal on the dipstick isn't an issue.

BTW, is it an Edge or Escape?

Edited by 1004ron