'16 Battery Dead Suddenly. Why?

kone

New to me 16 Edge 3.5.  Been driving it problem free for a few weeks now.  Tonight went to dinner and after 1.5 hrs came out and the car wouldn't start.  Clicked.  Exterior lights must've been going wacky cause people on the patio were staring at the car.  Got a jump and got her home, on the charger now.  Haven't tested yet but battery looks new, posts are clean as a whistle.

Any known issues where I can look for draw, Parasitic or otherwise?  Anything to look for? First thing I thought was maybe a door didn't close then I read some about door latch issues - does that include this generation/year? 

Thanks!

There is a possibility that you have the original battery. The battery just went in my brothers 2015 edge sport.  I would suggest going to advanced auto or autozone and let them test your battery and charging system.  They will do it for free in hopes of freeing your wallet of its monies. 

Seriously though if your battery is greater than 3 years old you are due for a new one.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, onyxbfly said:

There is a possibility that you have the original battery. The battery just went in my brothers 2015 edge sport.  I would suggest going to advanced auto or autozone and let them test your battery and charging system.  They will do it for free in hopes of freeing your wallet of its monies. 

Seriously though if your battery is greater than 3 years old you are due for a new one.

Yes, thanks.  Trying to determine how old battery is.  Very difficult to find code(s) from where they stuck this thing (now I'm betting the heat gets to them faster with little airflow). I find a code stamped on top, pos post end, that says "14/03/16  Y60". Is that the date code?  Not what I'm used to seeing.  It's a "FOMOCO" battery so I'm leaning oem battery. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, kone said:

Yes, thanks.  Trying to determine how old battery is.  Very difficult to find code(s) from where they stuck this thing (now I'm betting the heat gets to them faster with little airflow). I find a code stamped on top, pos post end, that says "14/03/16  Y60". Is that the date code?  Not what I'm used to seeing.  It's a "FOMOCO" battery so I'm leaning oem battery. 

Certainly sounds like the OEM battery to me. Battery codes come in a variety of styles. Yours looks like it is DDMMYY. That would mean that your battery born on date would be March 14th, 2016.  With all the bells and whistles my brothers sport has, we decided to go with a battery from a 19' edge st with start/ stop.  Its a bigger battery and they will not want to install it for you.  I think they do not want to be responsible if anything goes askew. 30 minutes later and it was done!

4 minutes ago, onyxbfly said:

Certainly sounds like the OEM battery to me. Battery codes come in a variety of styles. Yours looks like it is DDMMYY. That would mean that your battery born on date would be March 14th, 2016.  With all the bells and whistles my brothers sport has, we decided to go with a battery from a 19' edge st with start/ stop.  Its a bigger battery and they will not want to install it for you.  I think they do not want to be responsible if anything goes askew. 30 minutes later and it was done!

Thanks again.  I was able to get a look at the code that was melted into the side of the case edge.  It is CN5X.  I'm guessing this code is the manufacture date and the other date 14/03/16 possibly is the install date at the factory? This date isn't hard stamped, it's more printed.

Either way, pretty clear it's the oem battery and could be more than 5 years old.

• Like 1

My Sport bought new in March 2017 battery has shown than its nearing end of life, which is about when you can expect it to need replacement.

I can tell because the time with it on ACC power before the warning to start the engine or shut down, has reduced considerably - I have one of the Jump Start packs so will wait to replace the battery when starts showing signs of a slow start.

Edited by 1004ron
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, kone said:

Thanks again.  I was able to get a look at the code that was melted into the side of the case edge.  It is CN5X.  I'm guessing this code is the manufacture date and the other date 14/03/16 possibly is the install date at the factory? This date isn't hard stamped, it's more printed.

Either way, pretty clear it's the oem battery and could be more than 5 years old.

This is the same size battery that brother uses.